3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got that new bow in but ...  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Dan A

• Trad Bowhunter
Got that new bow in but ...
« on: April 29, 2016, 09:30:00 PM »
Got the new left handed bow in and I have done some research but wanted to verify with you guys.

I had the bow setup but not so sure I got what was needed.

I shoot and specified 3 under.

1st: Using a bow square, the bottom of the nock point is 1/2" lower that the shelf. Am I correct in thinking this should be about 1/2" above the shelf instead of under? Arrow tilts upwards on the shelf when nocked and towards the front of the shelf has over a 1/4" of clearance between shelf and arrow like it is now. I did try turning the string around just to make sure but that dropped it a lot more.

2nd. The beaverballs or whatever that were put on I was thinking should be around maybe 12" from the tips of the bows. These are about 17" from the tips of the bow and look like they are too close up toward the nocking point. Where should they be.

3rd. For this Bear Montana I am showing a brace height from 7.5 to 8.5 inches. Its currently set as 7" from the shop setup. Where should I start? I was thinking in the middle at 8" but how do I tell if I need to go up or down?

4th. As many reviews had noted, the little leather wrap on the bow handle is not anything I am impressed with. I took it off and like it off. How or what can I use on the bow to get all that sticky stuff off without messing up the riser any? Soap and water don't seem to do the trick.

Lastly, and I bet you guys are saying ... finally ... lol! I bought my first longbow close to a month ago which was a right handed bow instead of left. In all those times of shooting it, which was everyday, I never worn an arm guard and never ever got any wrist slap. Now I am getting some minor wrist slap. Could that be from any of the problems listed above or is it something else I could be doing since I switched from right handed to left causing it. I know you don't know for sure, just looking for ideas to look for what is causing it.

Many thanks to you great group of guys. I know all my newb questions got to be getting old but please bare with me.

Also I am assuming if that nock point is wrong, I will have to get some nock pliers to get it off? Which I do not have.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got that new bow in but ...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
Wow Dan!
1st.  Yes nocking point should be ABOVE the shelf.  Did you get the string on upside down?  Look at the string, the larger loop should go on the top limb and small loop on the lower.
2nd. Silencers may or may not be in a good location but don't sweat it for now.  You can always move them later.
3rd. It's generally a good idea to start in the middle of the recommended brace height.  I'm not familiar with the Montana but 7.5 to 8.5 SOUNDS a little high for a longbow but whatever the manufacturer recommends.
4th. Don't know, never taken a leather grip off.
Last.  Wear an armguard!!  Especially while you are learning a new bow and switching side to boot.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Dan A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
Thanks Arne, yea I did check the string. It was already on the bow. I did take it off the bow and swapped ends just to make sure that didn't happen somehow before it was put on the bow and sent but when I did that it dropped the nock point a whole lot more even lower so I did make sure the string was not on backwards.

I will search and see how to get the nock point off of the string. Guess I will need to order some nocks and a nocking tool to put one back on.

Ok I will start in the middle of the brace height at 8" but when I shoot, how do I know from shooting if I need to lower, raise or leave alone the brace height?

THanks for all your help!

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »
At first I would just set the brace at the recommended height and leave it there.  Right now work on the right spine arrow for the bow , set the knock point (1/2 to 3/4 for 3 under ) and work on form up close about 5 to 10 yards for a good couple of months until you get a good feel of the bow and your form.
" Live long and prosper "

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 11:25:00 PM »
Dan,

Congrats on the new new bow!  Learning all this stuff is half the fun of the trad journey!

Read, research, and enjoy it!

Getting a knock off is as simple as opening the brass without cutting your string.  A pair of knocking pliers will do the trick.

Good luck and remember that the "search" tool is your friend on this website!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 11:28:00 PM »
My Montana likes an 8 in brace. I used goofoff product to take the goo off of the grip when I removed the leather wrap. My nock point is just a hair over 1/2 in above the shelf. The low brace height might be responsible for the arm slap. stiff arming the bow might be the problem as well. I am fairly new to this longbow game as well so take my advice with a grain of salt. Good luck!
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 12:48:00 AM »
Can't really add to whats been said, and msturm is on it. "Set up" from a shop is a nearly pointless idea. Maybe a small shop can get it close if needed, but a bigger shop's "set up" often means that all the correct components are generally located where they belong. They probably (correctly) assume that you, the shooter, will tune to liking (since you'll have to no matter what) and so why waste time doing what will just need undone? For the silencers, just slide them where you want them, for most longbows theyre hardly needed as is. Nocking point is easy to move, I use a small screw driver to seperate the crimp ans move as tuning dictates. You'll have to play with brace height, however keep an eye on it as the string will likely stretch as it settles. Nature of the beast. As for string slap....ehh. I've never owned a guard. One day I may get one but I haven't been compelled to need one. Switching to left could be causing you to rotate your bow arm elbow a little more, or some other form issue. It could be the brace too. Goofoff will clear the barge cement off easily enough. Good luck! I've heard lots of great things about the Montana!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 01:24:00 AM »
If its the factory bear string you might think about getting a replacement, new bears are known to have pretty crummy strings.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 04:46:00 AM »
Everyone has given you great advise on all points. Something I would add is to take off your nock point and tie one on that is movable. There are tutorials in the how to section . If you spread the brass nock with a screwdriver it will come off without pliers.
Denny

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 05:34:00 AM »
First new string. I shoot three under on a bear ausable my nock height is 5/8 start at 1/2 and adjust up from there. Montana is no heavy r/d i would start 8 on brace as mentioned already. Silencer dont worry for now. I use rubbing alcohol to get eticky stuff off. Takea more elbow greesr less likely to hurt finishes. Depends on how you hold bow some people get wrist slap some dont get an arn guard.  Lastly have fun yiu have a great bow.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Dan A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 06:44:00 AM »
Thanks guys for all the help.

Anyone have string recommendations on what to buy? I'll get one ordered.

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
Hey Dan, I'd be happy to make you a string. What is the AMO?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »
Half inch might be a bit much but some folks put their arrows ABOVE the nock point, which changes things a lot.  Yes, I saw, you shoot three under, which certainly needs a nock point above, and maybe even below (depending on if your finger touches the arrow or is below somewhere).

My personal take is that, on any bow I receive, new or used, I take it apart then rebuild and and make it work for me.  I never just use it "as is".

ChuckC

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 10:18:00 AM »
Traditional bows are not like compound bows where everything is set up for you and "ready to shoot".  All the issues you laid out are things that are things that are easily adjusted and things you need to know how to do.  Don't be afraid to tinker with things.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Dan A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 10:36:00 AM »
Flatshooter I really appreciate the offer. I will send you a PM.

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 04:46:00 PM »
No worries Dan! Send me your addy and I'll get a  D97 Flemish twist string out to you this week.

Offline Dan A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
I got lucky and found 6 nock points at our local Walmart, clearance for 50 cents no less, lol.

I do not have a nock tool so can I put it on with pliers at least temporarily so I can shoot the bow until I am able to get nock plies next week?

After fixing the brace height and hopefully changing this nock out I am getting excited about shooting it.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
I've never owned a crimping tool. Might make em prettier, but thats about it.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Dan A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 07:56:00 PM »
Cool, thanks! If I can just get this sticky stuff off the riser from taking the leather hand grip off, lol.

That is some mean stuff.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 08:22:00 PM »
WOW...........

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©