3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String Tracker and Wind  (Read 327 times)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
String Tracker and Wind
« on: April 20, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »
Just a heads up on my experience with the string tracker and the wind.  I put a String Tracker on a new recurve I picked up recently and wanted to get a few shots in with it before I hit the woods for a little turkey action.  We were experiencing about 20 MPH winds moving right to left.  I was set up in my chair at about 15 yards.  First three shots impacted a good 8 inches left.  I put on a field point thinking it might be the BH but nope same impact.  It was amazing to see how much ark the string made moving with the wind.  No surprise that it did not have an effect.   I shot a few arrows without the tracker and impact was right on.
T ZZZZ

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Tracker and Wind
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »
a slight breeze is also enough to play out the line while you're waiting for a shot! it's hard to make a good shot with 10ft of line flying around in front of you

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 06:52:00 PM »
Many years ago when Iowa started its turkey seasons, I was at an outdoor show at Waterloo.  The woman at the turkey booth wanted to sell be a string tracker.  We had tested them and found the wind drift problem.  The wind does NOT blow three and a half days a year here and it always blows when I am turkey hunting.  I told her that I did not like them and boy did she give me the slob hunter what for sermon.  When we tested them we found that in a 10 to 15 mph side wind that the string could snag on brush further out from the arrow flight line than anyone would have thought at 20 yards.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »
I have no experience with such things, but it sure seems, since the line is thin and very supple, and comes out of the can so easily, that it would be like those pix of a Jeep pushing a Toyota out of the mud with a chain ( difficult to fathom).

ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©