3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoulder surgery tomorrow  (Read 555 times)

Offline Terry Johnston

• Trad Bowhunter
Shoulder surgery tomorrow
« on: May 02, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »
After battling pain in my string shoulder for the last few months, a MRI and several visits to the orthopedic clinic I have decided on getting scoped.The Doctor is unsure exactly the exact problem, buts says he will scope it, find the problem, and fix it..He thinks it could be a labrum tear.The funny thing is I can do most anything EXCEPT shoot my traditional bows. Im sure most folks on here understand when I say thats just not acceptable.My goal is to be ready for opening day October 1st. Anyone have a labrum or rotator cuff tear and if so how long before you were shooting again?

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoulder surgery tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
Hey Terry.....good luck buddy!  I've had both of my shoulders cleaned out due to an impingement.  They removed the bursitis sack, shaved off a few bone spurs and sealed me up.  I didn't have any tears so I'm sure you're in a bit deeper.  All I can say is ICE and physical therapy.  Go easy in the beginning and make sure you do the stretches as the healing process begins.  You should be good to go by October!  I will tell you the drawing arm is usually ready to go before the bow arm.  When i had my bow arm done it took me another month of rehab to get my strength back.   Another words pulling comes back before holding.

Again...good luck!

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »
Good luck, and hope you have a full and complete recovery!

Bisch

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »
Good luck!!!

Offline UMLarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 09:51:00 PM »
I had the same surgery back in 2008. The docs thought it was a labrum tear but it ended up being a partial dislocation. My shoulder had started to pop out but caught itself and had stayed that way for several months. They cleaned up some bone spurs and popped it back in. I don't remember exactly how long my recovery took, but I was definitely shooting again (with a 40# instead of my usual 50#) before the end of that year. Just stick with the stretches and PT!

Best of luck!
Keep Calm & Carry On

Online awry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
Good Luck to Ya!

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 11:03:00 PM »
I had a complete rotor cuff and a slap lumbar repair on Feb.26. I was not allowed to use my shoulder for 6 weeks, to give it time to heal. I am at week 9 now after my surgery. I have been  shooting my 51# recurve for the past week after starting out with a 35# bow on week 7. I am right handed and it was my right shoulder that was repaired. I have a spring bear hunt in 3 weeks and will be ready. My shoulder is not back to 100% yet nor am I able to shoot my normal bow weight, but I should be fine. Just follow your doctors orders and the PT and you will be fine. Good Luck.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 06:47:00 AM »
Good luck. I had shoulder surgery Feb 3rd this year. Torn rotator cuff and bone spur. Do exactly as the doctor and PT folks tell you, and no more than that. My doctor told me no bows till 4 to 6 months.

Greg that sounds a little too soon to me. Hope things work out for you.

Online Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 06:53:00 AM »
Good luck
Keep em Sharp!

Offline Terry Johnston

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 03:04:00 PM »
thanks guys, i had a bone spur and whats call a "slap tear". I think thats a tear where the bicep tendon attaches to the labrum. guess i will be confined to just the trad gang for a while.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »
but you'll be good before long!

Offline nipperlud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
I had rotator done end of January and I should be good by end of May. I had major tear. good luck
cl

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 05:38:00 PM »
Best of luck......heal quickly and get back in the game.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »
Good luck! I had this same surgery in February. The Labrum was torn but not the rotator cuff. It went very well. I was shooting a lightweight bow in three weeks and my regular hunting bows in five weeks. Be sure to do the stretching and other exercises given to you by the therapist - it really helps. I still have a little soreness but nothing significant, but I don't take too many chances. When soreness pops up, I lay off a couple of days. You will be all right, just keep working at a pace that fits your progress.
Sam

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 06:36:00 PM »
Im going in next month for bone spur on left shoulder, dr is not sure if there's more than the spur...I hope not.

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
Good luck
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 06:09:00 AM »
A series of surfing and skateboarding accidents led to a torn labrum and some other work done in my right shoulder. I spent 3 weeks not using it, then another 6 in PT. I could not shoot a bow for probably another  1-2 months.   Do your PT. and slowly and carefully work back into it.

Best of luck!  You will be shooting again in no time!

Msturm
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 08:50:00 AM »
Do the recommended PT or you'll be worse off than before. The PT keeps scar tissue from building up, in addition to getting your strength back.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Terry Johnston

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
thanks guys for all the advice. pt is a no brainer for me, dont want to hamper my recovery, sounds like pt is the key

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 06:47:00 AM »
Wd will be prayin for your speedy recovery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©