3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "The Push - A Traditional Archery Film"  (Read 2864 times)

Offline bbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "The Push - A Traditional Archery Film"
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
Do you ever shoot regular 3under? Does your tab interfere with the crawl nock you placed? Hope that makes sense. Basically I want to be able to shoot the 25yd point on and if need be move up to the string for say a 40yd point on

Brandon

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2016, 06:20:00 PM »
Brandon, interestingly I use the Fred Eichler split finger tab. There is just enough space between my fixed crawl nocking point and the arrow nock for the index finger and index finger portion of my tab to fit nicely. My middle and ring finger are below the fixed crawl nock.

Some guys will use serving material in place of the fixed crawl brass nock to help lessen the effects of "shooting over" the fixed crawl.

It can be done and I've done it. No major noticeable downfalls. If you are shooting a 3 under tab, then there might be some awkward feeling bump under the tab.

I typically set up my fixed crawl close to hunting season. During hunting I don't shoot at deer over 30 yards. For all off-season shooting I dedicated string walk all my bows without the fixed crawl nock on the strings.

Hope that helps,
Matt

Offline bbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2016, 06:36:00 PM »
Cool. Thank you. I have been messing around with the fixed crawl and I think I am gonna like it. Thanks for your efforts to educate. Pretty cool video!

Online azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2016, 01:20:00 AM »
I will have to say I have several videos including a few of the masters of the bare bow DVD's and they are great but I never was intrigued enough to try anything other than shooting 3 under with a nock above and below my arrow. You made me want to at least try something new. I don't have 25 yards in my back yard to set the 25 yard fixed crawl but I played around at 20 yards and I am not sure if I will end up doing the fixed crawl looking at the arrow point or not. I played around looking at the arrow point and also just moving my tab down the string and shooting what I guess you would call instinctive. What I found was that by tying another nock point 3/4" below my bottom nock the arrow is right under my eye and just focusing on where I want to hit the target I can see down my arrow without really trying to look at the arrow and boy did I shoot great that way. I will go to the range and give the fixed crawl a try. If nothing else I will start shooting with that nock 3/4 inches below my bottom nock and shoot "instinctive" that way. Either way I have already improved my shooting. Thanks for answering my PM. I was going to have a local guy make me a custom limb bolt but after looking at the video again I am wondering if you have the contact for the machinist that made your limb bolt that you had on the Bob Lee? If so I would like to call him and have him make me a couple exactly like the one in your video.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2016, 08:14:00 AM »
Nicely done
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »
Very well done Matt and all involved...maybe an old dog can learn new tricks. Going to give it a whirl. Enjoyed the bloopers at the end good looking boys you got there, we definitely need to get more youth excited to keep our tradition alive.

Thanks,John

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
Thanks roadkill!

John, thanks for the compliments. Those boys are the apple of my eye. The other day my wife had the younger one (Jude) in the back yard pulling weeds. She lost track of him after she noticed he wasn't around helping. She caught movement down in the lower yard and Jude had ran in the house and grabbed his bow and quiver. He was in mid-stalk of a Robin and barely missed by an inch she said... Just like daddy  ;)

AZ - sent ou a PM on the limb bolt / weight.

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
Matt sounds like 10 year old granson!

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2016, 08:22:00 AM »
Matt sounds like 10 year old granson!

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2016, 08:30:00 AM »
Matt, this is really, really good stuff!

My compliments not only the considerable effort but the tremendous quality of production as well.

I returned to traditional archery last year after shooting a compound for 30 years and had heard the term "fixed crawl" but had zero idea what it was.

I can't imagine it being explained more fully or more easily understood and intend to give it a try TODAY!

Again thanks for your efforts and for sharing this with us.

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »
Thanks Basstar! Glad you enjoyed it! Let me know how the results are after giving it a whirl.

Shoot Straight,
Matt

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2016, 06:50:00 AM »
Matt, what is the tab you're using that you call your hunting tag?

The tab I'm currently using has the elastic band around my finger and I am liking the idea of the style with the finger hole in the tab.

Thanks

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2016, 08:51:00 AM »
Basstar,

That's a Fred Eichler tab from 3 rivers. I really like it.

I discuss tabs a little bit in the arrows, gloves and tabs section.

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to make your video, very well done and very informative. I am going to give the fixed crawl a try.

Rick

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2016, 06:20:00 AM »
You certainly have opened a lot of eyes to this method, nice job and well made video!

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2016, 06:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by cpnhgnlngct:
Basstar,

That's a Fred Eichler tab from 3 rivers. I really like it.

I discuss tabs a little bit in the arrows, gloves and tabs section.
Thanks again, Matt.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2016, 11:27:00 AM »
Matt. I'm new to trad, relatively speaking. Started split, then tried 3 under and then moved down like a fixed crawl although I knew nothing about that method. Thought I had hit on something revolutionary and posted on the other site, only to find out what it was and that it isn't a new shooting technique at all. Just not as publicized as the others. Those who used it advocated it wholeheartedly, but only for hunting scenarios, mainly deer. I continued shooting this way but not with a point on. My groups got a lot better. Just saw mention of your video and watched, being particularly interested in the fixed crawl segment. Your explanation convinced me to give it a try. I just got a new Bob Lee Exotic and after adjusting brace hgt., etc. worked on establishing a point on at 25 yds. All I can say is, WOW! If I could post pics, I'd post one of two shots I took yesterday morning cold, no warmup. Two X rings at 23 yds. I'm sold. I have a feeling there will be a lot more trad shooters employing the fixed crawl if they watch your video. I'm trying to convince my bud to give it a try and he says he will. Told him he wouldn't regret it. Thanks.   :thumbsup:
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2016, 11:58:00 AM »
Highlow... Thanks for the note. I'm very happy you gave it a try and are seeing the instant benefits!

Happy Memorial Day!

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2016, 11:07:00 AM »
I have now tried this off and on for several days. I am hitting targets with certainty like never before.

The bow is way out of tune...it sounds like the arrow is slapping the riser...is this the nock point issue I've read about?

I'll try raising the nock point and see what happens....anyone else done this yet?

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2016, 11:52:00 AM »
Russ,

Raising the nock point will drastically help.

What bow are you shooting??

Glad you're peppering the targets!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©