3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Commitment  (Read 556 times)

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
Commitment
« on: April 19, 2016, 09:28:00 PM »
Hello Tradgang!  I have finally come to the point in my life where I can start to live the dream of hunting outside the state.  My oldest 3 kids are almost all out of the house (that is..almost!).  I lost there mother to illness some years ago, but remarried to a very amazing woman who is very very supportive of my bowhunting dreams and addictions. I finished many years of schooling and have a 'real job' and a bit of extra cash...and a fair amount of vacation time. In short....I am ready to commit to actually DOING the hunts that my buddy and I have only talked about over the years!  We are hard core longbow deer hunters, but have never hunted anywhere out of Michigan.
     So....I am going to go to Missoula to hunt spring bear this May to begin with! (a friend lives there and suggested I camp up in the Rattlesnake Wilderness)  Couldn't be more excited!  Never done like anything like this before...but, time to get my feet wet and learn by experience. I'll spot and stalk.  Camp for 5 days.
     I also dream of hunting elk.  Might be a solo hunter until my local hunting partner can break free to go along as well (Next year I hope!!). Anyway, I have already learned a lot in the research. For one thing, looks like I've missed the nonresident draw entry back in March for Montana!  Dangl!  Then I checked Arizona...missed that too. Missed the limited hunt draws for Colorado.  Not a very good start!  LOL!  I do realize that there are OTC in Colorado and I will probably use that.  I have no contact in Colorado so will need to start doing my research to figure out where I can hunt.  My dream is to hike in to a no ATV/quad Wilderness setting and camp. To begin with, I'll just be content to see elk....or even just their track in a pristine setting.  
     Also, was reading about late season AZ mule deer. That sounds like fun!  Hike way in and camp?!  The plan would be to drive with my wife and kids...they hang out with her friends in the warmer elevations while dad slips off to the remote areas to search for game 5 to 7 days.
      So, why am I writing this?  Just wanted to introduce my self and my plans/dreams.  Posting this is in keeping with my commitment. To spend the second half (god willing) of my life hunting as much as I can and working hard at it.  I know there is an incredible amount of knowledge and wisdom on this site and I humble myself before it. I hope I am not too old to learn!  I'll be asking questions over the next spring and summer...and beyond.
      Maybe I could start with this:  For those of you who do hunt out of state each year, what should I be working on in preparation this time of year?  Certain applications I should be thinking about?  Any tips on starting this journey would be greatly appreciated!  

Thanks for listening!

Sincerely,

Dan

PS-  (you can get to know my hunting partner and I a bit through our hunt for whitetail featured in TBM in fall 2014 on the Piney Creek...I think it shows our commitment to DIY rugged style hunting)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Commitment
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 09:34:00 PM »
come to ga and hunt hogs.....or treat yourself to one of our sponsors and hunt hogs in sc or fl
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
Start getting in good shape and just go do it , I started going several years ago and will go every year till I die. I have never put in for a draw tag yet and have taken DIY public land Pronghorn , Elk , Bear , Muledeer , Whitetail. If y'all ever want to go let me know always looking for guys that are hardcore Trad hunters that want an adventure. Best advice is get in good physical condition and have a good never give up attitude and get the best gear you can afford and just get after it. I just loaded my pack today with 65lbs and will start walking and hiking with it this week and every week getting ready for another DIY OTC Elk hunt in Colorado this year....

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
Welcome... You have found a  great resource here to plan hunts.  I agree with Sam,,,, go do it.  I did a OTC elk hunt in colo a few years back and would do it again.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 10:07:00 PM »
Am confident you will obtain valuable advice.

Welcome!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 10:32:00 PM »
If you want to hunt the south TX brush country near the border I know a good place. Awesome hunting down there and some really big bucks. I've went the last 2 years, but this year my hunting buddy and his wife are expecting a baby, and my son will be in the Police Academy so I'm having to sit it out for a year.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 10:36:00 PM »
That's a good commitment there
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 11:00:00 PM »
Welcome to the Gang, and good luck on your hunts!

Bisch

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 06:53:00 AM »
Welcome,and hope you have the time of your life!Keep us updated on your adventures
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 05:14:00 PM »
Good for you!    :)    :)

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »
Welcome to Trad Gang. You should t have trouble finding trad brothers and advisors in Michigan!!  

NEVER.  ... "Too Old"!!
   :thumbsup:
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
Thanks everyone !  Yes, Skitch, I plan to look into local Traditional associations. We've been members of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, TU, and other similar groups.  Would like to meet others who share the passion of hunting the 'hard way' and hiking in and putting the fair chase as a priority.  I recently developed a much more confident shot with the help of Joel Turner's program.  It is working really well for me (have his book and MBB). I made native american style bows for awhile with sinew strings and a floating anchor...messed me up pretty bad with target panic.  

Dan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©