3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Laminated Bow Epoxy Curing  (Read 1825 times)

Online Cupcake

• Trad Bowhunter
Laminated Bow Epoxy Curing
« on: October 21, 2007, 12:04:00 PM »
I am curious about epoxy curing.  I have read the Smooth-On epoxy directions and they say 24 hour room temperature cure but a stronger bond is achieved with an additional 1 hour cure at 150F.  My memory may be fuzzy here because it has been a while.

What benifit is derived from heat curing the epoxy at 150F for six hours?  I am wondering why it is needed.  Does it result in a stronger bond than room temperature followed by 1 hour heating?  Or about the same strenght as room plus heat cure?  Does anyone have any test data in this regard?

Has anyone used it after room temperature curing and no heating?

I am going to take the bow-making plunge so I am very curious.

Thanks for tolerating my newbieness,
Kevin

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Laminated Bow Epoxy Curing
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
I made a takedown longbow early in the summer and used the old Volvo in the driveway to cure it.  Left the form in the car for 24 hours with temps inside the car getting up to 122 one day and 132 the next.  The limbs survived a dry fire that broke the riser, and are now mounted on a new riser and shooting fine.  In fact as of last Saturday...really fine!

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
I'm always leary of the hose losing air pressure and letting the lams separate or slip. I check the air pressure every hour or so to be safe. I'd never sleep if I just let the form sit for 24 hours to cure the glue up at room temp. I like to get it cooked so I can relax.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
On another thread on this forum, someone posted that epoxy will SOFTEN at the temperature it cures at.

With that nugget in mind, if one "cooks" the bow to cure the epoxy, it is unlikely that one will be hunting in 150 degree heat, so there would not be a chance of the epoxy softening during a 110-120 degree summer hunting trip.

This gives the bow its best chance of not delaminating because of its glue softening on a hot day, or by being left in a car during a summer day.

The epoxy will also be fully cured after 6-8 hours, too. This allows the bowyer to get back to working on the project, in a shorter time.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
I have been told by experts that epoxy has heat memory and by other experts that the others are full of it.  LOL  We heat cure all glue.  The Urac just cures faster so we can keep working.  The Smooth On sets faster and cures over time.  But the faster set will hold everything together for sure.

We use 170 degrees on Smooth On with heat strips and it sets in one hour.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
We bake smooth-on in the oven 4hrs at 140-150. Then allow to cool.The heat will allow the epoxy to inter the wood grain causing a better bond -Mike

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
Read this on the using and curing EA-40
  Smooth-On
High on Archery.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
After reading the smooth-on data sheet I assume you are using a mixing ratio of 2A:1B?
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
I always mix smooth on 1:1 and cure it between 150-170 degrees for 4-6 hours and then I let it cool completely before releasing the air pressure. I have made dozens of bows and (knock on wood) I have yet to have a failure.

Anybody know the shelf life of smooth on unmixed? Everything I find just says limited shelf life.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
I use the 1 to 1 ratio and cure in a hot box 6 hours and let cool before releaving the pressure.i have had no delam problems from hot weather so far. You just dont want to leave a strung bow where it will get too hot.
High on Archery.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
Sorry guy's,my bad.I see now I posted 4hrs. should have been 6Hrs.+ allow to cool in form until next morning.Sorry agian For the mis-information.Never had a delam problem of any kind.  Smooth-on is a wonderful product.I hav'nt herd anyone I know of ever having a problem.-Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©