3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What was your first recurve/longbow, the one that started it all?  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What was your first recurve/longbow, the one that started it all?
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
50# Ben Pearson "Ol Ben" longbow. About 1963 or 64. Went up to an 80# a few years later shot that weight for many years. Now prefer 55-60# at 65 years old. and mostly recurves now.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
'71 Bear grizzly, 45@28, and 3 bent aluminum arrows started it all for me.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2016, 09:48:00 PM »
First commercial bow was a 25# Shakespeare Parabow 50 yrs ago followed by a 1969 Little Bear and then a LH 45# Black Bear for 29.00 new. Still have all three and recently started shooting the Black Bear again - his time with both eyes open vs closing right eye back then.

Remember shooting field goals with the Shakespeare at a new off campus athletic field a local college had built about a mile away through the woods from my house. We would shoot whatever, whenever!

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »
Ben Pearson Puma, 40#@28". It was a new 1967 model.

« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2016, 10:49:00 PM »
My first trad bow was a Bear Kodiak Hunter recurve. My first custom bow was a Palmer recurve. My first "custom for me" bow was a Sarrels Sierra, one piece longbow.

Since 2009, I have been shooting "THE bow", a Sarrels Blueridge takedown longbow!

Bisch

Offline Napi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2016, 08:38:00 PM »
1971 Kodiak Hunter, 40# with micro flight arrows. I still have the bow... wish I still had the arrows.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2016, 08:00:00 AM »
My first was an early 70's 40# Ben Pearson. Think it was a Gamester but don't hold me to that.
SWA Spyder

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2016, 11:40:00 AM »
40# Bear solid fiberglass longbow, ambidextrous grip, in 1963. Looking forward to my 54th year of bowhunting this year, shooting a 63# recurve.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »
My first was a Samick Sage. Last December, at 37 years old after being a lifelong hunter with a compound. Since then I've bought a custom longbow from Mike McCready and have another one being made now.

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2016, 02:21:00 PM »
I still remember getting my very first on black Friday when I was around 5 or six years old. It came with suction cup arrows! I kept shooting regular arrows from it after loosing the originals and constantly remaking strings for it from twine. Then around 10 or 12 I got a red bear recurve kids bow. I terrorized the rabbits on my grandparents' farm with that one. Still remember buying some new arrows at the sporting goods store with my grandfather. While we were there we looked at a bear compound and he was really close to buying it for me but changed his mind. When we got home that evening there was a rabbit by the house. I took that red recurve and one of those new arrows and shot my first animal! Never did buy a compound and I think my grandfather never thought id actually hit one!

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
I was 12 n had saved my money n bought a compound n was shooting it but was so captivated by all the stick bows n the magazines ar that time n had to have one n saved up more lunch money n bought a howatt hunter, overed bowed myself with 50lbs but took off from there both working n a bow shop as a jr n sr n high school n having my own bow n gun shop latter.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2016, 07:10:00 PM »
I started off with a compound back when I was a teenager. After shooting a friend's trad bows one evening, I was hooked. I bought a used tall tines recurve off of Kentuckytj and haven't looked back.

Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline 8upbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »
Shot compounds since the late 70's then Jan 2015 my son bought a 60# bear Grizzly so in Feb I bought one also. I've since sold my 60# Grizzly and bought a 45# one. I have only shot 1 arrow (probably my last one) from my wheel bow since buying my first trad bow.
8upbowhunter
>>>————>

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2016, 11:23:00 PM »
Dad bought me a Ben Pearson Super Jet 35# glass bow to keep me occupied in the woods as he and my uncles built a cabin in the North Woods. I was 9 or ten at the time.
I still have it and still shoot it on occasion.

Aim small,miss small

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2016, 11:46:00 PM »
A Bear Grizzly  that I wish I still owned for just sentimental reasons.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2016, 11:59:00 PM »
My first real bow was a 1954 Bear Cub , 36#@28" .
Still have that bow .
My next bow was a 1973 Bear Kodiak Magnum , 45#@28" . Still have that one too .
In fact that K-Mag is still my favorite bow .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2016, 01:34:00 AM »
I was 8. I got a fiberglass recurve (can't remember the brand but think it was Bear). I would get up every morning about six and chase black birds around the neighborhood. I finally killed one after a couple of months. Then I just quit hunting them and started shooting other stuff. This was in 1963.

Offline TKO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2016, 10:54:00 PM »
I made my first bow from a sapling around 1977 or 78 or so. I had one arrow made from what I cannot remember except that the fletch was a loosely spiral wrapped tail feather I pulled from one of our roosters. It was fun when the bow and/or string wasn't broken.

I didn't actually really get into archery until about 1986 or 87. i bought a compound bow with the sole purpose of extending my hunting season. Period. It was just supposed to be a tool.

I ended up working in a pro shop and got really caught up in the latest, greatest, most high tech bow hunting equipment for a couple years. But, I never really got the satisfaction I thought I would.

I don't remember where I found it but, I came across a Groves Spitfire. It seemed to call out to me so, I bought it for a little bit of nothing. That was the bow that sank its fangs into my soul and revealed which path my archery journey would follow.

I still have 6 or 7 compounds that I haven't looked at in years. Unfortunately, the Groves Spitfire fell victim to the South Florida sun in the back seat of a friend's car after he borrowed it for a trad 3D shoot.

There wasn't anything particularly special about that bow, at least not physically. However, without it, I wouldn't have discovered the true joy of archery/bowhunting.
7 “But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;
8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you.
9 Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this?
10 In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.
Job 12:7-10

Wild Horse Creek Kestrel #44@28

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2016, 10:50:00 PM »
My first real bow was a 45 lb Pearson recurve that I bought at a pawn shop for $20.00 in 1980 when I was 14 years old. Before that I had a 20 lb green fiberglass Bear recurve.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2016, 01:24:00 AM »
My first trad bow was a Grizzly. I sold it a few years ago to a young fellow who was just getting started in bow hunting with trad gear. Good to know the old griz is getting someone else started.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©