3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hiding sight holes???  (Read 463 times)

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
Hiding sight holes???
« on: April 29, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
I just purchased a mid 70s production recurve. I really like the feel of the bow and enjoy shooting it. However, the bow is in need of some TLC.  Part of me says "just shoot the bow and keep it original". The other part of me says "if I don't give the bow a new finish it could be totally lost as there are quite a few scratches that expose wood and fiberglass".
If I decide to refinish, I'm also considering "personalizing" the bow. Adding tip overlays is one possibility. The biggest fix however would be the two holes drilled in the side for mounting a site. I've never used a site on a traditional bow nor do I intend to. I don't really want to try and color match and putty the holes. And I don't really want to put brass inserts in as I know I will never use them.
Does anyone have any creative ideas for concealing the holes?
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hiding sight holes???
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 10:31:00 PM »
A customized Kwikee quiver with stitched leather cover over the hood don't look bad and the bracket would cover the holes. If you didn't want to install inserts you can just do as I have and use pan headed wood screws to hold the bracket on and it works just fine. Of coarse I only mentioned this in the event you struggle with an option to conceal them. Best wishes.

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 12:38:00 AM »
fill them with dowel, sawdust/glue mix, epoxy, you can really fill them with anything. If you don't want to color match then maybe paint the bow?
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 02:46:00 AM »
I have filled riser holes with epoxy tinted using resin dye, (I live in hawaii there are surf factories all over and resin tint is easy to come by)  I have used the tint available at the paint counter at home depo as well. but it makes the epoxy dry slower.

You could make it match your overlays.
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 03:23:00 AM »
I would just use some Goop or Shoe Goo to fill the holes...it not only seals them it takes on some of the surrounding color to make them less noticeable

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Horsey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 07:42:00 AM »
The little wood filler sticks available at Home Depot or any other similar store will work just fine.  They are designed to fill nail holes on wood trim.  You can choose from a variety of shades and colors to closely match the surface you are filling. Another option, if you can identify the wood where the holes are is to find a scrap piece of matching wood, grind up some sawdust, mix it with epoxy and fill the holes.  Once dry, just sand flush and rub on some compatible finish.  Good luck.

--Mike Dunnaway

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »
If the riser is flat on that side you could use a sliver of elk or deer antler epoxied to it over the holes.   Or inlay a knapped arrowhead,  silver animal charm, or anything that catches your interest.  Also look at mosaic  pins at knife making supply websites.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
The bow is flat on that side. The Mosiac pins are a neat idea. I had no idea they had such elaborate designs till I looked at some. Doing a large inlay to cover both holes would be cool. Anyone ever done anything like that? Any pics?
My mind is really turning now   :thumbsup:
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©