3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: turkeys whipped me again!  (Read 381 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
turkeys whipped me again!
« on: October 21, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
Man, I thought the turkeys put the thumpin' on me this past spring, but this fall wasn't any better! If I hunted one place, I'd spook em out of another when I was walkin' out. Last night it was hot and windy, so I figured they'd be out in an open field that had been mown recently. Finally spotted two jakes and a big tom.....75 yards to the south of me. I needed to get close, 20 yards....15 would be better. I started crawling around the woodsline, checking on them with the binos every ten minutes or so. Still there, feeding and keeping a close watch around them. The wind that had been my enemy on the mornings deer hunt had become my friend....the constant movement of the leaves and limbs helped to hide my movement. I hit an opening with only some briars and small sycamore saplings. Pusing my bow in front of me, I began to belly crawl thru the briar patch, knowing that if I made it to the sycamores, I'd be within 25 yards of the tom.....maybe he'd feed up to me? I reached the thickest clump of young trees and slowly raised my head to see what the birds were doing so that I could plan my next move! GONE!! Those "stupid" birds were nowhere in sight. My legs were aching from the crawl and the thorns I had picked up in the briars. I used a sapling to help myself up and I stretched my legs and back to get everything working again. I looked at my watch and found that I had been crawling for the last hour and forty minutes! I smiled to myself and glanced back to the point my "crawl" had begun and there were two does feeding not ten yards from my"hide"! It was getting dark, so somewhat dejected, I began limping to the truck, pulling thorns from my thighs as I went. I looked down over the hill to the place I had parked my truck by an oak, maybe 20 yards from my truck were the two jakes feeding on acorns. The big tom had already flown up and was roosted on a limb, smiling at me.....oh yeah, I had a blast! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: turkeys whipped me again!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 08:34:00 PM »
You just gotta love turkey hunting! There's always next year Mike. I'm fixing to eat my Indiana fall tag myself!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
:goldtooth:  Thats turkey hunting with a bow so much fun and frustration.

Good luck

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
Our fall turkey season ended here today. I didn't get to hunt today....some friends from church wanted to take me and the wife out for our birthdays. Hers was the 1st and mine was the 19th and my daughter took me out for supper as she was out of town on my birthday. Oh well, deer season is in and there is always next spring for turkey! Mike

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
Mike,
Happy belated birthday. Gobble-Gobble!

God Bless, David B.

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
Mike, go get em next spring. I hunted turkey yesterday here. No luck either, had one in about 25 yards but just too thick to put an arrow through, gonna give it another shot before the week ends, Steve

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
BOFF, thanks for the birthday wishes....I just wish to have 52 more of 'em!
Steve, good luck on the birds....the stinkin' things are so frustrating, but man they are fun to hunt!
Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©