3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie question about brace height  (Read 738 times)

Offline MBArcher75

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie question about brace height
« on: May 06, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »
Hello, I've just gotten into traditional archery in the last couple months. I bought a Ragim Wolf 45#, 68" longbow. The Ragim website says that brace height should be between 7 and 7&3/4 inches. If I understand correctly brace height is measured from the bowstring to the deepest part of the grip. The "deepest" part of the grip would be where the webbing if palm goes, right? Sounds like a dumb question but I want to be sure because the brace height measured in that manner is only 6&1/2"! What is the deal? It was supposed to have been all tuned and checked out by the folks I bought it from. Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline Archer1977

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie question about brace height
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 03:06:00 AM »
Correct, to the deepest part of the grip where your palm webbing goes. It may have changed due to the string stretching. New strings stretch a bit, which decreases your brace height. Plan on checking it from time to time, especially if things start acting different. That is the benefit of using fast flight strings if your bow is capable, they stretch less.
Dwyer Longbow 48#

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 03:17:00 AM »
I think I know where you bought it.  I bought my grizzly from a place that said it was all set up to my draw and everything ... It was an online place.  My bow was clearly not set up in the least......Yes deepest part of the grip.  Put some more twists in the string and ty starting it at 7" and work your way up slowly till it shoots perfect and quiet.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Stalker58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 10:57:00 AM »
You are correct.
This photo shows a recurve brace height, but it's the same for any bow.

Offline MBArcher75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! I will go ahead and twist the string then. I will probably have to move the nockpoint point too, huh?

Offline MBArcher75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 01:16:00 PM »
I wish there was a traditional bow shop near me to help me get everything set up right. Anyone know of a good shop that services traditional within an hour of Sturgis, MI?

Offline MBArcher75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »
Unfortunately, my bow isn't fast flight capable. I'm thinking of getting another bow soon (well as soon as the wife will let me

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 01:58:00 PM »
MB!!
Slow down!!  What do you think you need a 65# bow for?? You don't mention what archery "game" you want to play. 20# is a HUGE jump in weight for 2 months into this kind of shooting.  Your OP shows that you are still learning ( nothing wrong with that -- we all started somewhere) but even 45# is a lot to LEARN with.

In traditional archery, you do not really gain arrow speed with more weight; more generally you get a heavier arrow flying at about the same speed.

I'd suggest that you spend some time (a couple YEARS) with the 45# bow (it'll do everything you can possibly want to do), learn all you can about this style of archery and then decide where to go next.

Setting up the bow is a learning experience that you must learn.  Don't rely on someone else to set up your bow for you.  YOU are the best judge of what is best for YOU!

Arne

PS.  What is wrong with your string????  I've used Dacron a lot over the last 50 years and it works JUST fine.  Fast flight strings have their place and I do use them but that is not reason to JUST buy a new bow.  AND, I think you will find that an "English" style longbow is probably MORE likely to NOT accommodate a FF string.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »
Moderator, please delete.
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Offline MBArcher75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 10:51:00 PM »
Thanks for your reply Arne. I may hunt eventually but my main aim is just to enjoy shooting a traditional bow. I love history and all things traditional, hence the desire to go even more traditional with an elb. I also think they are just a beautiful work of art. The string has nothing to do with that. My problem with my current string, other than it not being set up right, has to do with the serving coming loose. I even had it reserved by a pro and it immediately started coming loose again. It has been suggested to me that it may be due to string stretch. It just seems to be an awful lot of stretch. As to the poundage? It's not about hunting. It's not a macho thing. For one, it's about wanting a flatter trajectory with longer distance shots. For another, it's a goal of mine to eventually work my way up to a #100 plus elb for historical reasons (history buff). Finally, I got into this in part for physical fitness reasons and I like the idea of gaining strength as I enjoy myself after work.

Offline MBArcher75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »
Riser, why the request to delete? Did I say something wrong?

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 01:12:00 AM »
No worries.  I think he's just talking about his post.  Could have been an accident or ??   IF you do ever decide to look for another bow you are at THE best place to find one.  Pay the small fee to become a contributor and use the Classifieds here on Trad Gang!  Great bows, great people and save a lot of $$.  

Having said that, I would take Arne's advice and run with it.  Get your current bow set up well and learn all the basics.  It can take a while as I am still learning.  Once you get a little experience behind you then you can attend events and try MANY bows until you find the one that speaks to you.   It can really make a difference in traditional. So many great bows with different styles, grips, limb dynamics etc.  I think you will appreciate it more then And it will keep he wife happy.  With some luck...maybe you can get her to try out a few lighter weight bows and get the addiction herself!!  Life would then be truly awesome!!!   ( I am not that lucky).

Welcome to Trad Gang.....by the way...once you start buying multiple bows ....well....it could turn into a problem.  I had 6 before I knew it.  Sold all but one....will buy more ummmm....some day.   Ask around....there are a LOT of guys around here that have bows hidden in the closet, the basement, the shed and even under the bed.      :eek:    :eek:    :banghead:
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 02:41:00 AM »
Dont worry about fast flight. I am supprised i didn't see the suggestion above... Do your self a favor and a get a quality string from one of our makers on thia site. I know allen with ten rings made me a non fast flight string out of b55 for my grizzly. B55 is low stretch btw.  This will also fulfill your desire for another bow (for now) because with a great string your bow will shoot like a different bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 02:43:00 AM »
Oh and i saw lots of english bows on crows archery webpage. They are a new sponsor.  Something to drool over while you practice with what you got.
Fred Bear

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 07:26:00 AM »
" For one, it's about wanting a flatter trajectory with longer distance shots."

Exactly what I was trying to say in my earlier post.  Your trajectory is simply and really ONLY dependent on arrow speed/velocity.  A heavy ELB won't "flatten" your arrow flight significantly, if at all.

History is fine and if that is your interest, press on with all my support.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline MBArcher75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 08:22:00 AM »
Thanks all for the good advice. It is why I came here. I've got a LOT to learn.

Offline MBArcher75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 08:26:00 AM »
Maybe I have been getting in too much of a hurry. But I've been drooling over those beautiful yew bows for a while. lol

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 10:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by MBArcher75:
Thanks for all the replies! I will go ahead and twist the string then. I will probably have to move the nockpoint point too, huh?
Yes, and yes! There is no way a bow can come "set up for you". That is something you have to learn how to do as you get into trad shooting. Everyone is different, and shoots different, so setting up and tuning a bow is something each individual has to do themselves. Like said above, most new strings will stretch, or creep a bit.

The best piece of advice I could give you is to find an experienced trad shooter in your area to mentor you. Being new to this, you have a lot to learn, and having someone that knows what they are doing to show you the ropes will greatly lessen the learning and frustration curves!

Good luck, and welcome to the Gang!

Bisch

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
MB, where in MI are you located. A buddy and I just came back from a great longbow shoot in Fenton,MI.  There are multiple shoots coming up in the next 2 months, from up north (Graying) to around the southern part - both east and west sides of the state. These shoots are where you will be able to meet other trad archers and I have yet to meet one who won't be happy to share experience and probably his bow with you. I'm a lefty, so I have fewer offers available for me, but even lefties come to these shoots   :)  

There are many summer leagues starting and that's also a good way to meet fellow shooters.

Everyone will be happy to tell you how to shoot. Some of them can, and others like me are still well down the learning curve. Evaluate the advice giver's ability and if he seems to be able to practice what he preaches, you can pick up some valuable advice. If they are the kind who just want to show off, then thank them politely and move on. It's never a losing situation. You always learn something - even if it's what not to do. And best of all, it's a LOT OF FUN!
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline MBArcher75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »
Hi, I'm St Joseph county. Right between Coldwater and Sturgis. I'm a lefty too

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement