3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Archers pocket knife  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Bill from NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Archers pocket knife
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »
Just my 2 cents of advice.  Your milage may vary.

I have carried a Swiss Army SwissChamp for over 35 years.

For me, if it works well.
Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »
Since wenger and victorinox merged they don't make the exact model I've carried since I was a younger version....which gives me the chills when I think about replacement time.
I use and love the wenger handyman.
Not too big but has about everything I need.
The little scissors come in so handy.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Black Hills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2016, 01:06:00 PM »
Swiss Army Huntsman for me...  Been with me everywhere, on my hip in a pouch for over twenty years now.

I carry a little Gerber model 500 lock-blade folder in my pocket as well, but if I could only carry one of them, it would be the huntsman.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2016, 02:42:00 PM »
Man those swiss army knives look clean - I have tried a ton and the swiss is more universal for me.

Fun Fact - most did not know that the outside of the Swiss Army knives can start a fire - just give the corner a touch of a flame and watch. You could light a 6" soaking wet log with just one side of one. (the old red ones anyway)
Won't look the same after you try it but it's pretty neat

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2016, 03:14:00 PM »
I'll have to agree......a Swiss Army knife is very handy. I have a Swiss Hunter and a smaller one, the scissors are a handy thing to have. I had an Officers Model but I don't think they make it anymore.......my daughter lost it on a Girl Scout camping trip.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
I carry a leatherman juice s2 everyday no matter if I'm at work or a backpack hunt. I also carry either a Puma or Mora fixed blade for hunting.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
As far as my everyday choice for a POCKET knife... another Swiss Army (Victorinox, please) fan. For about 45 years.

Many choices to suit one's taste; I don't go for the big tool kit models, but a comfortable size for the hand, and pocket, with a few very useful accessories. Good steel, good size, and highly functional.

As an aside, anyone ever replace the plastic scales with wood?

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2016, 06:56:00 PM »
I'm a little old fashioned.  Skinned and deboned several white tails with the old Barlow.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2016, 07:10:00 PM »
The AFCK was designed by former Navy SEAL Chris Caracci in collaboration with Benchmade.

I bought one of the minis back in the early 90's. It is hands down the best edc knife I've ever owned.
N/A

Offline J.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
I've been carrying a Hen & Rooster for probably ten years now. Just a simple two blade pocket knife, but it gets the job done on everyday tasks.
Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2016, 08:51:00 PM »
All I need for a pocket knife is a Case Trapper. Field dresses a deer just fine.

Offline huronhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »
My every day knife is a medium Case Stockman .

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2016, 07:27:00 AM »
Case trapper. Love them.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2016, 07:37:00 AM »
My everyday pocket knife is a small ,flat Gerber lock blade.  It is very comfortable to carry and keeps a pretty good edge.  

If I hit the bush, hunting camp or going shooting I carry my old original Leatherman also.

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »
Not long ago I got a locking folder designed by Zac Brown (yes, the country singer) and built by his knife company Southern Grind. Now my 'go to', every day carry.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »
I guess I'd have to say the same one that's in my pocket everyday, my 3 blade Old Timer. Skinned and gutted hogs, deer, squirrels, rabbits, cleaned fish, stripped wires, cut string & rope, scraped paint, pretty much whatever I needed it to do.

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2016, 01:18:00 PM »
I've carried a multi tool in my pack hunting and backpacking for over 25 years.  I've use it less than 5 times other than to lift pots off the fire (and you don't really need it for that). I'm not coordinated to enough to use the knife blade as they are not very ergonomic.

What I like is a trapper style knife. I have been using one since I was about 10 to skin what I caught trapping. I have them by Case and Buck.  They both work well, stay sharp, have been very durable and are comfortable to work with.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2016, 08:22:00 PM »
My pocket knife is a Swiss Army Camper model.  I have three or four of them and usually know where at least one is at any given time.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2016, 09:12:00 PM »
Victorinox Walker/Lumberjack, simple- one nice sharp blade and a saw.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2016, 11:48:00 PM »
Case XX. Either a trapper, mini trapper, Sodbuster Jr. or Stockman.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©