3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Bear Phenolic Cracks - Should I be worried?  (Read 1035 times)

Offline sutts

• Trad Bowhunter
New Bear Phenolic Cracks - Should I be worried?
« on: April 25, 2016, 03:57:00 PM »
Hi all,

Received my new Bear Super Kodiak in Black Phenolic last week after 14 months wait.  Spec is 60" RH 55#.  Have only had 2 sessions with it so far and have been very careful with it.

I've started to notice cracks appearing in the riser and I'm not sure if I should be concerned.  These are fairly fine white cracks and are not threatening the limb joint yet.  They're not opening up at all but I can detect them if I run my nail across.

Bit annoying but I can live with them if they're just cosmetic.  Do you think it could be just the lacquer layer cracking or is it the phenolic material itself?  Can anything be done to make them disappear?

Also horizontal cracks on limbs but I think those are quite common on bear bows.

Thanks  

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a565/sutts2/IMAG1870a_zps6ikvzce4.jpg

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a565/sutts2/IMAG1869a_zpsdpdy4yaz.jpg

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a565/sutts2/IMAG1874a_zps6tkxl446.jpg

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Bear Phenolic Cracks - Should I be worried?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
I would call them and send them that photo!

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 04:48:00 PM »
Is this a new bow or just new to you? If new I wouldn't be happy, if it's an original I would say it's in pretty good shape for its age and most likely its just in the finish. I have never seen phenolic crack like that.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 04:59:00 PM »
If that is a new bow I would be very unhappy. Those cracks in limbs will only get worst. I sent back a set of limbs and got a new pair which did not crack

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »
From your post it sounds like a new bow. I would give them a call immediately and address the cracks.

Have the cracks continued to get bigger as you shoot the bow?

Offline sutts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
It's a brand new bow but I've been waiting over a year for it.  It looked faultless out of the box.  My pictures aren't great - the lines on the side of the grip are reflections of brick work.  The cracks I'm talking about are the white ones on the inside of the grip area.

Offline sutts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »
I've probably only taken 150 shots with it so far and yes, more fine cracks have appeared after my first session but they aren't widening really.

Hate to send it back after waiting this long though.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 06:11:00 PM »
I feel your pain on waiting for it, but they aren't gonna heal themselves. On a brand new bow, personally I would be contacting Bear on it!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »
I would call Bear and arrange to send them some pic's. I don't believe this should be happening after 150 shots. I would also let them know however they handle this, that you're not interested in another 14 month wait. Good luck. Keep us updated please.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 08:28:00 PM »
I had some fine cracks in my patriot limbs smaller than that. Four months later had a new ausable in my hands. The people at best should def take care of that.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 08:58:00 PM »
Looks like the either the finish is crazing, or the phenolic shriinking a bit. I have a bow made with phenolic that is doing the same thing. No way would I just accept it on a new bow. Call them right away and send pics off  asap imo.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 09:12:00 PM »
Not good. That is shrinkage and since phenolic is a cooked product made under extreme heat it is defective. I have never had a piece of phenolic do that and have build a lot of bows with phenolic. Those cracks are not finish and will only get worse with time.
Good thing is Bear is a reputable company and will probably not hesitate to replace it.

God bless, Steve

Offline sutts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 05:13:00 AM »
Thanks for your comments everyone.  I'll send Bear some better pictures and see what they say.  I used to think the phenolic riser was machined from a big solid chunk but now I'm thinking it's probably a laminate and the white in the cracks is the glue showing through where the layers are separating a little.  Tempted to just go for the all wood Super Kodiak Greyling Green if I get a choice - unless anyone knows of any problems with that model?  Should shoot just the same right?

Appreciate the help.
Dave

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 06:04:00 AM »
Pm sent
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »
I,ve seen paper phenolic crack many times. Linen works much better . I don't think I've seen paper phenolic that didn't crack they are surface checks and are easy to fix , my supplier and I had a conversation about this a couple of years ago best not to put it in a bow...

Offline sidekick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »
I bought one new in May 2015, it developed horizontal cracks in the finish at the fade outs of both limbs, visible under good light, but couldn't feel them, but there must have been 30 or more. Again, they were very light. Sent it back to Bear and they replaced the bow. Hope this one doesn't do the same thing. Probably wasn't hurting the bow, but it bothered me just the same.

Offline sutts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 07:39:00 AM »
Thanks sidekick, good to know I'm not the only one.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 07:51:00 AM »
I would send it back and ask for a replacement.
Sam

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 09:17:00 AM »
Sorry you're going to have to send it all the way back the FL from the UK. I hope Bear does well by you. I think they will.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
No way would I accept that.  I have had issues before with the lines across the limbs (new purchase by me) and Bear replaced the bow without any problem. The horizontal cracks are in the finish, but the newer finish they are using is not supposed to do that.  So far my 2015 SK and TD have neither one done that.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©