3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Beginning bowhunting  (Read 306 times)

Offline Colin06

• Trad Bowhunter
Beginning bowhunting
« on: April 17, 2016, 05:38:00 AM »
Hi, I have just had my first season bowhunting & have relised that I have so very much to learn (DUH!!) I am trying to find out about how to hunt wild boar & deer, chamois & mouflon (I live in the south of France) & it's really difficult finding someone who can teach me the specifics of scouting, tracking & finding these animmals.
Can anyone out there recommend any really good books, videos or websites that I can use to learn what I need to do? Preferably ones with loads of pictures & photos as a picture speaks a thousand words. Thanks guys

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Beginning bowhunting
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 08:32:00 AM »
David Petersen's "Going Trad" is pretty good.  It is entertaining, and while it doesnt go extremely in depth, I think it will point out to you some important basics which apply to bow hunting and being out in the woods in general.  He is primarily an elk hunter, but what he talks about will apply to hunting pretty much any wild game.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline Sixgun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
Colin06,

This (Trad Gang)is a wonderful website to search for what you are asking for.

I can also recommend the Professional Bowhunters Society website. It is also filled with quality advice and tips for bowhunting.

http://www.probowsociety.net/forum/index.php

I can also recommend joining a local "outdoorsman / sportsman" club. That is also a great way to network and possibly find someone to mentor you.

Finally, try to attend any traditional "shoots" that are close to you. I find the people to be very friendly and very willing to share information and experiences.

Best of luck to you on your bowhunting journey!

Ray
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there.

Fred Bear

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 09:17:00 AM »
All aspects of hunting take time and work to learn. One thing we all do is to study the characteristics and habits of the animals themselves. Knowing what they eat, the type of habitat they prefer, etc. helps you immensely. If you know where the animals prefer to bed or to eat, you have a heads up, because you then find those kinds of areas on your hunting property. This is an over simplification, but it is a good starting point. They rest is scouting and experience along with lots and lots of fun.
Sam

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 11:37:00 AM »
If you like podcasts I do one every week about all the stuff you are looking for already have over 160 hour long episodes published and free to listen to, download, etc.
Click my link in the signature and it will take you there.
Blood trailing, scouting, hunting, equipment, patterning animals, reading sigh, processing animals, tuning, etc. Hours and hours of the info you are looking for is there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©