3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toelke Super D: getting the bug!  (Read 1235 times)

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Toelke Super D: getting the bug!
« on: May 04, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »
Alright guys, I am starting to get the bug..

I have been a long time recurve shooter, shot a thunderchild for a short time, and now really like my TT Stickflinger. Recently though, I have really been eyeing the D or "Hill" style one piece bows...
Something about the simplicity of it!

In particular, I am leaning towards the 62" Toelke Super D after all that I have read on them. I draw 27" and am usually used to something shorter than this so I think this would be the ticket, especially being that I primarily hunt from a treestand.

I also want to get back to making wooden arrows again as it has been about 10 years since I have made any, so I may be asking some of you about that as well!

I would love to hear from all of you that have been down this path from a bowhunting perspective, as well gather some more information on the Super D. And as always I would love to see some pictures!! Lets see some Super D's with woodys!

Online TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toelke Super D: getting the bug!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 08:58:00 AM »
I got the bug last yeat and rnded up with a 66". After shooting that i wouldnt go shorter do smooth! And i only have 26 inch draw. Mines 55@28. Love it
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
I draw 29" and own both 64" and 66" Super Ds. Both lengths for me are very smooth-drawing. I would talk to Dan about bow length for you, he will know far better than anyone. The Super D is more than smooth, it is very quick and "quieter than quiet" with near zero hand shock. Dan flawlessly crafts a beautiful bow from beautiful woods. I like mine better than any bow I've ever shot.

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 09:53:00 AM »
Thanks Guys!

keep it coming and lets see some of these.

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 10:11:00 AM »
Another option you might consider is a Northern Mist Baraga. Similar characteristics to Super D but a bit smoother and faster with a heavier arrow. Just a thought.

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 10:31:00 AM »
Thanks Vesty,

I have been looking at the Baraga as well, however i think i will like the smaller/slimmer grip on the Toelke.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »
I just got a new to me Super "D". It's the second one I have had and this one is a 2 piece. Nice bows and fit and finish in excellent. The Baraga was mentioned also.......another fine bow. Mine has what Steve calls the RW grip and it very comfortable, not as big as you would think. Grip size on both bows is very close.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 11:18:00 AM »
Thanks Ron, do you have any pictures of yours?

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 11:24:00 AM »
I had a very nice Super-D, 40#@ 28 and 64 inches.  Sold it as I moved up in weight, but it was a joy to shoot.  Shucks, I think I sold it to Ron.
Jim

Offline Possumjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »
I had one I target shot woth. I love the grip on them.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 12:40:00 PM »
I'll try to get a photo on here.......Yea, I bought the 40# from GreyGoose and then like a fool sold it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
Ken Thornhill

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »
That's a Beauty!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 01:37:00 PM »
Thank's Ken for posting the photo. Yep, she is pretty nice, 66" 2 pc T/D, about 47# @ 29", pretty smooth and not real fussy with spine. I can take it apart and slide it into my quiver...lol.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 01:58:00 PM »
That is a nice one Ron!  Glad you were able to get some arrows through it.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
Catlin. No pics of my Baraga but Steve will give you a handle and grip according to your desires. Mine is perfect. When I pick it up, it settles into my hand if that makes sense.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 03:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by kat:

:biglaugh:   I just sold that to Ron! Yup let the bug bite! They are great great bows!

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
I will definitely look at Northern Mist, but for whatever reason have my heart set on a Toelke!

I just love the slim lines.. and have heard nothing but great things on how quite and dead in the had they are for a D bow, but am sure the Baraga shoots well too.

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 04:31:00 PM »
If you are looking for something smooth and want to stick to that 62" length, the Robertson overdrive longbows function about the same as his regular longbows and bend to a 'D', but with more speed.  There are a couple of nice ones on his bows in stock list.  He offers a try before you buy.  I am really glad that there are no left handers in the over drive model on his in stock list, I know what happens when 'try before I buy'.  Although that 62" Pierce Point standard model is a great and deadly bow, explaining to the wife that there was no way in hell that I was going to send that bow back was difficult.  I am afraid if I got my hands on one that shot as fast as a fast recurve and as stable as a mild r/d, it would never leave.
  However, with the Toelke at your draw and with the standard Robertson at your draw, you may prefer the 64".  I draw under 27" with mine, actually 26" left hand and 26&1/4" right hand so the 62" for the regular models work nice.   Toelkes are great, but another to consider is the Mohawk.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 06:18:00 PM »
To say that I love my Super D would be a huge understatement.  I have a short draw, about 26" and the 62" is a great fit for me whether I'm in a tree or on the ground.  You can talk to Dan, but a 62"er will not stack at your draw.

The first Super D I had was from Jim Wright.  He dropped it off one morning (said to shoot it a few days and send the money later if I wanted it) along with 3 wooden arrows that he said might shoot well through it.  Long story short is I went to the local archery range for lunch and broke 2 of the three arrows within 15 minutes at 20 yards.  Needless to say I told him the money was on the way.  It was a little light at my draw, so I ordered one to my specs a couple of weeks later and was planning to use Jim's bow as a 3-d bow and backup.

As I remember, Jim called a few weeks later with a case of "sellers" remorse and I sent the bow back to him.  I will never get rid of my current Super D bow, but I sure am eyeing a two piece as a backup.

Fair price, short turnaround and you will not find a better person to deal with.

BTW, all Toelkes I have shot love heavy arrows, especially wooden ones!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©