3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bear hunt shelter  (Read 979 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bear hunt shelter
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 03:18:00 AM »
if you have the $'s this is the way to go- sawtooth with a titanium stove- ultra light! lots of space
 https://store.kifaru.net/sawtooth-c13.aspx

heres a build along for a pretty cool tarp tent
 http://www.tramplite.com/2013/10/myog-cuben-fibre-shelter.html#more

some more
 http://www.elbtipi.com/tent.htm

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 06:19:00 AM »
Thanks for the additional help!  I combine the Bushcraft style skills to my hunts locally and just want to bring some of that along. Stayed up thinking about this last night. One option I could do is bring a large silnylon tarp for ultra light style camp like the long distance hikers use. These are super tough, absolutely water proof, and weigh ounces. Then...to add my ol' timey twist...I could make a oil cloth from king size egyptian cotton bed sheet. These are used by muzzleloader/buckskinners often when they trek. Supposed to weigh around 3 lbs. and are fire resistant. This would give me a lean to option with fire, but if things go bad, I've got the silnylon.
As for getting the bear out....  I will have game bags. But, also, my very generous friend Sam S. on here told me about sinking meat in trash bags in a cold creek to cool it off giving me time to work at getting it all out. So, I would keep a 150 quart cooler in my truck at trail head full of dry ice. My meat would go out first...then back for the gear.

Dan

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 09:24:00 AM »
That sounds like a very workable plan.It should be cool at night and hanging the quarters,separately should work,if need be.Generally,at most,it would take two trips for the meat.You may also be able to find some place that would freeze the meat for you.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
sounds cool,
how do you plan to oil the cotton  sheet?

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »
Fujimo  I have seen several places on the net with DIY on the tarps.  I don't know if this will work as a link, but here is a recent one that looked pretty good:
 https://survivalsherpa.wordpress.com/2014/10/01/how-to-make-lightweight-oilskin-tarps-from-bed-sheets/
My hunting partner has a lot of experience in buckskinning and lived under one of these sheet tarps for days at a time. He took one long winter hike in the deep U.P. snows of midwinter with it using just the wool blanket, buckskins, and this sheet tarp. He still talks with great fondness and respect for that ol' linseed rag.  I guess the sheet has to be good quality high thread count egyptian king size.

Dan

PS- really enjoyed your video link!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2016, 09:28:00 PM »
heres one i like- probably be heavier- its like the waxy feel of an oilskin coat

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »
one very important thing, if you are doing the boiled linseed, remember to air everything very well outdoors- a bundled up rag with the linseed on, can spontaneously combust!!

i have never done this treatment- but a good mate of mine nearly burnt down his house like this- after treating some canvas- he went back down to his basement the next day- and the bundled up rag that he had wiped up some spilt linseed with was smouldering- when he took it outside- and threw it on the ground- it burst into flame!!!!

just be careful!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 02:48:00 PM »
Some of the local 'Skinners use Thompson's Water seal.  The stuff that's used on decks.  Some of them use painters drop cloths but that might be on the heavy side.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »
So does the linseed oil not combust in the canvas after you treat it?  What happens near a fire?

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
i thing what happens Tracy, is that while it is "curing" it is an exothermic reaction- while it is oxidising i imagine- and producing the heat where the heat cant dissipate- a crumpled up rag, and being saturated in an oil- which is combustible- just leads to smouldering- then add a little oxygen at that stage- woof!
 i think while it is curing on a clothes line outside- the same chemical reaction occours- the heat just dissipates.
 anyway thats as best as a layman like myself can fugger out!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2016, 03:25:00 PM »
i think everything burns if you get it close enough to the fire    :D    
 honestly though, once it is cured, i dont know how much of a fire risk it is!- its the chemical reaction that is the risk- dont know what the dried, cured oil is like- try it, make some pants outta it- and get Dorrain to let us know how it went- dont forget the   pics   :laughing:

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2016, 02:47:00 PM »
My friends who finish longrifles with linseed oil say it takes forever to cure.  They solve the problem by adding Japan drier. Never did it so more research is in order.

What about the stuff that is made to waterproof tents?
Monterey

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »
update on my shelter:  Got a king size egyptian cotton bedsheet and it is now treated with linseed/mineral spirits mix and drying in my garage. Also picked up a Bushcraft tarp that only weighs about pound and a half.  Got a chance to go out and test my equipment this weekend. Did overnight with the tarp. Put everything I needed for a single night in/on my Bison Lost Creek pack. Did a days hike going up every rocky mountain in my path and killing every stump. Testing my new clothing options and gear. New bow, bowquiver, hiking shoes, poly pants, merino, Bison pack, tarp shelter, ground cloth, and down bag. Much of these things are new because I invested in things for my plan to start doing out of state hunts. I also spent a different night going after turkey with my bow. Didn't locate any birds (we are on northern edge of their range and sometimes they are there...other times not. Ended up doing some more stump shooting and a bit of flyfishing.
  [/url] [/IMG]  

No turkey...so checking the trout waters...

[/url] [/IMG]

some success

[/url] [/IMG]

equipment trial...(here I have the bean boots because of hunting...other trial I used the lighter hiking shoes.

Tarp set up

[/url] [/IMG]

I learned a bunch about my equipment. I tried to reduce weight with the use of a z-pad, but was tossing and turning all night making for poor restorative sleep. I will go back to my Exped down 7 which is like sleeping at home and doesn't weigh all that much. The second night was cold and I had snow and ice in morning. The tarp sheltered me well and I was plenty warm in my down bag with merino base layers on. I think I really prefer it to a tent at this point...though I'll wait for the mountain to confirm this.
Spending the day hiking and shooting with my bow was great practice. The Bison worked great and did not effect my shooting. I have a larger pack frame to get everything in to the base camp.

I hope to crawl out of my bed well before light and not waste any morning hunting time. My observation from these overnights was that it is pretty difficult but I can do it. I was stiff as heck after spending the days hiking all over the rocky hills. Can't imagine what the mountain will do to me. Either being 47 is playing a role or I am in need of more conditioning...or more likely...BOTH!  I think sleeping on a good pad will make some difference.

Trip is in 2 weeks so I am going to keep working out with my equipment and be as ready as I can.

Dan

Offline dringge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »
I cant wait to hear how this turns out. I am envious.
NRA Life Member

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2016, 02:26:00 PM »
Bears beware!   :)
Monterey

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2016, 03:48:00 AM »
Good stuff!  Great pics.  Good luck on the hunt.  Great idea going with the pad to help you sleep better.  Your body will definitely appreciate the rest.  

Looking forward to hearing your story and seeing the pictures.

Have fun!!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2016, 06:17:00 AM »
Thanks all for your responses!  This is definitely a learning opportunity for me.  Testing things out around home has been very helpful.  I plan to keep extra things in my truck as back up incase anything doesn't work the way I expect it to.  Going to make a base several miles in and then hunt around that. I will carry a light day pack (Bison Lost Creek) and have a light overnight kit in there in case I wonder out too far.
Next 2 weeks is broadhead sharpening (Kodiak), shooting broadheads into a black bag target I made, and working on conditioning.

Dan

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2016, 03:19:00 PM »
I believe Oldrubline should be out here now. A couple of weeks ago it was cool and moist for a week. there was some fresh white (Snow) in the mountains when the Gray lifted, more so after this Pic was taken.

The weather turned 4-5 days ago and it has been fantastic.  I was out for a short hike with my mother, sister and niece yesterday. The Bitteroot flowers are amazing this spring.

This is a shot looking up into the Rattlesnakes where Oldrubline was planning on being. The snow has just about disappeared over the last couple days. these are South facing slopes.

Looks like a good week to be out here with just a tarp shelter.  My Mother is just to the North side of this Rattlesnake Wilderness area. She was telling me a Mamma Bear and her cubs have been hanging around at her place.
Good Luck Dan!
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by oldrubline:
I tried to reduce weight with the use of a z-pad, but was tossing and turning all night making for poor restorative sleep. I will go back to my Exped down 7 which is like sleeping at home and doesn't weigh all that much.
Dan
This was going to be my contribution to this thread. A good pad can make an enormous difference, especially if using a lightweight shelter.

I personally dislike the Exped line, but that's mostly crotchetiness from having to deal with a lot of them left out by customers at the outdoor store I worked at.

So here's my other suggestion. As indicated above, lots of Western (and even Alaskan) hunters have discovered the virtues of bikes and bike trailers, up to and including elk and Dall sheep hunts. Something to keep in mind for the future, perhaps.

Good luck!

Online gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2016, 05:32:00 PM »
This may be up your alley:  

http://www.northwestwoodsman.com/Articles/TarpSetUp.html

It's made by David Ellis, which means it's going to be made to last generations.  

"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©