3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: More grains = better Arrow flight?  (Read 896 times)

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
More grains = better Arrow flight?
« on: May 08, 2016, 11:39:00 AM »
Hey guys and gals just wanted to point out that since I've switched to 145 field points my GT 600's are flying tons better out of my bear grizzly 45# I was shooting a 125 point but seems like the flight was a little erratic here and there. I recently purchased some zwickey 150 grain heads and figured I needed to go with a close match gn to get the feel. Any explanations as to why all of a sudden my groups have tightened up with the 145 points and fly better I'm pleased with the results but was curious about the science behind what happened.
"Take Your Bow And Quiver Full Of Arrows An Go Out Into The Country To Hunt Some Wild Game For Me"

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: More grains = better Arrow flight?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »
Uh, maybe because you got the spine closer to being correct???

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 01:33:00 PM »
I have 600 GT Trads 100 grain brass inserts total Arrow weight is coming in around 510 grains with the 145 points
"Take Your Bow And Quiver Full Of Arrows An Go Out Into The Country To Hunt Some Wild Game For Me"

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 01:51:00 PM »
The science behind moving the balance point forward on an arrow has been available for more than ten years:   Understanding and Applying FOC  by Dr. Ed Ashby.

ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, moving the balance point forward will improve flight and thus penetration. It's the failure to change only a single variable (in this case the distribution of total weight along the length of the arrow) that gives rise to a lot of the misunderstanding and hoo-hah that pops up concerning this aspect of the Ashby studies.

In this case, you would need to build arrows with slightly different spines in order to isolate the effect of moving the balance point forward by using a heavier point. Or you could just keep on shooting what works (better) for you.    :archer2:

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 01:51:00 PM »
I do think heavier arrows are inherently more stable possibly because they are traveling slower and less affected by the air. But as others have mentioned it may be that these have your heads are getting your closer in spine to where you need to be.

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 02:20:00 PM »
Thanks for the helpful info understanding the reason behind it thanks again

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »
Sounds to me like You got the dynamic spine closer to where it needs to be with the heavier head.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 05:19:00 PM »
It's not just the heavier weight, it's where you put the weight.  As others have noted, adding point weight decreased the dynamic spine and brought the arrow in closer tune to your bow.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 07:12:00 PM »
The science behind what happened could be illustrated if you would shoot bare shafts with the two different points, and see which flew straighter.  By comparing the angles the bare shafts made with the target, you would have an objective measurement of which combination was better tuned for your bow, as opposed to a subjective feeling that one combination was working better than another.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 08:30:00 PM »
I'm just happy to hear that you found something that works for you.  It's always fun when it comes together.

-Jeremy   :thumbsup:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »
Because your arrows were not tuned well with the 125gr points, but apparently are tuned better with the 145gr points!

Bisch

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 10:54:00 PM »
OkieBowHunter11,
Where in OK are you? There might be someone near you that could meet with you in-person and help you out with whatever questions you may have...
Just a thought.

And I aree with what most of these guys are saying, in that, you are probably tuned a little better with that point/shaft combination than you were with the lighter point. Glad that it's working better for you.

-Tony

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 11:16:00 PM »
Yessir as tony said hit either of us up if you ever want help in person!

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 01:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by Fattony77:
OkieBowHunter11,
Where in OK are you? There might be someone near you that could meet with you in-person and help you out with whatever questions you may have...
Just a thought.

And I aree with what most of these guys are saying, in that, you are probably tuned a little better with that point/shaft combination than you were with the lighter point. Glad that it's working better for you.
I'm here in muskogee Tony I work through the week and I'm free on the weekend there is a unmarked 3d shoot in wagoner coming up this month I believe the weekend of the 17th of may would love to meet you guys anytime for sure and thanks
-Tony

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 01:16:00 AM »
Holy cow....you guys are neighbors.  Tony is good people!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 02:27:00 PM »
Sending you a PM, Okie.

Thanks, Skitch. I wish you were still around here, bud.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
No, more grains does not always equal better arrow flight , if that were the case we would all have bowling balls on the end of our arrows which is ridiculous.

I don't care who's study you read (lots of folks have their own studied that are  unpublished studies) it may help in your situation but others it may not.... more grains again does not equal better arrow flight as  I replied. End of story and I'm not a doctor and neither is .....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline buckeye-mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »

Offline buckeye-mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 12:30:00 PM »
Sorry for screwing up first post.
I also have a Bear grizzly 45#. A friend helped me tune it wit GT 1535. Ended up with the aluminum inserts and 175 grain field points. The grizzly shoots them pretty fast and straight. I put on my Simmons broadhead 175 gr Shot just as good. I used those same arrows in my bear Montana 50#, and they shot just as straight.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
Tune the arrow to the bow to the shooter. I personally like heavy foc arrows in the 10gpp range. It's all about the tune.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©