3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Western hunt clothing system  (Read 811 times)

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
Western hunt clothing system
« on: April 29, 2016, 06:37:00 AM »
Lot of folks on here have shared with me their experience and recommendations regarding clothing for Western hunts. Mostly this has been the 'shell layering system' with its effecient and light synthetic outer shell, puff vest, merino base.  I have been hunting the Upper Peninsula Michigan for years and always enjoyed the traditional style Asbell wool, Johnson Mill pants, and bean style boots.  Granted, my blinds are only a 2 mile hike and then I am sitting a lot. Anyone still out there using old style wool and traditional boots for elk, bear, and other hunts in the mountains?  If so, I would love to hear from you and your experience!  I am willing to aquire the new type clothing (Kuiu and the rest) if it makes the difference. That being said, I ordered one of the new fangled puff vests thats supposed to be quiet and I might as well just stuff crumpled dry leaves up in my coat!  Sent it back and went and fondled my Asbell wool vest (while  the wife wasn't looking of course!)

Thanks!

Dan

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Western hunt clothing system
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 08:46:00 AM »
My elk hunts are in Wyoming. Early Sept. I wear tough pants that have been washed enough to be quiet. Polypropylene t shirt and wool layers as needed. It you're used to the UP you won't need a lot. Comfortable boots with good ankle support and a heel for riding. I don't wear insulated boots but it has to be pretty cool for me to grab those. Always a neck gaiter. I can dress a lot lighter when I wear one.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 09:16:00 AM »
Just depends, I know a number of people that use the KOM stuff, but it depends on the weather, the terrain, hunting style etc..  If your backpacking in and weight matters then clothing and boot style matter more, if you are truck camping and wandering in for the day and back to truck/camp at the end of the day then you can get away with whatever. Some places I wouldn't use the boots you mentioned, some places they would probably be OK or even desirable. But a good moderately stiff hiking boot will always work.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »
Depends on how and when you're hunting. I backpack hunt as you know, so wool would be suicide. Though I find that solid color backpacking-brand (Marmot/Patagonia/etc) clothing can be found on sale MUCH cheaper than the big names (Kuiu/Sitka/etc) and performs every bit as well. The synthetic stuff is a little noisier, as you noticed, but I've never had it bother an animal.

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »
I use it not all the time but a lot plaid shirt filson whipcord or first lite wool pants
The older I get the better I was

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 10:01:00 AM »
I hunted for years with cotton clothes and cheap rain gear before all the new stuff came out and survived. The new stuff can make you more comfortable. You definitely want decent boots.  When the steep hillsides get wet you need serious traction.  A wool vest is a nice piece. Merino base layers are great. Some decent rain gear is another key layer.  You don't need the total kuiu, Sitka or whatever system to hunt out west.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 10:18:00 AM »
I am been elk hunting for over 25 years, the clothings have to adapt to the place and the season. Usually opening week in Colorado is pretty warm, but you can be hit by some tunderstorms. AS the season procedes temperatures fall down and you can Face snowstorms. Said that for me the most important thing in elk hunting is to arrive well fit and prepared, that makes the difference. I own almost every kind of clothings and I never looked at the price so althroug I like the weight and some caratheristcs of Kuiu and Sitka, I prefere to have my outer Jacket Made of wool,main reason: it has a very better camo capability to absorb the light and change the contrast in the different situations. It is very quiet and confortable in any situation expecially if climb and then stop and you go again, like it happens in all elk huntings. I am been busted by elk wearing Sitka and others just staying motionless in cloudy days and light rain. It was like my clothings were shining. Never had this happening me with my 20 years old KOM jacket
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 10:19:00 AM »
For backpacking in heavy wool is definitely out of the picture. Lightweight synthetics with merino wool base layers are the way to go. We hike in ~4.5 mi and try to keep pack weight to a minimum. I usually wear lighter pants for the in/out hike (they are my backup pants) and wear one pair of pants for the weeklong hunt. My choice for hunt pants is KUIU. My boots are generally fairly light weight. Last year I chose Chacos and this year Salomons. In the mountains you'll want a boot with good arch and ankle support. Some folks want a heavy hiking/hunting boot but I prefer an uninsulated medium hiking boot. For shirts I prefer merino wool only. NO COTTON! I'll wear two for early mornings with my KUIU guide vest then down to one shirt later in the day and rotate them every day so they don't get too funky. Oh! To go along with the boot setup it's again merino wool socks. I typically carry in 3 or 4 pair and rotate them with a washing somewhere in between.

In Colorado late September hunting it's cold in the mornings and mild in the afternoons. If it gets real cold I just put on all my layers and top them off with Cabela's SpaceRain gear as a wind stop and stay pretty warm.

Merino wool beanie and neck gator are comfortable additions, too.
Romans 8:28

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 10:25:00 AM »
Merino base layers , wool or fleece shirt , good wool hiking socks and sock liners , wool or fleece vest , good rain gear , rugged pants , I have a pair of Danner boots that have done me right and will going with me again ( snow seal your boots well and have them well broke in ). Thinking on getting a pair of Gators to try this year also , I also have a fleece facemask and wool sock hat , wool gloves and poly glove liners. A pair of leather gloves are nice also for rough hiking and around camp for working and cooking....

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 10:26:00 AM »
Old Goat2 hit it on the nose. I backpack hunt 5 miles into a Colorado Wilderness and have gone exclusively to layering up with synthetic lightweight Kuiu camo's over Merino wool base layers. I would still use your Asbell wool vest if I were you. I would like to be able to use my KOM clothing but do not have enough room in my pack for them for my 10 day hunts and they are WAAAAY too hot to wear while packing in and out. Kuiu clothing is plenty quiet for elk hunting. If you don't plan on packing in then by all means continue wearing your wool clothing. Your Bean style boots won't give your feet enough support for the steep side hills you'll be hunting in the West. Medium weight, above the ankle, torsionally stiff, uninsulated boots work the best. My boots also have a Gotetex lining.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 05:22:00 PM »
Some people can get by with Bean boots, but I tried it once on a Utah backpack hunt and was darn near crippled by the second day. In my opinion, well broken in mid-weight hikers would be a safer choice.

Offline jleidy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
I love all of my First Lite gear. I wear the merino chama hoody every day in September elk country. I have two pair the kanab wool pants, the guide pants, 3 chama hoodys, a llano lightweight base, and a puffy jacket. I love them all.  I can wear the same merino base layers for 4 or 5 days straight before they start to stink too bad.
Northern Mist Classic 68" 65#
Northern Mist Baraga 62" 51#
Maddog Prairie Predator 63"  40#
Shawnee Traditions Spirit Flatbow 62" 64#
1965 Bear Kodiak 60" 53#

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »
As mentioned, quality boots with good support and traction for the steep muddy slopes are a must.  Not only for daily hiking, but even more importantly when you kill an animal and have to carry a heavily loaded pack.  Add some quality wool socks and you have the most important part covered.

As for clothing, the lightweight stuff really does work better.  The most important layer there is your base layer - merino wool is outstanding!  I kick myself every year for not switching to it sooner, but will never go without it now.  

The rest is more open to preference, but the newer high tech fabrics do preform better.  I might start the day with a merino wool base layer, a cool dry long sleeve T, a vest, and a soft shell jacket.  By late morning all but the long sleeve T will often be in my pack.  I do it occasionally, but to me, wool is just too warm most of the time if I am actively hiking in the mountains.  And it is a lot bulkier and heavier if I need to stuff it in my pack.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »
thank you all for taking the time to reply!  You have been very generous with sharing your experience.  I will try and put a system together that reflects the advice above.  I have some merino now and love it so far. I'll look again at the puff vests and other products.

Dan

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »
I wear light and medium weight wool on my western hunts and have for 30 plus years.  I'm not a fan of the high tech, skin tight stuff, though I'm sure it works.  As others have pointed out, Bean boots won't cut it in the mountains.  Need something with more support and a harder tread.  The best boot I've found is Kennetrek hard scrabble hikers.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »
First: be aware of you phisical limits,no clothing system can help you if you aren't prepared,then if you are well fit for the mountains any mountain wear is good as it is been for centuries. I rather care on my form first than what is going to be on my backpack,only if you are so so you need to care.
Second: I like light weight trekking boots or shoes,I have friends running the 200K in the mountains and wearing light and low trekking/ running shoes,but if you are far from base camp and the weather tuns fool,rain,snow,muddy steepy slopes,it is better you have heavy high hunting boots,expecially far from the trails.
So be prepared for everything. In warm and dry conditions I would go with mocassins,so know the forecast too.
Every place is different every season is different.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 04:06:00 PM »
Not that anyone needs more to carry... but since we are talking about foot wear and moccasins and what to take, I have been strapping some light weight garden Sloggers on to my Camp pack. A pair of  Size 11s is 11.1 oz. They are light, wide, with some cushion in the sole and feel So so good to put on after a day of climbing and side-hilling. I wear them around camp, my boots can air out and my feet.... AHHhh.

I need to lighten my load here and there but these garden Sloggers are going to keep coming for a while.
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 04:52:00 PM »
Pinky- I got that tip from Steve O. On his recommendation I have been carrying Crocs.  They are feather light and awesome around camp- AND double for use if you need to cross a high creek/river.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by pinky:
Not that anyone needs more to carry... but since we are talking about foot wear and moccasins and what to take, I have been strapping some light weight garden Sloggers on to my Camp pack. A pair of  Size 11s is 11.1 oz. They are light, wide, with some cushion in the sole and feel So so good to put on after a day of climbing and side-hilling. I wear them around camp, my boots can air out and my feet.... AHHhh.

I need to lighten my load here and there but these garden Sloggers are going to keep coming for a while.
We did similar last year, we both brought our Keen Sandals for the same, but this next season we plan on having some Crocks as much as I hate them, they will be much lighter than the Keens by far!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 05:38:00 PM »
Crocs and Two Tracks Wool insoles--best camp slippers EVER!

And those Two Tracks insoles are the last piece of wool I will own. I've owned all the best wool, way back to Paul Brunner's Swannies. Filson, KOM, Sleeping Indian, Gray Wolf, First Lite. Wool was the best there was 100 years ago. Wool was the best there was 15 years ago. Wool is not the best there is any more, in particular for mountain hunting. You could not pay me to climb a mountain in a pair of wool pants; not ever again.

I clung to my merino wool over synthetic base lares for a long time. Head to head testing between the newest Sitka Gear synthetic base layers last year from Alaska to Arizona and all points between found me unloading the last of my merino base layers this winter. I just found some KOM in a box in the back of the hunting closet that will be in the classifieds shortly; I've not worn it in a decade once I discovered how much more comfortable I could be in every conceivable field condition in my "modern" clothes.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©