3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What was your first recurve/longbow, the one that started it all?  (Read 2946 times)

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
Also what age were you, and feel free to share a story about it.  

For me, it was a green fiberglass Ben Pearson that I picked up at a neighbors garage sale for $10 around 1990 when I was 10 years old.  I already had one aluminum arrow that my Dad and I found in the woods.  I roamed the woods with that one arrow shooting at leaves and stumps. About a week later, I was in Kmart with my Mom and sister and they had Aluminum arrows for sale individually.  I bought 3 or 4 that had feathers and was set.  I had no quiver so I'd carry the arrows in one hand, bow in the other and lay them down when I wanted to shoot at something.  

I knew nothing about arrow spine, FOC, arrow tuning, but man did I have a blast with that little bow and arrows.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What was your first recurve/longbow, the one that started it all?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 11:08:00 AM »
I was 6 and my dad hunted with an old Bear compound.  He bought me a cheap Kmart fiberglass bow. It was really a toy but not to me. He gave me an Easton aluminum with no point and I was set. He let me hunt with him in the woods behind the house and we actually had a buck walk by. He told me to take a shot so i let one fly that made it all of 8 yards.  I will never forget that bow or that experience.

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »
Generic blue fiberglass bow with 3 wooden arrows,imitation leather hip quiver.I was 9 years old and haven't looked back,I am now 57 years old and still enjoy trad shooting and hunting like I am still 9 years old."Keep em flying straight" Lou
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Offline Oznative

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 11:22:00 AM »
It was 1965ish for me and I was 10 years old.  The first bow was a bear all fiberglass that was around 25lb draw maybe just guessing.  I graduated to a Bear Kodiak magnum and used that to hunt rabbits and bow fishing.  I graduated on to a Bear Kodiak hunter just before I went into the service.  I still have the Kodiak hunter and it is in good shape.  It is way too heavy for me now so It just sits on the rack looking pretty.  I went to training wheels and competed with some success but saw the light and went back traditional several years ago.  I’m having lots of fun just shooting targets but plan to get back to hunting too.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 1960's vintage 60# at 28"
Diamondback venom longbow 45# at 28"
Diamondback venom recurve 47# at 28"

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
11 years old internature three piece 30 lbs recurve
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
My uncle gave me a 35 lb Ben Pearson recurve in 1986. I never turned back after killing my first bunny with it.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 11:49:00 AM »
I was 7, my dad shot a Damon howat super diablo. I would stand and watch him and then go pull arrows from the hay bales.
After a few days of this he decided to make me a bow. It was an old bamboo fiberglass deep-sea rod he cut down. I used the eyelet as a rest and shot his cut down Easton 2117. In a month I was hitting sodacans. And spent all my free time out back shooting.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 11:59:00 AM »
Started when I was 16 and me and my dad went to a guy by the name of John Jordans house to see what kind of bows he made. We ended up ordering recurves. We stayed at Johns house for hours shooting all the bows he had and getting tips from him. He is a fantastic guy and Bowyer and I'm very lucky to have started in this sport with such a great person to help me along the way!
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline Pat Ct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 12:01:00 PM »
Hoyt pro hunter 35# given to me by a friend's father who got into compound and gave up one heck of a bow because it wasn't "fast enough". I was 10 and used it until I had enough cash to invest in a higher poundage Recurve 10 years later. I am now 30 and still have and exercise form with that first bow.  

Cheers, Pat.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 12:06:00 PM »
I graduated from shrub shoot bows and arrows and store twine to a real lemonwood bow of about 15-20# when I was 7.  That was a little more than 60 years ago. Killed a few sputzers (sparrows) with it, and a lot of stumps, grass clumps and leaves. Been shooting a stick ever since.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 12:10:00 PM »
Shot off and on with different stick bows as a kid but my first serious trad bow was a 52" Kodiak Mag. My fingers still aren't quit the same as they were prior to that bow. Haha. I dusted it off back in 2007 or so I think and got a crack at a doe. The nostalgia quickly rubbed off and I put her back up again after that.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »
One of Owen Jeffery's personal bows, a 48# Jeffery classic 60.

Here is a picture of my first Trad kill at age 15 with that bow and some wooden arrows I made with wooden dowels from the hardware store and 125gr snuffers.  I was a proud kid!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 12:17:00 PM »
My first real bow was a lemonwood longbow.  Before that it was vine maple bows we made.  Grew up a little south of you in Lk. Stevens.

Do they still have the late elk hunt up that way?

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »
First real bow was a Bear Red Bear.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »
I did have a few kid fiberglass bows growing up but, my first real bow was a Bighorn TD that I ordered when I was only 18 way back in 1987, and Ive never looked back. Prior to that I shot a compound for 4 years but when I had a real job and some money I bought the custom Bighorn. Killed 6 bucks with that bow the first 6 years I had it.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
My first real bow was a lemonwood longbow.  Before that it was vine maple bows we made.  Grew up a little south of you in Lk. Stevens.

Do they still have the late elk hunt up that way?

Mike
Mike, Elk hunting up here isn't what it used to be, not because of numbers, we're covered up in Elk herds, but because of WDFW restricting it so much.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline NEB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 01:15:00 PM »
I met Dan Quillian while a student at UGA.  He taught me to shoot with a 60# bamboo longhunter.  I could not afford it, so I scraped up a few bucks and with a Bass Pro gift card I bought a 50# Bear Grizzly.  I gave that bow to my brother five years ago as his first recurve.  I never did get me a longhunter before Dan retired, but I am forever thankful for him teaching me to shoot.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
My first "real" bow was a lemonwood longbow that my grandfather gave me in 1961 (I was 9).  While shooting it a few years later, it became it became a 3 piece.  He then gave me a recurve he had made in the Traverse City, Michigan area in the early 50's.  Still have the bow, but thanks to my idiot cousin dry-firing it while I was in the Air Force, it is not shootable.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 02:00:00 PM »
Here is what I posted on a previous thread.

I grew up fishing and crabbing with my brothers but always wanted to go hunting but didn't know one person that hunted. When I was 22 I read an article in a 1984 Sports Afield magazine called "Comeback of the Long Bow" by Lionel Atwill. He really hit me hard but I didn't have the money to order a bow. Was still in college and on my own with barely enough to eat. In 1990 after the loans were paid off I saw an ad in Bowhuter Magazine for the Dan Bertalen Bokk "Traditional Bowyers of America" and read it in 2 days and ordered a Scorpion Longbow. Bowhunting and Archery has changed my life and I am so grateful i read that article so long ago in Sports Afield. I met some of my best friends through this sport.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 02:08:00 PM »
A fiberglass  "Indian" brand kids bow that I got in the 50s, but my first real hunting bow was a Bear Grizzly that I got around 1970. Never killed anything but rabbits and a snake or two with it. Wish I still had it.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©