3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch-Tite Platinum Problems  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Wolf1007

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch-Tite Platinum Problems
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
Yeager

Who makes the Fast Set Gel?

Jim
Dale Dye Trails End 60" 55#@28"
Dale Dye Medicine Point 58” 53#@28"
Schafer Silvertip 60" 55#@28"
Stalker Wolverine FXT 60" 51#@28"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 06:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
Switch to Saunders NPV and your troubles will go away.
+1
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Wolf1007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
Can anyone confirm using the Saunders with the double dog over wraps? Thanks!

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 09:26:00 PM »
Platinum had a bad batch a few years ago. I had several issues with any shaft material I tried. There was a post on *********** about lot numbers on the tube. They had contacted fletch tite and they told them what lot numbers were bad. That was an expensive couple of tubes. It caused me to switch to loctite gel and NPV.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 08:56:00 AM »
What Cacciatore said. What has changed? Never had a problem. Fletch tite platinum with one stringer wraps. I have had the same batch of wraps when i bought a bunch of them several years ago.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Wolf1007:
Can anyone confirm using the Saunders with the double dog over wraps? Thanks!
Confirmed.  It's all I use now.   I was a Fletchtite Platinum user from the time it came out.  I always had great luck with it until one year while on an elk hunt in Colorado literally every one of my fletching on every arrow fell off. Luckily I had a tube of super glue in my repair kit and was able to limp them through the hunt but I vowed never again.   After switching to Saunders NPV I'll never go back.

Offline dennis502

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
Confirmed x2. I used Platinum for years on my Onestringer wraps (with the clear Double Dog overwrap) and had a problem with a batch of arrows 2 years ago. I switched to Saunders NPV and have been very happy. No problems.

I also like the way NPV goes on the quill- for me it's a smoother, more consistent flow that with the Platinum....

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »
Never been a fan of the Platinum. IMHO when they replaced the original formula Fletch-Tite with it years ago it was a step backwards. Went to tape with Onestringer wraps and never turned back.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wolf1007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 06:46:00 AM »
Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback! I'll go with the Saunders from now on.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
Never have/had any issues with Platinum myself.  I always clean with acetone and not alcohol so that may be the reason.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2016, 09:53:00 AM »
Like others have posted, I used Platinum on Onestringer wraps for years without the slightest issue, then all of a sudden I had an issue.

NPV will work but in all honesty I went with Onestringers recommendation with the super glue gel and it is the way to go IMO.  If you keep your eyes open it can be had for as little as 3-4 bucks at the right place, and one bottle will easily do a couple dozen + arrows.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2016, 10:46:00 AM »
I've never had problems with the fletch tite,but with all the good talk about NPV I did order some.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
I cheat a little. I buy the OneStringer wraps plain and crest them with Bohning paints or lately water based paints. I wait over nite then use a foam brush and apply a coat of waterbased Polycrylic over the whole wrap. Besides a little protection for my cresting it seals the edges of the wrap. That and NPV glue until something better comes along.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »
Like many on here I had adhesion problems with Fletchtite Platinum after having used original Fletchtite for years and moved on to other options. Today, I was looking at a tube of Platinum and noticed it included aluminum where at one point aluminum was struck from the label. It also had added this was an improved formulation for use on smooth surfaces.

I went to Bohning's website expecting to see a noticed about the improved formula that might erase the bad reputation the old had created but found none. Searching further I finally found an archery company's website in the UK, of all places, with an explanation of the changes, effective date, and lot numbers for the change to the new formulation.

www.merlinarchery.co.uk/bohning-fletch-tite-platinum.htlm

This may explain the mixed reviews and success or lack of with this product on this thread. Also wonder why Bohning has not done more over here to announce the improved formula - 3 River's website stil says Platinum is not recommended for aluminum!

No wonder there is still so much confusion with this product.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2016, 09:14:00 PM »
Had an error on the link.Hope this works:

www.merlinarchery.co.uk/bohning-fletch-tite-platinum.htlm

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
Sorry to make a mess of this but the Merlin Archery website comments for Platinum were they had started shipping the new formulation on May 22, 2014 and lot codes with 1st four digits below 3140 or with  a traditional date were for the old formulation. It was suggested that fletching be done in low humidity or an air conditioned environment so that may still be an issue for some.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2016, 10:26:00 PM »
The last tube I got at Christmas. It came form a large supply house so I am sure it was fresh. I used it to fletch vanes and feathers over wraps. So for so good but my glue of choice is NPV as I am moving away from Laq. for wood arrows. It is easier to keep only one brand on hand.

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2016, 02:31:00 PM »
had trouble on bare aluminum also.....went to lock tite superglue gel.......have not lost a feather since.....  :thumbsup:
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2016, 07:52:00 PM »
When I use any vinyl wrap I always use fletch-tite platinum.  It bonds wonderfully with wraps.  

However, because I'm impatient, I've recently switched to using cyan-acrylic super glues and an accelerator application.  The glue literally sets on contact...I let a bit of the glue adsorb into the quill, then apply.  Instant set, no white residue leftover, and the feather will not come off.  I can fletch a dozen arrows with them ready to shoot under half an hour using a single bitz jig.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »
Like onestringer says on website. I used loc-tite superglue gel without any problems.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©