3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "The Push - A Traditional Archery Film"  (Read 2866 times)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: "The Push - A Traditional Archery Film"
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2016, 11:29:00 PM »
Well done!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline buckeye-mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2016, 12:19:00 AM »
will the fixed nock point change:
 if you switch to a different spined arrow. like if you go to a 500 from a 600, or vice versa.
  if change the weight of the arrow?

very good video, thanks for putting in the time and energy.

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
Flint and Friend- thanks for the kind words!

Buckeye- Yes, any change to your arrow length, weight, etc will change the trajectory of your arrows flight. Any change in trajectory will change your impact point. But it's as simple as coming up or down the string to accommodate.

I actually just did this last night at our club. I had a slight adjustment to my arrow recipe I made getting ready for turkey hunting on Saturday. Before I hit the course in our league night I stood at 25 yards and shot from my fixed crawl nock point. I was impacting low. So I loosened the brass nock, moved it a touch up the string and reshot. I had to iterate that process once more and found my 25 yard fixed crawl for my new arrow recipe. I then quickly shot from 5/10/15/20 yards to quickly map my new trajectory which didn't change much, then hit the course and noticed no change in accuracy.

The fixed crawl distance down the string is moveable and transferable to any arrow recipe changes you want to make.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2016, 11:15:00 AM »
Great job on the video! Watched a hour and a half last night and will finish tonight. Lots of playing around to do now..
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline ProAlpine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »
I tried the fixed crawl on a couple of my bows briefly the other day. The one thing I noticed on my Blacktail take down was excessive limb noise at the shot. I stopped trying it because it seemed like it wasn't good for the bow! I also noticed a slight bit more noise on my Centaur, but not nearly as much as with the Blacktail...
Blacktail Sitka 58@30
Schafer Silvertip Longbow 60@30
Morrison Shawnee 60@30

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »
Pro - With the Blacktail, did you by chance run a higher nock point for your arrow?

You can raise the nock point 1/8 to 1/4" from where you have it set now. That will help bring your limbs back in time with each other and reduce the noise.

That's where I would start. Raise the nock point, then find your crawl down the string for the distance you want to shoot, then go for it.

I'd be interested to hear if that helps settle your blacktail down.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
Well done video - thanks.  

What kind of tab do you recommend?  I have always shot split but would like to give this a try.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »
If merely one element is absorbed and productively implemented, then I am most pleased.

Often times, one may have listened to a recommendation a hundred times, yet this one time it finally registers...
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »
MW, it's all a personal preference. I shoot 90 degree tabs as discussed in the film. The Fred Eichler is my personal favorite, but there are so many good tabs and other finger protection out there it's hard to make a recommendation. Just gotta try some out.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2016, 11:02:00 AM »
Unbelievable.

This is exactly what I have needed....I am just discovering the difference this makes and am excited past belief....

Still sorting it all out...but now I KNOW where my arrow is going to hit when I let that shot go...

This is the nicest video presentation I have seen in a LONG time...is it for sale on DVD?

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2016, 11:23:00 AM »
Russ, glad you liked it. It's liberating isn't it?!?!

This is not for sale. Free for public viewing.

Shoot straight!
Matt

Offline John Fragale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2016, 10:38:00 PM »
Matt, Great Video ! Best video i seen in a long time. I always turned my nose up at string walking. I saw Jimmy Blackmon video on string walking and said, what the heck i'll give it a try. I love string walking now. I can compete with the compound shooters now. Thanks for sharing your 25 yard crawl. I have a wf 19 also with border limbs that i'am going to set up, this season for hunting. Thanks Again !

Offline p1choco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »
I have tried to share trad archery with friends and thier enthusiasm is lacking but this might resonate with some of them who are strictly rifle guys. This method is similar to mapping bullet trajectory and creating dope charts.
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

- Calvin Coolidge

Offline bbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2016, 05:29:00 PM »
Watched it last night. Awesome video! Thank you

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2016, 09:12:00 PM »
Matt,
What an undertaking this must have been! Fantastic film, and what a great presentation on material that is often confusing.

I don't know if my personal path will intersect with your method or not, but I'd gladly share a camp with you anytime. Anyone who advocates for methods of quick and clean kills is a friend of mine!

Thank you for all the time and effort you put into this video!
Thom

Offline KodaChuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2016, 12:47:00 AM »
To your credit, you nailed it. Such a boatload of great information so thoughtfully organized, and you know how disagreeable and opinionated some folks can be about these archery matters. Great work. You should be very proud. This video will be referenced for years to come.
Palmer Recurve 64" 46# @ 30"

Offline Terry Johnston

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2016, 07:46:00 AM »
Super job....Most complete traditional video I have seen..

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2016, 11:01:00 PM »
Really enjoyed the video. I've never understood the whole split vision thing until I heard the way you described it. Turns out that's pretty much how I've shot for 23 years. Conscious of the arrow point relative to the target, but never "judged" distance. Giving the fixed crawl a try. I find it difficult to put my arrow tip smack on my point of impact. So used to holding below. Also shooting a new bow and haven't found the right arrow for it yet. Think this technique could work if I can get past consciously aiming.

Offline wcdurand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2016, 03:40:00 AM »
This is one of the best instructional's which I have ever seen. Well done. It must have taken many hours to film. I started yesterday to see if it will help my accuracy on my shots, especially those over 20yards, as up to 20yards I am actually doing very well instinctive. After an afternoon of shooting I decided that it will make a huge difference on my confidence over twenty yards.

I also have an issue with higher noise level, so I will have to work on that. I will try the higher nocking point and see if it makes a difference.

Thank you for putting it out there for us!!!

Regards Willem

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
Willem, I too am very anal about bow noise levels. Quiet kills in my opinion.

Some bows have no noticeable increase in noise level applying a fixed crawl, others take a bit of tinkering.

But typically, increasing the nocking point height and playing with string silencer position is enough to get the rig whisper quiet again.

Glad everyone is enjoying the film. It was really fun to put together!

Shoot straight!
Matt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©