3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A return to Wild Turkey Valhalla: Klintworth  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A return to Wild Turkey Valhalla: Klintworth
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by wapiti792:
At noon Seth and I could sit still in the cabin no longer. We went out to another blind to call and spend a hot couple of hours seeing if we could raise one. We managed to call a bird close but he would not come. We retreated to the cool shade and rehydrated for the afternoon.

We had made the decision that he could sit by himself for the first time on any hunt. I would set in a blind a couple hundred yards away to observe, and if a bird showed, well that'd be good. We were unsure about the decoy thing, so I decided to take a chance and use them. I was worried I'd take his birds but decided he was in a blind near the roost and would be good. I could see his setup down the hill. I tell ya, this was odd seeing him there. Not him really but his blind. Knowing he was on his own made me a little sad I guess. Starting to not need dad.

*A blind without me there
Why am I getting this image on a lot of the pics on Trad Gang today?
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
IDK, but I want to see the pics too!

Congrats, Mike!

Bisch

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 09:42:00 PM »
Must be a photobucket issue Bill. Tried to load a few things and it's messed up. Need to finish this thing but will wait on crap to clear.
Mike Davenport

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »
I've sure been looking forward to this report but it sucks that it starts knowing what you are dealing with.  No better man to handle it though -  I know you'll kick it aside.

Great stories from the ranch as always though!  Man,  I miss that place!  This farming stuff is fun,  but it gets in the way.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 11:25:00 PM »
Mike,

Sorry to hear about your health.  I'll pray for you, your family, and your doctors.  We all look forward to a quick recovery for you!

Thanks for sharing the pics and stories.  I always enjoy reading your writing!

- Griff
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »
Now i can see all the pics, and feel like I am caught up!

Continue on, Mike!

Bisch

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2016, 12:11:00 AM »
Glad they got it fixed...

So I watched our hunting day end with a dead turkey in my blind wishing it was in my son's. I was feeling a little remorse until I saw my boy as we picked him up. All he said was "That was cool dad! One minute a big Ol tom was in front of you and the next he was flopping." I could tell he was happy and you know, that made me happy. We dined on a turkey and dumplings that night from the thighs of my bird and made a plan for the morning.

Meri-Rio hybrid. I had used my new Big Jim TC 50# at 30 inches, 58 inches of ebony and smoothness. 600 grain arrow, business end a Tuffhead that would cut your eyeballs if you stared too long.

Next am was the last full day, with only a quick flydown hunt Sunday morning possible. My kid was a beast. He let me hunt with him the morning with birds almost giving us a chance but the afternoon was all his. He sat for 7 hours and after I had mmmmisssed a strutter from my own blind at way too far I bailed early to climb to a vantage point to see his blind. At last Nick and I watched a giant Rio on his way to the roost walk past the blind and Seth sailed one over his back. I tried to reach him on the radio to tell him it was ok. I got silence back until it was too dark and time to come in. He made peace with it I think because he ribbed me about my miss and that the Davenport boys had come to NE and got whooped by some birds.

That night we needed a mojo breaker. We only had the am to hunt and then curtains on our trip. I had the only stickbow bird among the band. Nick came through with what we needed. We needed vitality, a token of strength, an offering to drop the stench of defeat like Coleridge's albatross in his "Ryme of the Ancient Mariner". This time we needed a turkey to hit the deck instead of the albatross...

Enter the realm of the Mountian Oyster. I mean the man runs a cattle operation. We had to become the Klintworth to succeed at the Klintworth. Seemed like a good idea.

Mike Davenport

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 12:36:00 AM »
Nope! You just lost me at mountain oysters!

Nuts and guts go the yotes and buzzards!

Bisch

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2016, 02:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
Nope! You just lost me at mountain oysters!

Nuts and guts go the yotes and buzzards!

Bisch
Gotta agree there.  Just a few things a man should never have to put in his mouth.    :D

Hope it worked for you though!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2016, 08:22:00 AM »
Awwww fellas, 'twas not that bad. Taste like chicken gizzards. Sauté in onion after rolled in bread crumbs and spices. When in Rome boys, when in Rome. I am from Tennesse where 'possum pie, barbecue raccoon, and chitterlings are a Sunday dinner in country families   :)   My camp mates tried them but were not a fan! Yankees...

*Adventurous pallet

So next morning was the last, with only a quick hunt before traveling. I left my bow and wanted to just sit with Seth. I had a bird and some killer memories. We got a pic in and headed to a great spot in the darkness.

*Kid as big as me
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 08:41:00 AM »
The predawn there is something to behold. Gobbles early, a few scattered hens as they wake up, and then a steady rise in a symphony of tree yelps until many, many flydown cackles. For a turkey nut like me just hearing the sounds are an educational experience.

*Hen talk

Soon after the last cackle we had hens in our set. They were on their way out the pastures to tend their nests, pick bugs and do hen turkey stuff. After a wave of hens two gobblers skirted us following the girls but one lone gobbler changed his coarse and made a bee-line for the hens that had just filtered by. He was on my side quickly, in killing range but the boy couldn't shoot through me. Finally he twisted towards the east, right in Seth's line of sight (and wheelhouse).
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2016, 09:51:00 AM »
The boy has a range of about 20 yards. Any attempts to stretch that out are a problem for now. We really like them inside 15 and in practice he is deadly from that range. This place however, can be tough. Something about a big Ol bird bearing down on you and having to compose yourself enough to pick a spot. I have missed more birds in 5 years than I have killed...and I have killed close to 20. Here in NE this week alone I had a 33% success rate (2 misses, clean). The other thing is that as a new bowhunter remembering to pick a spot, in my opinion, is the hardest part. The mechanics of the shot are memorized, anchor burned in the memory: checklist complete, oh dang, forgot to pick where the arrow is supposed to hit. No excuses...just the way I see it from the cheap seats.

So el grande Rio grande is right at his effective kill spot. I green light it when he asks if he is in range and he does everything perfectly. The shot looked great from my angle and the bird does a flip, lands on his feet with wings out and runs 20 yards. I think he is done for and then something crazy happens: full strut!!! Seth and I looked at each other like a couple of crazy kids that just caught Santa Claus in a snare. Couldn't be....but it was.

My buddy Josh was up on a hill with his phone scope and camera. The video tells the tale: breast meat. Here is a still from the vid:

*Forward of the goods

We watched that darn bird strutt for a 1/4 mile. The arrow was painted but we all saw this bird pull a Lazarus. Unbelievable. I looked at Seth expecting a burst of emotion. All I got was a head-down smile and a shake of the head as almost to say "these birds are the devil". Why yes they are son, yes they are.

*Wry smile

We checked the arrow and it confirmed a pass through soft tissue. Bloody as heck, Tuffhead sharper than ever. Is what it is I guess.

*Bloody 2020

I'd like to say we pulled some stuff out and made something happen. We almost got it done on jakes, but we ended up packing it in. It was awesome anyway! I think my other mates got a dose of this Tradbow turkey hunting and will be hooked. I know my son has no choice now: he has been grabbed and pulled into the deep water by something he will spend his whole life doing. Last night after work he sat on his stool and relived that shot many times, making it every time. I see a fire burning and that is alright by me.

We said goodbye to Nick and Ryan with well wishes for the rest of the family. We made plans for another hunt in turkey Valhalla, next time with a boy a year older, with a fire for this game that will be stoked a little hotter because of this trip. Until then amigos...

Mike Davenport

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :clapper:   Great story!!  Get better Mike...Take care.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
Looks like a fine time, Mike!

Congrats on your bird, and best of luck to Seth and your new trad buddies!

Bisch

Offline CDK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
Sounds like fun was had by all...and you ate well!!
Giddy Up !

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
Well done Mike on all accounts! You are a wonderful ambassador for traditional bowhunting and it's fun to see your boy growing up in the tradition... May God bless and keep you and your family as you face this medical/life trial. He is able and He is good, all the time... I will pray.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
Kaz, thank you brother! ALL the time!!!
Mike Davenport

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
Awesome trip , get well brother we have a hunt to do....

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
That was a great story! Thanks for sharing!
Bisch,you're a Texan....thought you boys grew up on nut fries!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline CDK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2016, 06:17:00 PM »
Sounds like fun was had by all...and you ate well!!
Giddy Up !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©