3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dang Ticks again,, hows everyone doing?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Dang Ticks again,, hows everyone doing?
« on: April 25, 2016, 08:38:00 PM »
well about ready to go for turks but I'm not sure I just did a little fly fishing and seriously I was just standing on the edge of the water not even in the bushes and I just pulled two off me!  

their getting worse and worse even with permathin (SP)  I'm not so sure now,,, and we have them new ticks that are even worse the African killer bee version of the tick world..

curious what people are doing to keep these off them this spring..
"Us vs Them"

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dang Ticks again,, hows everyone doing?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
They are terrible in Mn. Pulled three off me the other day after scouting woods for next deer season, plus swiped away others off my jacket.  My lab, well we have been constantly checking and getting quite a few off him as well. Mild winter they claim is good for ticks plus we have had very little rain.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »
Permethrin on the clothes works well for me.

Saturate and let air dry before putting them on.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »
They are thick here in Oklahoma
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 11:40:00 PM »
I pulled two off the cat today!

They are out and about... I've had pretty decent luck with just regular old bug spray with deet.

It's not perfect, but it does a pretty good job of keeping them off me.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 04:15:00 AM »
Definately out and about got one off me just walking through the yard
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 04:36:00 AM »
what causes your increased tick activity you guys are experiencing? warmer winters?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 06:01:00 AM »
really bad this year in NY had to put Frontline on the dogs VERY early this year and had a few on me. sprayed clothes with Permethrin and not a problem now.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Oznative

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 07:10:00 AM »
Tajue17
The same thing happened to me as well out near the wachusett reservoir last weekend.  The ticks here in the North East are brutal this year for sure.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 1960's vintage 60# at 28"
Diamondback venom longbow 45# at 28"
Diamondback venom recurve 47# at 28"

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 07:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by ozy clint:
what causes your increased tick activity you guys are experiencing? warmer winters?
Yes, experts claim mild winters and dry conditions favor ticks.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 07:55:00 AM »
So far so good on ticks around here - took a boy out for youth turkey weekend, tick free. (so far)
SWA Spyder

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 08:33:00 AM »
I'm not yet a believer in global warming (as defined by our politicos) but the trend toward overall warmer climate here (Ohio) may be having an effect. After 35 years living in rural southeast Ohio, I don't think the ticks and chiggers have ever been worse than the past 5 years. Our deer have them year-around now. I have found them on my dogs every month of the year. As a kid I used to spend hours picking berries in the brush and never got one chigger bite and very few ticks. Today I don't dare go in the brush without a permethrin treatment and some deet. A few years back I got chigger-bitten so badly my legs looked like I had massive poison ivy rash. I ended up on prednisone for a week. Hundreds of chigger bites and welts...ugly. These days I focus on prevention and no longer take risks.

I should also add that I contracted erlichiosis from a tick bite back in 2009. I was sick for many weeks and have not felt that bad in decades. Take ticks and chiggers seriously or be prepared to accept the consequences.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »
I use permethrin on all of my outdoor clothes and boots from April through October. The one time I went hiking without treated clothing I was eaten up by chiggers. Lesson learned.

Clothing with Elimatick, Buzzoff, and Bugsaway permanent treatment is worth the cost -- and I have plenty of it. That plus treating my other outdoor clothing is a must in my experience.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »
A friend and I were turkey hunting in northeast  Washington state last week, and it only took one day in the field to attract those things.  At the hotel room, in the truck, and on our heads we found 17 ticks.     :p    

Neither of us has seen it this bad.

I heard a tick can live 2-3 years....without food.    :dunno:
Lon Scott

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
"And the meek shall inherit the Earth" ... them prehistoric buggers will be a good part of our ruination, if we don't self implode ourselves in other ways.  Then again, there are some respectable folks who claim WE created the Lyme bacteria in an Army research lab out on Long Island, NY.  The infamous  "Plum Island Conspiricy Theory"  - because chronologically, Lyme disease started right out on Long Island.

Lyme disease for animals isn't an issue and 10 days of doxicycline will cure it.  Our dogs have had Lymes multiple times each.  This was never ever an issue 20 or so years ago.

I have Lyme disease - get it once, you've got it for life, most of Western medicine believes it's systemic.  However, it is controllable in a homeopathic manner if caught at least reasonably early, else one needs to go the far less conservative antibiotic route.

I'm concerned about ticks while walking about the woods.  Heck, with all the deer around our neighborhood and house I'm concerned about the ticks in my own back yard.

Last year my wife came down with Lyme as well.  No tick bite was found, but she clearly had the symptoms.  Lyme can be carried by a host of bugs,  like mosquitoes, not just ticks.  The situation with Lyme disease is beyond epidemic proportions, but still hasn't made the media buzz.  Looks like the meek will be taking over planet earth ....
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 11:25:00 AM »
Sprayed my pants with permethrin,have not had a problem.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 12:02:00 PM »
I'll be heading up the Catskills for turkey and I just sprayed down all my clothes. Living on long island I won't go scouting April thru August because that is when the nymph ticks are active. They are just so small you really can't see them very well.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 12:14:00 PM »
Scientists are always GMOing everything, they should GMO a vegetarian tick.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 12:53:00 PM »
I pulled one off my belly 4 months ago, it's head was already imbedded. Went for the lyme tests, that came back negative. Took a couple months for the wound area to heal. Past week three of the grandsons had ticks on them. Wife has had 3 on her the past 2 months.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
I pulled one off my belly 4 months ago, it's head was already imbedded. Went for the lyme tests, that came back negative. Took a couple months for the wound area to heal. Past week three of the grandsons had ticks on them. Wife has had 3 on her the past 2 months.
"tests" for lyme disease are less than useless - lotsa false negatives abound.  keep checking for symptoms ...
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©