3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey ?  (Read 774 times)

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey ?
« on: April 21, 2016, 07:11:00 AM »
Yesterday end up with another close encounter. I pulled into my parking spot yesterday afternoon and steped out of my car. Looked to my right and there was a Tom standing. He worked his way back into the woods. I quickly grabed my vest, decoys, blind, and chair. I worked my awround to where I thought he would go. After setting up,i have a few quiet calls and waited. It wasn't long he gobbled about 75 yards away.he worked his way in, and when he saw the decoys he buggered. I quickly called again and he setteled down but wouldn't commit. He strutted at 30 yards for what seems like hours. He finally worked off into a valley. It wasn't long and he was walking behind the blind and worked his way around to the left but stayed out of range. This continued all evening until 30 min before dark. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My only thought was maybe he's a subordinate gobbler. Or something was wrong with my decoys or setup.  

Thanks
Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey ?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 07:47:00 AM »
Everybody has different experiences depending on where they hunt. I bowhunt where there is a lot of shotgun pressure and these hunters usually run and gun educating the birds. This is just my opinion on decoys. I have hunted and bow killed birds over cheap feather flex, pretty boy, and B mobile decoys. The gobblers sometimes would just not finish to the decoys. Turkeys would be in shotgun range, but not close enough for me to get a good bow shot. Three years ago I purchased the DSD breeding pair. My success rate on finishing birds in these heavily pressured areas went way up. These decoys aren't 100%, but have allowed me to finish birds more consistently. Including tagging out the last three years with a stick and youth seasons with my kids, these decoys have accounted for 12 turkeys. If I'm bowhunting for turkeys my DSD will always be in my bag of tricks. One of the reasons I think the DSD Jake is so effective is the body posture. I do believe decoys in the strutting position spook the subordinate birds more. Good luck with the rest of your season.

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
I'm using the avian x decoys.

Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
64" stickflinger 50@28

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 08:22:00 AM »
I have seen the avian X decoys and they look really good. Some gobblers just don't play fair!!

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
Turkeys just do what they do.  And that's something different every time.  I have been hunting them since the 70's and there is sometimes no rhyme or reason how they act.
T ZZZZ

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 09:29:00 AM »
Try just a hen(s) decoy.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 09:04:00 PM »
Regardless of the decoy, gobblers can become decoy shy after a while.  The later in the season, the more likely it is to happen.  Can also become blind shy if heavily hunted.  Might give it a try without a decoy and see what happens.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
If he's young, or pressured, try hens only. If he's an old warrior, mount the jake behind a hen on the ground. Might get him charged up and get him to commit.

Cheap dekes work, but I think the lifelike ones hold a tom's attention longer. I use AvianX.

Just my two cents. Good luck my friend!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »
I would have to agree with warden609, I used to use cheap decoys and NEVER had my decoys been attacked or anything like that until I bought a DSD hen and jake. I've been on 4 hunts since I bought them and I've had hens attack my DSD hen and gobblers I've got all of it on video and pictures. So if you want to take the "was it my not so real decoys that spooked that bird" off the list just buy the DSD's and you'll never have to worry about it being your decoys fault again.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »
I'll post some pics later and you can see for yourself how much like a real turkey they look like.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »
I'll post some pics later and you can see for yourself how much like a real turkey they look like.

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 03:58:00 PM »
The avian decoys are a Lot like  the dsd. Just frustrated. Blew an opportunity last Sunday when a big Tom caught me drawing my bow at 5 yards, and now this one hung up at 30. But it's going better this year. At least I'm seeing a few turkeys.

Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
64" stickflinger 50@28

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
This is my hen and jake getting whooped on at same time. i took a picture of a video i filmed so the quality isnt that great

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 10:07:00 PM »
Great post with good questions and solid answers. Nice decoy and pics Ethan.

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2016, 05:33:00 AM »
Nice looking decoys. I had the hunt of my life yesterday. I managed to take my first turkey with archery gear. And it was with my longbow.

Jeff

58" Tall Tines 49@28
64" stickflinger 50@28

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2016, 06:34:00 AM »
Glad you got it done. Congrats

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2016, 07:54:00 AM »
Congrats! Those dekes look great.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 01:39:00 PM »
Put up a hen and a jake decoy ... Then watch what that old gobbler does
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©