3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Spring Bear Hunt questions..  (Read 669 times)

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
First Spring Bear Hunt questions..
« on: April 20, 2016, 06:50:00 AM »
Hello,

I had a week off at the end of May and decided to try my first Spring Spot & stalk style hunt.  Going around Missoula and will camp in the Rattlesnake.  I have a few questions for those who have done similar:

1- I am now realizing the hunt might be a little later in spring than I should have made it for, but not sure. What method do you use if spring was early and the green spring grass isn't the bears focus anymore?  I don't know how late in the spring they are focused on this.  I might be getting into breeding season.  Maybe focus on travel of the boars as they search out females?

2- For equipment, I have only hunted midwest with footwear being bean style rubber bottom boots. What type of footwear do I need to have for such a hunt?

3- My clothing collection is all Asbell wool with Johnson Mill style whip cord pants.  I know temps can be freezing at night and up hot in the day.  Ordered some FirstLite merino but I was too tall for them to fit well.  Do ya think the whip cord style will be ok?

4-  If I arrow a bear at dusk and there is tracking involved, do I need to stay on the trail in the dark  or can I pick up the trail in first morning light without fear of meat spoilage...thinking of being solo hunter here!  I will follow after that critter in the dark if I need to...but don't have high powered firearm back up or partner.

Thanks for any help!

Dan

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Spring Bear Hunt questions..
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 08:26:00 AM »
I've hunted Montana once so I'm no expert.  I think you might need to work on the pants, when I was there it was cold at night but HOT during the day.  Layers are good.  I hunted the Bob Marshall and the grizzly bears were thick, pretty sure I wouldn't be doing much tracking at night.

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:17:00 AM »
Old closed logging roads are the ticket, at least they were in the mid 80s around there. That's where I grew up. Even lived up the Rattle snake for a while. Didn't hunt there though. Lots of bears between Lolo and the Lolo pass. Can't remember the name of that Hwy right now. Lots of old closed logging roads as well. I have not been there since 85 though.

Offline bhylton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
As far as the time of year, i think your ok. you might just have to go higher in elevation to find the fresh feed. but generally the hunting is better later in the season.
for shoes, if its dry i wear trail running shoes. if not that just a light, non-insulated, non- waterproof hiking boot is fine.
i think your going to be too warm in your wool. I hunt in the lightest weight stuff i have, sometimes shorts and a tee shirt. just carry a puffy coat in your pack.
there are alot of bears in the rattlesnake, but there are alot of hikers and bikers within about 5-7 miles of any trailhead. i hiked a ridgetop trail in the rattlesnake yesterday all the way to the snow line (5miles) and there were bike tracks in the trail all the way up there.

Offline bhylton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 11:30:00 AM »
go on google earth and find south and west facing snow slides in some of the bigger mtn ranges. oh and bring bear spray. good luck!

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 11:47:00 AM »
Good luck!

Bisch

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »
Dan, you can get any weather in May it can be downright warm to an unusual snow flurry and it does cool down in the nights.
 Many of my stumping outings with the dog are up on the northside of  Blackfoot River, we have kicked up some bears in the past. This area bumps right up against the Rattlesnake wilderness area. I have seen them on or close to the closed roads and in the riparian spring / creek areas.  There are lots of closed logging roads in the area as mentioned.
I would also recommend a lightweight hiking boot vs a rubber boot.  x2 on the Bear spray. Lots of stumps too so bring some blunts.
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
We also have both kinds of bears, the Rattlesnake area is just a Hop from the Mission mountain Wilderness and a Skip from the Bob Marshal Wilderness area. There is the occasional Griz reported in the Rattlesnake - Something to keep in mind.
 http://esrd.alberta.ca/recreation-public-use/alberta-bear-smart/know-your-bears/bear-identification-quiz.aspx
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »
Thank you all for your suggestions and help with my questions on my bear trip.  I am very excited as this represents my first out-of-state hunt and DIY type. I hope to hunt elk for the first time this fall (Colorado ?) and ....maybe...maybe Mule deer in the late season AZ.  But, one thing at a time.  I am just getting overly excited about all of it and maybe a bit ahead of myself.  I hunt whitetail hard with the longbow and my buddy and I are doing spring scouting the next few weekends. Then I go for turkey 5 days.  Bear hunt is the week of Memorial vacation.
I'll try and get a pair of hiking boots together and look for some kind of light weight pants that are quiet and maybe convertable to shorts.  Got the bear spray.  Hope i don't run into a grizzly in there...especially while trying to make my way back to the lean-to in the dark!

Dan

Offline bhylton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 11:12:00 PM »
it will be fun! good point mentioned above about changing weather. spring can be unpredictable. supposed to be 82 degrees in missoula this friday and 50's and rain saturday haha. good binos would be helpful also. you dont need them i guess, but some of that country north of the blackfoot mentioned above is pretty open.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 11:50:00 PM »
Take a predator call with you. It can make things interesting.  Might really get interesting in Grizzly country!  
    :eek:      :eek:
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 11:58:00 PM »
Yes,its a bad idea in grizzly country but it's a good time of year to call black bears.

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 10:08:00 PM »
Sounds like light hiking boots are suggested for a spring hunt like this...   I am hoping to hunt hard, get up before light and be out to intercept bears, sitting, walking,....whatever it takes to hunt effectively.  With mornings being freezing and afternoons maybe in 70s-80's, I'll wish I had insulation in my footwear in the morning and light noninsulated in the afternoon. Can't layer with footwear!  Any suggestions on brands and models for this kind of hunt and ideas on dealing with such a wide range of temperatures, dry vs wet conditions, and rough terrain...all in one shoe/boot system??!!  

Dan

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 10:45:00 AM »
You should be good with noninsulated boots and good wool socks.Waterproof comes in handy.There's always grass with dew,sometimes melting snow patches and most good bear country has some streams to cross.

If you find isolated water holes like elk wallows,in otherwise dry country,they can be good.You will be close to the rut and those are meeting places.After a rain,they will go dead for a couple days.

Don't discount the middle of the day.Mornings and evenings may be best but they will move any time of day,especially in the timber and at water holes,maybe not as much on the wide open slopes that are good for glassing.

If you find a sow with yearling cubs,she should be close to kicking them off and coming in heat.There should be boars cruising,even if she isn't ready.

On prominent trails,look for rub trees.Here,cedars are commonly used but you may not have them.These trees will usually show claw marks and some bite marks at head height.The bark will have hair in it.Any size tree may be used and trees leaning in to the trail are a plus.Multiple bears,male and females will hit them.Once you see one,you will start recognizing more.They start marking right out of hibernation and it gets more frequent toward the rut.

I haven't tried all the different boots but I have a pair of Asolo's that have been real good and have lasted a long time.They give good support,are comfortable and shed water.I honestly can't remember if they are 520's or 535's but don't think you could go wrong with either.Schnee's uninsulated packs are great for traction and wet condition but I need a little more support in rough country.I still like them for Spring bear hunting,where I'm not doing a ton of hiking in rocky,mountainous country.

A shot bear should stay good overnight.I like light for tracking,especially in grizzly country.

Whipcord trousers should be very good.When it starts getting closer to 70 degrees,I'm starting to wish I had cotton blend trousers but they are still tolerable.

I would also recommend a pair of collapsible trekking poles.The ones I use are Leki.

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 11:09:00 AM »
The mornings might be cool, but you shouldn't need insulated boots. A pair of good socks should do it and an extra pair or two so you have a dry pair if needed.
I have a pair of Keen hiking boots that i am pretty happy with.  The tread is decent and material is just a little softer than other heavier vibram soled hiking boots. I think the softer tread makes for some quieter moving, they just wear a little faster.

May and June are our Wet months but MT averages 14" of precipitation a year so things might get a little wet but a thorough soaking is unlikely. Many of the light weight hiking boots have a gore-tex option.

You should also have some sort of light shell layer in your day pack, it is just a good practice anytime but especially in spring and fall in the mountains.
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
What model Keen boot do you have,Pinky.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
Sent you a PM
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »
Jim,  I think they are the Targhee model that has the Keen Dry membrane/layer in it. My feet still get damp but I think the Dry layer helps.
My feet also like the wider ball and toe area of the Keens better.

https://www.rei.com/product/772930/keen-targhee-ii-mid-hiking-boots-mens

I posted the Voyager model at first but it is this Targhee model that has the Keen dry layer. edited.
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
Just a question for those from that area...I know by that time of year in Northern Alberta we are starting to be concerned about "rubbed" hides...is that something to consider in Montana?

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »
damascusdave,it varies year to year and bear to bear.I remember one year when most bears were rubbed by mid-May and I've seen bears that were still perfect on June 15th.Aside from the big,old boars,most bears aren't out and moving good till about May 9th,where I'm at.Last year,I knew of 3 good boars.Two of them stayed good at least to mid-June and one was rubbed quite a bit by June one.You really just have to look them over,that time of year.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©