3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: R/D Longbow with high brace height  (Read 678 times)

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
R/D Longbow with high brace height
« on: April 25, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »
Hey folks. I hope this isn't an annoying set of questions.

I've searched around like crazy and I understand that the variables are pretty much everything under the sun... bow, string, silencers, arrow, etc. So I may be spinning my wheels with this one.

Ive been shooting a Caribow Peregrine for the last 8 months or so, and a Featherhorn before that. Abe says a good BH is 7 1/4" but with both of these bows Im well over 8" to get the "least" amount of vibration. I've shot arrows ranging from 500gr to 700gr and spent days with each setup tuning... Currently I've landed on a 560gr arrow which flys awesome. SBD 8 strand string.

My first pointed question is this... My draw length is solid 31" with a measured draw weight of 63#. Is there a correlation between draw length and BH? Meaning, since I draw long, the bow will like a higher BH?

Second is this "The Peregrine boasts speed of over 200 ft. per sec. A.M.O. at a brace height of 7 1/4″.  All this with a silky smooth draw up to 30″.  The Peregrine is dead in the hand, even with light arrows such as 9 or less grains per lb."

Dead in the hand. For the life of me I can't get rid of hand shock, at any BH, even with a tuned 700gr grizzly stik.

Any ideas?
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: R/D Longbow with high brace height
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 02:43:00 AM »
I shoot a trinity longbow falcon at a highish brace of around 8 inches. Dl 32 inches - only time I got distracted by noise or vibration was when the sting untwisted and bh went to 5 inches.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 06:10:00 AM »
I woukd say two things my r and d long bow has a higher brace height than recommended. I believe it takes a little speed from it but fine by me shoots much better. Also try a heavier arrow. When i shoot a light carbon it has a little hand shock vs a wood arrow cant feel a thing. No idea why you cant get rid of it but maybe try a super heavy arow 900 grains or something.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »
Maybe just me, but when I am shooting heavier weight bows, I have to make a conscious effort to not grip bow too tight.  If I do grip to tight, that is when j can get some handshock.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 12:23:00 PM »
It might be worth making a phone call to Abe to discuss what you are finding

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 11:48:00 PM »
63# at 31" means your getting the efficiency of about a 70# bow.  That extra time the string is applying pressure to the arrow adds a lot of zip.

Therefore, I think 560 grains is too light.  That is what I shoot out of 47# @ 27" bows.  I personally wouldn't shoot less then 700 grains out of your bow.  That will help.

Also if you shoot 3 under, that can add some vibration as well and may warrant a heavier arrow.  

This is my two cents and others mileage may/will vary.  Chad

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 09:29:00 AM »
Agree with Chad. I also shoot 500 grain bullets from my 49-52 pound bows at 26" draw.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 05:40:00 PM »
I do not believe there is any correlation between draw length and brace height...I have a Kodiak Deluxe that I draw to right around 31 inches and it works best with a brace height of about 9 inches (within the recommended 8 to 9 inches by Bear)...I have a Kempf Kwyk Styk, semi static, that gets noisy rather quickly if I raise the brace height even a bit over the optimum which as I recall is under 7.5 inches (I have no idea what the recommended brace height is as I bought the bow used)...any bowyer suggested brace height is simply that, a suggested starting point...each bow needs to be shot to learn what brace height is actually best for it

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 11:03:00 PM »
I think its been figured out. So, I've never been able to get this bow to shoot quietly or without noticeable hand shock, even within the first couple weeks of getting it last year. Searching back through emails I had talked with Abe and we were trying a bunch of different ideas and kept thinking it was the string, it needed to be stretched and what not...

Well, I'd say a month or so of shooting it I noticed some white spots on the limbs, never thought much about it and didn't want to be a bother, then recently a friend noticed it at the range and asked me about it... still, didn't think much.

Then the other night I was giving the bow a polish and when looking close it looks as if the glass is separating from the laminations... large areas of the limbs. So I shot over a photo to Abe and looks like it's bad news for the bow and he will be replacing it.

My thought is this could be contributing to the lack of "Peregrine character" that I was looking forward to. (Im still waiting on details from Abe)

Anyhow, Im relieved. And grateful Abe is looking into this asap. His work is beyond top notch and seems like his service is also.
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 07:37:00 AM »
Glad you may have found your problem.  I think you may still experience the same issues with hand shock with the new bow unless you up your arrow weight. I think Chad hit the nail on the head.

Good luck
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©