3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Terry Green's "Little Woodie" & Too Short  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Terry Green's "Little Woodie" & Too Short
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »
Thank goodness for Babel Fish...though you still need to translate the translation! I love the pregnant mantis pic! A most enjoyable thread all around!

Killdeer  :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
Keep it comming!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
Yeah yeah, keep it coming!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
Just spent five days with Jim Hamm, hunting.  He's way funnier than Bob.  He made NO sheep jokes, either!

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Adam Mooney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
That Mantis is Awesome. One of the most amayzing insects ever. Ive been looking for a perfect picture of one for a tattoo. That is almost perfect. Thank you for sharing
Adam

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
Oh boy, this is it!  Leaving for the high country.  I am in the front seat taking in all the desert scenery.  He didn’t want me to miss any sights like this he photographed last year.

It’s a 19 hour drive, leaving Bend, then Burns, then Boise.  Its great to reach Idaho…75MPH, instead of that slow, slow 55 than Orygun insist is so safe.

Yo Bob!…remember to buy your elk tag in Rangley before you head to camp.  But he won’t, he is so stoooooopid, have I told you that?  Being fixated on shooting a big mule deer at the expense of passing up a nice bull.  

But he won’t gracefully accept the fact that we can no longer hunt the “good” side of the road…darn oil companies with their profits in the gazillions each quarter…afraid, so they say, some one is going to get hurt and then sue them. After all these years, what BS.

There are some nice bucks on this side of the road but it’s a much harder situation for spot and stalk.  But he is so stubborn , no elk hunting until a buck is hanging in camp.  Guess what, last time he did this he went into town mid-week and bought an elk tag. HAH!  Like lots of things, it is always a bit different when you are sitting on the sofa instead of actually doing it!

At last, cow camp!  Brother Bill and Gary are there ahead of us, they had been “on top” and things are so different.  Since last year the oil companies had put in three more platforms and improved the dirt road so much they put in a Slow Down sign !  Incredible!  Who would have ever thought of such craziness!

I know the elk will eventually accept all the changes but I am not sure about Bob.  This  place has been his refuge for…30 years, boy he is getting older.  Jim and Bev, the owners have had no choice to accept all the changes, but it’s taken a bit from them as well.  Life changes, so suck it up and make it work.

We have been hunting for three days, lots of elk but numb-nuts is mostly ignoring them.  Up early and glass the big pockets.  The bucks we find just bed down in the scrub oak or service brush….impossible to stalk.  If you can’t see them when they stand up then what’s the point?

Gary went into town today so Bob agreed to call for Bill.  Every year they have to go in the Double Gate pocket which always holds elk and better than average bulls.  Lots of excitement but never any shooting…just too thick.  Seems to be impossible to entice a bull to come out of that  cover, but the idiots try anyway.

At the bottom of the pocket, Bill decides to hunt up to the next pocket and Bob goes back to the truck and drives up to meet him.  Bob sees a dandy track next to the fence line and decides to try his trail cam there.

He sees his brother crest the top of the pocket and knows he too will follow the fence line down.  

REVENGE is planned and years of being the younger tormented sibling are about to equalized.  Bob slips on his gillie suit, grabs his camo seat and sits in front of a bush on the truck side of the fence.  Bill follows the fence line trail, sees the camera, poses for his photo with the famous three fingered salute…what smart ass can pass up a photo opp like that.  Hey ! this gillie suit really works!!  Here we are out in the open with only the brush in back of us and we are invisible.  Bill, now less than 15 feet ways, tosses his bow over the barbwire fence, presses both hands down over the top strand, slowly lifts his leg, and straddles the fence. He got to see us…nope, no such luck for him.  Oh boy we got him now!  Bob tenses but realizes that he could cripple his prey so far beyond repair that Vigara would be useless.  

Bill gingerly finishes his straddle, picks up his bow…Bob leaps, Bill screams like a girl minus about 5 years of his life, and beats feet towards the truck.  Bob notes that as the Kligons say, “revenge is best served cold”.  But hey, that gillie suit really works…at least on that old fart!  Howsabout on deer at the small water tank?

Early that afternoon we are sitting with our back up against a quakie aspen putting the gillie suit to the ultimate test.

First these guys wander in…

And then this silly one with the funny ears and the pointing down brow tine…

]
A bunch of these…

Judging from all the racket, the guy who really runs the show ought to be showing up pretty soon.

He sounds really HUGE!
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
Adam,

How is this one?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
Sorry...a few computer problems...its coming.

Bob

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
This is fabulous. Carry on!  :notworthy:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
We see a mess of cows first then hear him “glunking”…bingo…there he is…hooking cows on his way down.  Elk love is sure not Disneyland.  There are maybe a dozen cows now scattered around the tank and on our side of the hill.  Amazingly enough, not one has drifted down enough to pick up Bob’s scent stream.  All those eyes and no one sees us!  They don’t even look through us…we were, simply enough, not there.

He’s not as big as he sounds, but plenty good enough for us.  The bull waters and then he’s 25 yards broadside….come on Bob, turn me loose!  Then he’s 20 yards gently quartering away…he is focused on a cow.  Now’s my chance! Do it!  Draw the bow you idiot…then the terrible truth smacked  me like an 1200 grain Martha Stewart taking out a squearll…the tightwad didn’t buy an elk tag.  Mighta interfered with his buck hunting.  I shoulda never, ever left sweet, sweet Gawgia….thanks Terry!

We stayed past the last scintilla of light hoping for a deer…any deer to show up but it was an elk day from start to finish.

It was a long slug out of the draw and that cheap SOB was sure dragging his butt by the time we got back to the truck.  Oh boy, I couldn’t wait to see what kind of lies he would have to tell the boys back at the cabin.

I noticed they have a bit of a strange ceremony, no real talking until everyone has settled down a bit.  Bob put an extra touch or three of Jose Curveo in his glass and then it started…”whatcha see”.  While out and out lying is not permitted its up to the questioner to ask the right questions, vague questions breed similar responses.  Bill, perhaps still recovering from his shell shock was pretty quite and Gary is just too young to pin down the old geezer.  No true confessions tonight but this isn’t Las Vegas and the truth always, sooner or later, comes out at cow camp.

Six o’clock  the next morning finds the Tundra eating up the pavement on the way to Rifle and we are back at the tank by 10:00, elk tag in hand.  Its very quiet, nature seems stiff and awkward and once again we grunt our way back to the truck in the dark…no deer and no elk.  What happened?

True and pittifull confessions tonight…it was worse than a Jerry Springer show.  Bob hung his head in shame and told the guys all the doins at the tank.  To really pile it on he showed them the pictures of the bull. Bill pointed out that he had seen a truck parked above the water tank probably about the time we hit the pavement on the way to town.  What a miserable excuse for a hunter!

To break the gloom he pulled me out of the quiver, stropped my edges and spruced up my feathers.  At least we can get serious now about the elk hunting.

Once again we are starting to run out of time…the hunting is taking on a sense of urgency that always happens when you start to calculate the timeline.  The tempo increases.  Good thing the elk are talking, we can find them but shot opportunities are just not blending together.

Bob is not really a tree stand kind of guy.  He has tried them but he has little patience and he considers three hours on a stand pretty close to a life sentence.  Earlier in the week he put a stand on the edge of a bowl as he had seen two bucks bedded there.

We climb into the stand and immediately see two does.  Hey this might work! Down below three bulls are bugling at each other.  Bob tries to ignore them but is unsuccessful; he gives off a few plaintive cow calls.  He will go after them in the morning when the wind is steady.

Forty minutes later here comes a little forked horn buck.  The bulls have moved away but are still in “hearing distance”.  This time he throws in a few whiney “I am in estrous, big boys”.

Half hour later, here comes a shooter buck running at a good pace.  No shot.  Don’t  know what that’s all about.  Twenty minutes till dark, windy but not too cold, spittin some rain and dark clouds coming fast in our direction.  Bulls have circled back around and they are in the same spot as when we arrived.  A few more here I am Big Boys calls.  Time to pick up Bill.

Hey wait!  There is a nice six  point bull down about 200 yards, that just stepped out of the quakies and is looking uphill at us.  Customer?  A few more calls and he is sauntering up in our direction.  Fifteen minutes till dark…if he makes it up here, will he get here before its too dark?

He’s in no hurry, a few more BB calls over the shoulder speeds him up.  He’s coming!  Hangs up at 35 yards, looking things over…wondering where those cows are…now he is paralleling the hillside, Bob squeaks out a soft cow call, he turns, UP he comes!  Now he is on the trail, feeding right under us…chomp, chomp, coulda jumped on his back.  Another couple of yards down the trail and it will be a 10-12 yards shot, oh no, the wind starts to falter, Bob gives him a mouse squeak, he stops mostly broadside and I am OFF!  Glory be !  Right lung, left lung, out the other side.  I hang on as he plunges violently downhill, but no use, he busts the shaft and I am thrown into the brush.

Each leap takes him ten or fifteen yards down the hill but I can see him developing the hospital wobble, and I hear him crash to his final resting place.

Its dark now, the brothers have walked over me on their way down to the bull.  They found him without any trouble, quartered and hung him in the trees, they will take him out in the morning.  Its coal black and raining pretty good now; they will find me in the morning.

It rained hard last night and all this morning.  Thanks to Jim and his son, Neal and their four wheelers it was a quick but potentially dangerous drive up the hillside to the truck.

Bob looked for me for quite a while only finding the fletching end.  For some reason he can’t hear me calling out to him.  He promised he would take me blacktail hunting with Faith, the Tradgangers St. Jude auction bow for 2008.

The weather is clearing up and its going to be cold tonight.

Bob came back the next morning and looked for me again.  But now he is searching too far down the hill.  I think I am staying here for quite some time.

I wonder if in the future another bow hunter will find me and think about how I got here and what my owner was like….I know that Bob does that and he has a special place in his heart for everyone of us he finds.

It’s snowing now…

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
Let me know if you enjoyed it.

Perhaps one for blacktails?

Killy, good observation on the PM.  "Gravid with possibilities" comes to me from a college professor.

Bob

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
Enjoy It? That was a great way to tell a story Bob, it's too bad "Little Woodie" won't be with you anymore after doing such a fine job, even if he did whine a little bit at times......   :bigsmyl:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
One of the best I have read on this site. Very nice! and Congrats on a fine bull!! Thanks!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2007, 07:11:00 AM »
Little Woodie, I would take good care of you and also direct some thoughts to your former - unknown to me "launch assistent" - if I should ever step on you or some out of your fellowship! That's just a question of honor - so there actually is NO real question at all, right?!  :readit:
Thanks for your great telling the story and I wish you some nice and fluffy leaves ontop - so you don't have to chiver to much during the cold ...  :campfire:  Falk

Offline Wulomac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2007, 07:34:00 AM »
Great  adventure and very well told!  Thanks!
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.  GEN-21:20

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
brilliant
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Glenn Carl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
Great way to tell a story, enjoyed every bit of it. Congrats on a fine bull.
"This is cool"  My 7 year old son Ian after shooting his new youth bow built from Elk Ninja's build-along

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
What a story!

For all you elk lovin' hunters,...... If you haven't read this, you're missin' out!

Great read, and congrats!

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2008, 01:10:00 AM »
Awesome, Thanks!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
I never did get to read the last post, which had me a little weepy for the long, lonely chill that would claim the bones of our valient hero. I had to go to the mountains and hunt for a few weeks.

That is a story wonderfully told,and the pictures are outstanding. Thank you so much for the telling, and thanks, Todd, for reviving it. gave a bit of flavor to this morning's coffee. Hunting season is just around the corner, right?

Killdeer  :archer:    :coffee:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©