3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help! Considering a wheelie!  (Read 438 times)

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
Help! Considering a wheelie!
« on: April 29, 2016, 08:52:00 AM »
Ok guys, I will try to keep this brief but I have a lot of thoughts nagging me about this.

Started hunting at 21 (am 26 now) so completely self-taught, trial and error, lots of research. Never had anyone to model good woodsmanship. Getting to within 20 yards of a deer has been problematic so far, because I simply don't have the skills tuned yet. I have seen plenty of trad guys who consistently get closish but not quite close enough to feel comfortable for their shot so with my encounter rate being way lower than a lot of hunters that means even less chance of me making a harvest.

In my current situation (married, 2 small children, graduate student) my hunting time is limited so there aren't a lot of opportunities to improve and also not a significant amount of time to dedicate to shooting, tuning my bow and arrows, etc.

The other issue is consistency. I can only practice at home at 10 yards because I live in town and have to shoot in my basement. At that range I can shoot 1 inch groups at times and then other days I am all over the board. So the inconsistency kills my confidence if a shot does present itself.

I am starting to think about adding a compound to the collection of weapons to "increase my chance of success" when I do get an encounter. I feel I may have a better shot at harvesting a deer if I can drive nails at 40 yards. I also am planning on out of state hunting in the next few years and again, I don't want to spend all that time, energy and money into a hunt that will be blown because I cannot take a shot due to limited range.

I have no other issues with the trad lifestyle and can see myself continuing it even if I am a compound shooter as well. I know the hunt is more important than the harvest but that is a hard pill to swallow so many times.

I don't know if I am looking for your pardon if I do go this route or if I am looking for you to talk me off the ledge, but any wisdom or experiences with my dilemma would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help! Considering a wheelie!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 09:05:00 AM »
I think it is about the hunt not the kill, but everyone is different so do what you are comfortable with.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 09:10:00 AM »
Perhaps a rifle?

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
I do semi agree with Ranger 3.  It is about the hunt, but if it wasn't about the kill as well, then we should just be taking cameras to the woods.  

back to the original post, this may sound crazy, but i'd say get you a wheelie bow.  When you're hunting in limited, your sightings are limited, etc, having the increased distance and confidence is worth it imo.  I think the bottom line to me is you owe it to what you hunt to, if you should hit it, is to kill it.  If that's with a compound or tradbow, we shouldn't care.  

As far as the limited range, etc.  The more you practice, the better you'll be.  With you only being able to shoot 10 yards, don't expect your 40 yard accuracy to be great with the wheelie either.  To be good at 40, I would always shoot 60+ yards.  

Overall, I would say do what is best for YOU!  After you kill a few with your compound and lose that exciting feeling, you'll most likely be back to a trad bow.  That's how I found myself here.  

Daniel
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 09:16:00 AM »
I have been hunting with a compound for about 6 years.  I switched to trad just a year ago.  I have had good success with my compound, and enjoy shooting it.  Once I started shooting trad I have tried to get away from the wheels.  On that note, shooting a compound does not make it an easy hunt,  I need to practice with my compound as much as trad equip to keep my confidence levels up.  You mention driving nails at 40 yrds, and it is easier to achieve that goal with wheels.  But sure enough your first shot opportunities will be past your comfort range.  I don't knock any one for hunting with rifle, compound, or trad so long as it is done ethically.  Decide what you want and go have fun.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 09:16:00 AM »
I am married, had a child, had a job where I traveled a lot, had chores, chose to shoot my bow a lot too.

The choice is yours and yours alone.  You alone decide what you want out of this and every endeavor.  If all you want is a dead deer, buy a rifle, it is easier, or a crossbow, same reason.

If you want something else, well figure out your wants and needs and act on them.  "all we can do is decide what to do with the time we are given".

What I want and need and my thoughts and blessings don't matter at all.

ChuckC

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
The short answer is traditional gear isn't for everyone.  If you're only able to shoot at home at 10 yards, that's not enough space to learn to shoot a compound either.  

You mentioned that you don't have a lot of time for shooting, and tuning your bow and arrows.  If you think tuning a trad bow and arrows takes time, wait till you get a compound.  It really sounds to me like you don't have the time to invest in becoming proficient with either, and I've been in that situation too, so if I were you I'd sit out hunting until I could dedicate the time to be proficient.  The game we chase deserves at least that much.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
I think the real questions are, what do you want to do, and what do you want to accomplish through that?  Limited hunting time is a problem for a lot of us, I suspect, and even for those with well-developed woodsmanship (and marksmanship), that limits the number of opportunities one gets for a reasonable kill shot.  Personally, I hunt less for deer now, and try to get out more often for shorter hunts for small game and varmints.
Jim

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 09:36:00 AM »
A decision only you can make. No one else knows what's best for you in your current circumstances. I for one wouldn't be asking for stranger's opinions or advice.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »
Only you can, and should, decide what you want to hunt with and why. Actually, it sounds more like your woodsmanship skills, rather than archery skills, are your major drawback. (One of the most consistent bow hunters I know kills most deer at 10 to 12 yards.) These skills can be improved. Read a lot of material, and you will notice similarities in what the various experts have to say.

Essentially, locate an area with a good deer population. Learn where the deer already want to go. Set up in that area with close attention to the wind - always the wind. BE STILL, BE QUIET! Let the deer come to you. Pick a spot. See, none of this is anything you have not heard before. You just need to get better at it. You will never be perfect, and you will always screw up some chances as we all do, no matter what weapon you hunt with.

Personally, I don't think changing to a compound bow will cause your problems to evaporate. Nonetheless, use what suits you. Spend time in the off season studying your hunting area and get the deer patterned. Then be patient.

Whatever your decision, I wish you luck. It will happen. I too had no hunting mentor, and it took me a long time to begin taking deer, and at that time I used a rifle. The average hunter will take fewer deer with a trad bow, because he accepts certain limitations as part of the process. For years, I hunted rifle in gun season and bow during archery season, and finally migrated to bow only. Maybe that will work for you, but whatever happens, do what suits you. As long as you hunt legally and ethically you are a sportsman.
Sam

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 09:42:00 AM »
^^^Like Jim said
Do what you want - I shot a compound for years and had decent success when I had time to hunt. I switched for the simple fact that I enjoyed shooting longbows and recurves more and had no desire to shoot a deer at 40 yards sitting in a tree, did not like rangefinders, bow presses, draw boards etc. I had it all and always two high end Hoyts.
In addition, for about 5 years I went back and forth shooting both, if I took a compound hunting a deer would be at 10 yards, if I took a recurve, 40 yards. My harvests have suffered using the equipment I have chosen but that is okay with me - could all change this year - ha!
Lack of time to scout and survey will hurt your success more that than switching equipment. Family and kids take a lot of your time, wait until they get older, even more time. Do whatever YOU want!

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 09:54:00 AM »
There are lots of easier ways to kill a deer than with trad gear. If you want to be a trad bow hunter you have to hunt with a trad bow. My first kills were with a rifle, then a compound and now a trad bow (past 15 years).  I couldn't imagine hunting with a compound again.  That was my path, it was a decades long path. Do what you need to do and don't beat yourself up about it.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »
If you want a wheelie bow, go get one or heck go get a gun!  But, I kind of side with what the guys are saying on this one.  

We don't hunt to kill, we hunt for the challenge.  We survive off other forms of hunting and store bought items.

Truth be told however, I bet I have killed more deer with a rifle WITHIN 20-30 yard ranges than I have killed deer with a rifle outside these bow ranges.  You just need to keep it fun, buy lots of meat from the store (or eat small game) if you get hungry until you can fine tune your setups.

You live in Ohio, which IMO is plenty enough of a target rich environment  to get on deer within 20 yards.  Maybe does at first but you are young and will get there.

Good luck on your adventure.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »
Nay sayers will be just that. You get out in the field and enjoy hunting. Dedication and try is all that is needed to be successful. Be mindful of how you measure success.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©