3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Waterproofing a tent?  (Read 472 times)

Offline jfish

• Trad Bowhunter
Waterproofing a tent?
« on: October 21, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
I have a canvas military tent and need some suggestions on waterproofing the seams.  I have sprayed the tent with a linseed oil wax base waterproofing and would now like to treat the seams.  Really don't want to use any silcone based sealants and was thinking along the lines of bees wax?  Can't seem to find bees wax anywhere.  Any thoughts on Surfboard wax?  Not sure what board wax is made of just yet but its waterproof, remains pretty soft, and I don't think it would hurt the canvas?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  
JIM

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Waterproofing a tent?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
What about that 3M Spray On Stuff...... cant think of its name at the moment. Dang it!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline vermontrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
Jim, I do believe that that canvas fabric will swell up when wet and will do a fine job keeping the water out, even at the seams, just don't touch the inside of the fabric in a storm or you will cause it to leak through. However, if you really want to treat them something waxy would do.
"Only a fool lean upon his own misunderstanding" -B.Marley

Offline groundhawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 12:47:00 AM »
ive had real good luck the last 20 years with thompsons water seal on my canvas tents. if you were at the first comptons shoot and remember the torrential rain. i stayed dry..........

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 07:27:00 AM »
The linseed/wax treatment you already gave it should work on the seams as well.
 Be careful with open flames inside the tent.
There sure is alot of air around a squirrel...eeyup.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »
Where's Otto when you need him? He can make a canvas tent last 50 years!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »
I agree with Groundhawg,, Pour Thompsons in a buck or tub depending on the size of your tent and then dunk your tent in there with it. Make sure that it is soaked real well and then take the tent out and set it up and let it dry out. Leave it up for a bit to air out or else you'll see little green men setting on telephone wires.

Offline jfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Ended up spraying it with olympic water sealer (less smell) and rubbing the seals with Sno-Seal which is made of bees wax.  If its like anything else it won't rain the rest of the season now,  but thats ok...

Thanks  jim

Offline trapperzeke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
I tried the Thompsons and brushed it on liberally onto 3 canvas tarps to use as trail tarps.  The one that got too much still stinks to this day (4 years later), and the one that didn't get enough leaked.  The one in the middle was just right though!

I haven't had to treat my canvas (sunforger) tent yet, but I believe the manufacturer recommended a product called Canvex? Canvak? or something like that.  Not sure what it's made of?

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
Okay...I'll weigh in.

Tom isn't lying either.  Not that I'm that good at taking care of a canvas tent, just too cheap to buy a new one.

Seriously though.  My first canvas tent lasted 33 years.  My pop bought it when I was a Boy Scout in 1972.  I JUST retired that ole tent 2 years ago.  I use Canvak waterproofing teatment but I believe that any other other brands will do.  All of them just use an evaporating solvent to carry a paraffin based sealer.  I like to use a garden sprayer as it lets you reach the top of the tent and the seams high up near the ridgeline.  Set up your tent.  Use a broom or brush to knock off any dirt from the top and sides.  Any dirty areas can be spot cleaned with a brush and mild detergent.  Make sure that any area's that you spot clean get thoroughly dry before you waterproof it.  My canvas tent is 9 x 12.  The very first time I spray it I use about 2 gallons of waterproof.  After the initial treatment, I hit it once a year and use a single gallon.  Just spray it on liberally.  Don't be afraid to really hit the seams.  If the stuff is running off then you are using enough.  If it's not running off, hit it again till it is.  The main thing is now to let it dry.  I like to leave mine set up overnight and not take it down till the heat of the next day when I know it's dry.  Moisture is what kills a canvas tent.  Keep em dry and they'll last 30 years.  Then you can listen to all your friends tell you how cheap you are.
Otto

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©