3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Last dance, last chance: End of the year Longbeard  (Read 816 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Last dance, last chance: End of the year Longbeard
« on: May 05, 2016, 06:57:00 PM »
Last day to hunt in the southern part of IL for turkeys. Yesterday I had just enough time for a flydown hunt before work and had 4 birds skirt my decoys, more interested in each other than the two lovely ladies sitting 8 yards from a guy in a ghilli that was doing his best to tell them he loved them and that any/all were welcome.

Last night I roosted a solo bird so close to my barn I was afraid I'd spook him. I let the 4 horsemen alone as they were on the backside of the farm and no doubt interested in themselves. Wouldn't you know roosted ain't roasted (again) and that for sure bird flew away on the next ridge gobbling like there was a party to go to leaving me and Sally (my Avian X honey) alone.

Funny thing though: that bird stood in the neighbors field and gobbled his head off. I covered half the distance with Sally and plotted her down hoping he'd change his mind about her. I ducked into the honeysuckle with my Ghilli, a sharp Tuffhead, and my Thunderchild Pearl. Hey everybody gets a name...

He kept his distance at 100 yards and tried all he could to call her to him. She kept telling him she was busy but the bugger was persistent! After 15 minutes a strange thing happened: a chorus of gobbles sounded from the Four-Horsemen's side of the farm. They wanted to either gut-stomp the crooner or visit Sally. I was hoping for the latter...
Mike Davenport

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Last dance, last chance: End of the year Longbeard
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
:campfire:
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »
:campfire:  X2!!!
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 08:03:00 PM »
Love this stuff!  You are a turkey master that just won't take no for an answer!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 08:20:00 PM »
Ahhhhh man!!  :campfire:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 09:27:00 PM »
:campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 09:42:00 PM »
Sorry fellas...jiujitsu, my other love needed me   :)  

So the 4 Horsemen were missing one, but he is coming. The 3 Trumpeteers made their way to the tom that would not come. The problem for them was Sally and I were right in their way. I have a cool little road my bro Sheltoncreeker built me to ease back on. They used it to get to him and that is when they saw Sally, that girl.

Soon as they made eyes, they waltzed in, lead bird strutting, other birds backing him up should he need help. As they got to her I noticed panic in her eyes and decided to throw a flag on the play and end this. I eased my draw back and got to anchor just as the strutter attempted to mount. The arrow was away and...nothing. Over the top of him at 12 yards. The birds jostled and started away, at 50 yards I cut hard on my mouth call and stopped them flat. The strutter turned an eye towards Sally and couldn't take it. She had thwarted his advance but he was fired up. A loud triple gobble to a soft purr from me and he was back in my red zone again.

By this time I had another arrow out of my quiver and on the string. As he sauntered for another go at the deke, a 600 grain arrow took him mid-ship. He raised wings and ran, arrow still in and scattered his compadres. I lost track of him in the sea of green and started praising the Man Upstairs. I heard wing beats close and knew it was over for him, even though I couldn't see him...I was the pale horse, and death.
Mike Davenport

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 09:53:00 PM »
Congats Mike I know you were going to get one soon.Love your description of the kill.Kip

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 10:05:00 PM »
Way to go, Mike!

I still have not gotten one hunt in his spring! Only have 10 days left in the season.

Congrats,

Bisch

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 10:40:00 PM »
I gave him 30 minutes just in case and just sat there looking at my farm. My neighbors ridges overlooking my thicket and the cow pasture of the other neighbor in sight, I just soaked it up. This will be my last hunt before some major surgery in a couple weeks and unfortunately, a long spell on IR. It was enough for me to just let my mind drift to the place that us bowhunters allow ourselves to go when all is right in the world. That look that Andy Duphrene had in "Shawshank Redemption" when he locked the wardens door and let the opera play. Before long my self imposed wait time was up and I started to unravel the flight.

I have often thought of a string tracker like Bisch, Curt and Jerry Russel use and own one of Chad Orde's fine leather versions. I have needed one a time of two, this being one of those, as the woods floor was a tangle of nettles, may apples, and poison oak. Gonna use that thing next time. I knew the bird was down close but I had to do a zig zag through the green forest floor several times. I am sure there was blood there, but I missed it. I actually had a short window to hunt because of my job. I needed to relax...

After restarting I walked a straight right angle from Sally and there he was, dead as a hammer.

Mike Davenport

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 10:57:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 10:59:00 PM »
Finding the bird I did a little fist pump and thanked God for these crazy demon birds from hell that he gave us. They rock my world and make me lose sleep. They torment me and tease me. They poop on me from roosted trees and alarm put for no reason other than to remind me that they are the eyes and I am not.

This one was a 2 year old, 1 inch hooks and a long beard. His chest was rubbed some so he got to pass on some turkey genes. My arrow was where it needed to be, shoved in the opposite wing. I pulled out my Meathead, but it took some work.

*Longbeard

So I hustled up and took a pic or two and set sail for my house. After tagging, I had just enough time to get the legs and thighs out for the recipe Sunday of Turkey Leg Carnitas, and breasts for Hunter Schitzel that I love to make for my family. It will feed us at least 5 meals...that my friends is the best part!

*TC and pretty bird: Big Jim Thunderchild 50 at 30", Bemen 340, 31", 300 grains of Tuffhead, 600 grains total missile wt

So that is my tale! Last day miracle and something to cling to in some rougher waters that are coming. I love these dang birds. Good luck to everyone who is still after them!
Mike Davenport

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 11:06:00 PM »
Congrats!  

I've been thinking about investing in a good ghillie suit for turkeys.  

Have you had quite a bit of luck with that method?

Obviously it worked well recently.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 11:13:00 PM »
Coach, I have killed 5 birds via Ghilli and 15 via blind. The shots are few as drawing is the problem but I have it down now. Do not draw until I see their body language change as they make contact with my dekes...also top shelf realistic decoys like Smith or Avian.

My ghilli is a store bought job, light weight, made by bush rag. I killed a nice deer or two in them too. Good luck!!!
Mike Davenport

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 11:48:00 PM »
Awesome bird, Mike! I wish you the best of luck and will throw up a prayer for you for a qick and complete recovery from your surgery!

Bisch

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 12:08:00 AM »
Great story. Thanks for sharing!   Congrats on the bird.  Like he movie reference too!!     :thumbsup:
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 05:57:00 AM »
Mike,
  Nice bird...   :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 06:18:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »
Congrats Mike!

Best of luck with the surgery, I will be praying for you.

PS I enjoyed your write up.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 07:45:00 AM »
Nice finish my friend!  Memories to savor while you are on the sidelines for a bit, and motivation to get back to full speed as soon as possible so that you can make even more.
Congratulations!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©