3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Has anyone shot Forrester Wood Shaft arrows?  (Read 742 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Has anyone shot Forrester Wood Shaft arrows?
« on: April 19, 2016, 07:05:00 AM »
If you have, how did they shoot for you? Did you find durability to be better than with traditional soft wood shafts?  Can you order the same length arrow as you typically do with softwood arrows and still get the same spine with the Forrester shafts? What other insights can you share about these shafts.

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Has anyone shot Forrester Wood Shaft arrows?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 07:39:00 AM »
The Mahogany shafts I made up were straight, consistent in spine and had very pretty grain. They flew well and to me durability was just about like Douglas Fir.

Offline Mud_Slide_Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 08:20:00 AM »
I shoot them quite a bit.  I have the red balau and mahogany shafts and they fly great!  My mahogany are barrel tapered 23/64 to 11/32 to the front and down to 5/16 to my self nocks.  They are a little heavier than fir.  He can make ya a test pack as well so you can try different wood.  The grain on the mahogany is outstanding.  Durability is fantastic.
Bill-
Luke 10:18-20
>>>---------->

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
I've thought about using these....

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »
what do they typically cost per doz.
they look pretty awesome

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 09:57:00 AM »
I received a doz. red balua from Kevin and they were the best matched shafts I ever bought. 5/16 Weighed within 3 grains of each other perfectly straight.  The shafts were 57-60 spine  fly great out of my 47# recurve with 5.5 shield feathers finished weight 645 grains with 145 head.  I also bought his front of center shafts where the first 2-3" are 11/32 and the rest of shaft is 5/16 extra weight and strength up front. Just be sure to tell him exactly what you want. I also bought some mahogany shafts which are very nice but for my money the red Balau is the way to go.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
I have some red balau...tapered.  11/32 to 5/16.  The wood is not typical grain like hardwoods...and at least for red balau...is more like a grass with interlocking fibers so are very resiliant but also appear to hold straightness very well.  They are very durable as well....

I got mine through a trade of some materials Mr Forrester needed....they are a bit more than avg cedar shafts but they seem to be top quality and very very durable.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »
I would definately order a test pak. You will want to know what spine softwood shaft shoots tunes with  a 125-145g point before you order because you really don't want to put  200g point on these cause they are already heavy enough.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 02:31:00 PM »
Thx for all the great info, guys!

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 06:15:00 PM »
Kevin will match you up really well.  Depending on spine, you may need a longer arrow because some woods will meet your spine requirements at 5/16" diameter and then he'll swage the last 1 1/2" up to 11/32" so you can use 11/32" points/broadheads.  He'll add length to compensate for the bell.

I had two Mahogany shafts break behind the point, but fixed them right back up with reparrows.  One broke in the 11/32" section, one in the 5/16".  The 5/16" repair I just sanded flush with the 5/16" and it gave me the same "bell" effect.

Kevin wants you happy.....he knows his woods and knows how to take care of his customers.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline starshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 08:53:00 PM »
They are heavy and really strong. Great for stump shooting as well, unbreakable. Order a test pack before you decide. They are heavy.
I ordered a test pack and wasn't all that thrilled with flight but they would work in close for my setup..
64” Howard Hill “Redman”  46” @26”
66” Jet Archery “Jaguar” 42#@ 26”
52” Java Man “Helms Deep”  41#@ 26”

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
I have made arrows from Kevin in Leopardwood, mahogany and Jatobe. All have been consistent in spine and shot well. The leopardwood would have to be the prettiest and the jatoba the toughest. I do not thinking it possible to break a Jatoba shaft from a bow. I bought some 85# spine Jatoba shafts from him and I have put them through concrete blocks from 75# longbows and have not broken one arrow.

Offline Ewe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 05:04:00 PM »
I ordered a half a dozen arrows from Kevin and since I wasn't quite sure which would work better he sent me 3 with 125 grain tips and 3 with 145 grain tips. Now I know what this bow and string shoots best. I love the arrows and have shot them hundreds of times and they have held up well even if, cough cough, I wasn't quite on mark.

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 08:33:00 PM »
I bought a sample pack from Kevin to try a few different wood typess; he is very helpful and accommodating. I have yet to turn the shafts into arrows butthat will happen soon.  I have heard good things about his shafts.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 07:03:00 PM »
Got a set of Leopard wood shafts from my buddy. They would not work out of his bows but they shot great off mine. They are 5/16 shafts and at the tip end they are 11/32. They are heavy shafts, weight range is 760 to 785gr after i finished them. I don't shoot them often cause i have a bunch of POC shafts all ready to go. They have beautiful grain though!

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
Here's a closer pic.

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 04:50:00 AM »
I wanna try & need to place an order, that's a cool looking grain

Offline Mud_Slide_Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 07:11:00 AM »
That leopard wood is just amazing...and heavy!  They may be the next shaft I buy from him.  Great looking arrows!

Bill-
Luke 10:18-20
>>>---------->

Offline Elewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »
Getting some 5/16 tapered to 11/32 at the point.  Excited to get them.  Hoping they become my hunting arrows.
Current bow (and first): Bear Grizzly 50#

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »
Kevin knows how to match his shafts to your set up.  The woods are beautiful, and tough, and dealing with Kevin's a pleasure.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©