3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: scam ????  (Read 758 times)

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
scam ????
« on: March 05, 2016, 06:45:00 AM »
I have my tall tines listed on another site. Been posted for about 20 days when I get a personal message to see if it was still for sale. with a number to contact the buyer, I called twice and left message and get a text response that he will take the bow and to send him my mailing address and he will get the check sent and make arrangement to have bow sent to him usps. I responded that I wont except a check but a usps money order would work. I also ask him to send me his name and address. he respondes "ok". 2 days later I get text "payment is mail". now Im nervous I again ask for his name and address and get the same response "ok" so I respond back that I did not receive his info please resend, no response. I sent a message to the buyer today and explained I can not sell him the bow and will send his payment back certified mail as soon as I receive it. I also notified the site of the situation. Also the text message are coming in from a web site TextNow.com. never heard of this. Am I being parionoid ? Any thing else I should do?

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: scam ????
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »
Sounds like scam, if he sends a usps money order go to po and cash it first then send bow if you get a name and address. If he sends a check send it back if return address is on envelope. If he won't give you name and address move on. Can you block the incoming texts on your phone?
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 07:25:00 AM »
I'd do exactly as Katman says.  In situations like that, always get paid first although, I do not see those types of messages on Trad Gang.  Ok, not true, I had one in 8 years and have sold probably 30 bows.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 07:26:00 AM »
Its definitely a scam.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 07:46:00 AM »
Jmatt,

This is a scam. If you check this guys handle on the other site, you will see that he has contacted almost everyone about bow sales. Usually he wants your name, phone # and address. He usually only corresponds via text. My theory is this guy may be selling peoples information for email/text marketing or worse.

The problem with cashing the check is that if you send the bow, the check may not actually clear for up to 14 days. The bank will contact you and inform you the check didn't clear and you need to repay those funds. If he sends you a usps m.o. and you feel like cashing it and sending the bow to him, I would recommend taking the check to the post office to have them inspect the check before cashing it.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 07:47:00 AM »
Check out other site where you listed the bow. This scam group has contacted everyone on the classifieds with the same scam there is a thread on it. These are professional scams not just one person and they hit thousands of classifieds a day trolling.  You should be getting a text soon that says they messed up and sent you $2250.00 and ask you to deposit the "check" and send the difference back.  A couple weeks later your bank will notify you the "check" you deposited was fake . Don't be one of the victims
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 07:52:00 AM »
Thanks for the information guys. the bow stays with me and check is going back

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 07:57:00 AM »
Definitely a SCAM DON'T DO IT!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jmatt1957:
Good call!   :thumbsup:

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 08:11:00 AM »
FYI: Our bank calls in on every Postal money order I try to deposit. They have a 1-800 number taped next to their phone. I asked why and the teller told me that the Postal Money Orders or some of the easiest to counterfeit.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 08:20:00 AM »
I'd say it's a scam. Just the text "payment is mail", if that's the actual wording, is enough for me. I realize those of us here aren't exactly English usage experts but that phrase stands out.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
Scam I also go hit with a scam in very much the same way: a guy from Florida was trying to buy my bow for his son who was over sea's in Iraq (tug on your heart strings) wanted to send payment via PayPal which is fine except I wasn't able to get the bow out on time (luckily) and apparently what they do is set up an account with PayPal and by the time PayPal figures out that the money isn't there they hope you already mailed the product. Then PayPal sends you a message that payment didn't clear and your stuff is gone. It's a lot like bouncing a check after 5 days....
I was told by PayPal to make sure you talk with someone get there names and addresses you can check google to verify then only mail stuff to that place
Never pay one place and ship to another
Wait for payment to clear, get a tracking number send to individual and wait if people are ligit they should understand both parties have skin in the game.....
Very sad that this happens and I know plenty of people who have gotten ripped of in one way or another...if it feels fishy RUN!!!!!
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 04:57:00 PM »
THIS is ONE of the MANY reasons we have a private trading classifieds. ......

AND THE REASON IT WORKS AND HAS BEEN SO SUCCESSFUL.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 05:19:00 PM »
I have had a couple of offers like that over the years.Wanting to send a check and will arrange pick up.No third party dealings,when I sell a bow I want it to be direct with the person.If it sounds fishy is probably a scam!

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
Scam
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Ken Sorg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
If it's the LW, that forum has really gone downhill. I was just scammed there via "the bait and switch" on a tomahawk longbow. It was by an older gentleman who asked me to pay him as a gift thru paypal. I did and I'm now the owner of a bow I didn't want. Live and learn, I guess.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »
Never gift money via paypal ,  ever !
All transactions should have proper invoice and tracked emails with verified seller
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »
Double post
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
Don't waste your stamp sending the check back.

No point in you spending even that much for these thieves.   :mad:
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Florida lime:

Don't waste your stamp sending the check back.

No point in you spending even that much for these thieves.    :mad:  [/b]
My thoughts exactly.  There's absolutely no reason to waste time sending it back.  Right into the circular file!

These scammers never cease to amaze me.  Had one try this on me on a $200 portable ice tent!  Wanted to overpay by check by a large margin, have me then pay the guy "he would send" to pick it up, etc.  All contact via email.  I just told him to show up with cash himself or forget it.  Never heard from him again.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©