3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone else using the compressed straw bales from TS?  (Read 1459 times)

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone else using the compressed straw bales from TS?
« on: April 26, 2016, 09:34:00 PM »
I have been using the compressed straw bails from Tractor Supply. They keep them inside store. The are banded tight and wrapped in plastic. Smaller than regular bales but they really stop an arrow. I think they were $7.00 ea.  I don't think I have shot more than halfway through and have a lot of shots into them.
Anyone else use them? How long did they last?
Tedd

Offline WVbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone else using the compressed straw bales from TS?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
Been using one for almost two months now and it's still stopping everything just fine. I will get some poking out the back from my 60 pounder but not much.
Hunting is the fun part, once you kill something the work begins

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 10:31:00 PM »
I was checking out at TS a couple of weeks ago and the guy in front of me had one of those bales in his cart.  I was wondering if they would make a good target.  May have to go pick up a couple to try out.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 08:43:00 AM »
I was watching Maters of the barebow 2 and a guy from CO was shooting bales on his property. I thought how easy that would be to do on mine. TS has compressed bales I think I will pick up a few. With some 2D targets I can have a nice and resonably priced walk around range.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 09:26:00 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.  I need a few at the cabin.
CHuckC

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
I use them, too. Excellent target for the money, as long as you only use field points.

Offline stickhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
I use these by taking 9 bales, stack them and put a rachet strap around the unit. makes them big for the 4-H kid's archery.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 09:12:00 PM »
Are these what they call...

Standlee Premium Western Forage Certified Straw Grab & Go Compressed Bale, 50 lb. Bale @ TS?
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 10:35:00 PM »
Yes Tippit thats it. I can't find a photo on the www that looks like them. The photo shown isn't accurate. I'm embarrassed I no longer know a local guy to get some regular straw bales from. Had to call tractor supply like a suburban fellow .
I purchased 6 but I'm only using 4. (I have no decent terrain out back to stop my arrows in case of miss so I like a big backstop).
Mine are on a raised wooden platform and have a tarp over top. I strapped 4 of them tight together with ratchet straps so an arrow won't slip though the cracks. For the first few hundred shots the arrows don't penetrate far.  I'm going to sit one of the unused bales on the back porch for those before work and after dark shots.
I had been using a layered block target on the porch for that but those pcs get everywhere after a while.

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 10:36:00 PM »
You really don't even have to cover them. The shrink wrap they come in sheds water.

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 09:09:00 AM »
Picked up four yesterday. Paid a little over $11.00 per bale. About twice the price of a regular straw bale... we'll see how well they hold up.

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 02:40:00 PM »
One of the guys here uses them.  He said that you need to keep them dry, they turn into silage pretty quick when they get wet.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 03:27:00 PM »
X2 what Pavan says, we used straw bales back in the day of field archery. We ended up banding the bales together with a piece of roofing material on top. That helped the most. We tried plastic but the wind and sun turned it into waste material.

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 04:06:00 PM »
I shoot at Rhinehart deer targets for long range shooting from 35 to 65 yards.  I used to drag a four foot Saunders grass mat around.  they were my favorite in my target shooting days.  when I live east I shot at a compressed stack of excelsior bales,  they were sold at Rice Lake, Wisconsin.  Then I went to the plastic side bales of from a bread tie maker in Worthington, Minnesota.  Now I shoot 4 by 4 square soy bean seed crates stuffed with silage plastic.  I am getting increasingly cheap, I get the seed crate bags for free and each one will tolerate hundreds of thousands of shots before needing replacement.  However, I sometimes miss how nice and straight the arrows stuck in those Saunders mats.

Offline REM

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Rick's Traditional Bowstrings
    • Rick's Traditional Bowstrings
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 08:18:00 PM »
Is this the bale used for targets?
EZ-Straw Seeding Mulch with Tack for $9.99 each.

Offline WVbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 02:17:00 PM »
Finally shot mine out to the point that it wasn't stopping arrows anymore. Will get another the next time I'm at tractor supply.
Hunting is the fun part, once you kill something the work begins

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 04:48:00 PM »
I bought 3 a few weeks ago. Will pick up another 3 soon....mainly to build a bigger  target,  even if i need to buy 3 more yet again.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 08:47:00 AM »
I'm not postive about this but I was told by someone at my range who takes care of the archery course if I do go with bales for a backstop then load the whole top with heavy timber stumps (or anything heavy) to compress the straw even more,,, will stop the fastest arrows and last 3 times as long because the bands get loose as you shoot them more and more.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 10:48:00 AM »
I use straw bales as targets, but compress them myself because I cant get to a TS easily.  I use a ratchet strap lengthwise around the bale with a short scrap piece of 5/4 decking at each end for compression.  Crank the ratchet down until the bale is very tight, then use the twine that is on the bale or cut it off and use another piece of just or nylon to retie the bale.  I have one bale on top of another, sitting off the ground in a wooden rack.  I hang a piece of folded-over carpet in the back, just to stop an arrow if I hit too close to the seam.  But, I use the ratchet to hold the bales onto the rack, so even the seam gets pretty tight.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 02:52:00 PM »
I use regular straw bales but need to keep them tarped to prevent rot when not shooting. Those TS bales pre-shrink-wrapped sounds like a great idea.
Aim small,miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©