3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting after heart surgery  (Read 438 times)

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting after heart surgery
« on: April 27, 2016, 10:31:00 AM »
I,m sure someone on here has had a heart valve replacement. My question is "how long before you started shooting again and the process you did it".
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting after heart surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »
Donald,

2005 I had a triple bypass.  I wasn't back to shooting trad at that time, just wheels.  I have been an archer of one kind or another since about 1960 so my muscles have always been in pretty good shape.  At 7 weeks post surgery my surgeon told me I was good to go and to resume my regular lifestyle BUT "take it easy".  Start slow and see how you feel.  You have the rest of your life to get back at it - go slow to start.  Your body will tell you how far to go.  In addition, you will most likely be in cardiac rehab post surgery, do the exercises and see how you do.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 12:57:00 PM »
I had double bypass and a section of another vessel replaced last year. The surgery was in February and the surgeon gave me the OK in July. Took a while for me to get back up to strength. Just now feeling almost 100% at shooting.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 03:58:00 PM »
Had quadruple bypass in Feb 2008. Did not pull anything for 10 weeks (doctor's orders) or you could break open your sternum and that would be serious. I fooled around with the grandkids' 20# Little Bear in April. I was shooting a 30# bow by May. Then worked up to 45# bow by August/Sept and deer season.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 10:28:00 PM »
I have no clue on heart valve surgery but I'll bet it's like most every thing else no one two are the same. I had triple bypass done 4 months ago. I had met all the criteria to be released on the 3rd day but stayed till the fourth. They actually sent a letter home with me stating I could shoot in two months. And I was, as I had a hog hunt lined up in March that eventually fell through. I started with a 40lb just to check things out two months after surgery. It felt so good I immediately went to my 52lb bows and have been shooting regularly since with no problems.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 10:41:00 PM »
I have no clue what the answer is, but I will send up a prayer for a full and complete recovery that gets you shooting sooner than later!

Bisch

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »
Don, I think it would matter how the valve was replaced.  If it was open chest it would take longer I would think (my opinion...never had it done).  If they did it through the cath procedure (which is what I think you had), it would probably take less time to be up and running. Be sure if the doc tells you it's ok to return to "normal activity" that you both understand what that includes.  I have a friend who had some serious shoulder surgery.  After quite a bit of rehab, the doc said ok on "normal activity".  When my buddy questioned further the doctor said that shooting bows "is not a normal activity."  I'm glad you have done well.  I have followed the thread on the WV forum.  Take care and don't rush things.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »
Sorry, should have given more details. I had aerortic valve replacement which was minimal invasive. They did not split the sternum. Go back to see the surgeon today, maybe he will give me some answers.
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
Thanks to everyone that has been sending their prayers and best wishes for my recovery. Tuesday was 2 weeks from surgery and I am now getting my appetite and a little strength back. It really knocked me for a bigger loop than I expected. Missing turkey season but enjoying stories of others. Thanks
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 09:47:00 AM »
Don- I had a full on open heart 3 years ago to remove a tumor in September of that year.  Ruined my planned elk hunt but I was hunting November of that year with a bow that was 12 pounds lighter then my normal weight.  Scared the sh/! out of me the first time I drew the bow.  Of course my surgeon didn't give me the green light until December but that was for fear of falling out of a tree.  I was only 47 at the time and in relatively good shape.  Some of my cardiac wing compadres were much older and couldn't do much til 6 months later.  My suggestion is listen to your doc and since it was minimally invasive I think you will be good soon unless you over exert yourself.  My issue was more the wait for the sternum to fully heal but I was always stubborn anyway.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »
I had a 9 hour open heart surgery to replace a valve at 50 in April of that year Tuff surgery! But took my time built a few light weight bows for practice did my PT and worked my way back to my lighter hunting bows #54 by end of October. Had a great season but sure changed a few things or me, you will be fine not being opened up.

Prayers for a quick and complete recovery and congrats to the rest of you guys for your recoverys and success.    :thumbsup:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 07:26:00 PM »
I had a heart attack Aug 23, 2010...quadruple bypass three days later.

In February I started stretching a string on a 40# bow. But it was a long 9 months till I was able to get my hunting bow to full draw.

Take your time, and get some of those rubber exercise bands. They're great for going through the motion of drawing your bow and keeping the back/shoulder muscles loose.

Ron
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 11:11:00 PM »
I can't be much help yet since I'm going through it right now. Had a triple by-pass on 4/6/16. Day before yesterday I had an hour and a half appointment with the doc. They were raving about how good I'm doing since surgery was only three weeks ago. But they probably tell that to all the handsome patients. I'm just doing what I'm told and leaving it up to the experts, including cardiac rehab 3/week. They are saying I'll be good as new come October. While I'm here I wanted to say thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. I really appreciated that. No sweat... well.. maybe just a little sweat. Ha.  BW

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »
Take it from me Barry, you'll feel like a new man eventually (hard to believe that now I suppose but it's true). When you are recovering just remember walking is your best friend.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 10:19:00 AM »
Reddogge hit the nail on the head.  Walk, walk,walk.  I used my trail cams on the edge of fields as my therapy.  Checked on em and scouted for deer as well from the opposite field edge.  Doc didn't want me going into the woods for fear of tripping in the beginning.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 09:39:00 PM »
I had quad bypass Oct 22, 2009. I shot a deer with a 30-06 in mid Nov. Dec 28 or so (right around there) I killed a six pointer with a 50 lb Bear Kodiak Hunter.

Yeh, I' m stupid. Tough but stupid.  :)  I didn't have a heart problem (no H attack) just blockages. Been running the hills hard since. Just turned 60.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 09:46:00 PM »
I walked so much the four weeks after surgery my feet hurt . Couldn't really do anything else.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
I had my artic valve replaced with an artificial valve in 1995 and it was about 8 weeks and I started with a 30# bow.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
By the way.   No more trees for you. A fall could pop the new valve out and that wouldn't be good.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 07:31:00 AM »
Thanks for all the great advice in this thread.  Especially the use of the Therabands to begin to get the breastbone (and the mind) used to the motions again.

I had a quad bypass a month ago and was told I can start shooting again "some time in July".  I am walking 5 miles a day, but only doing limited upper body stuff at this point.  

You fella's have helped me chart a course, and I'm grateful for the responses in this thread.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©