3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: More grains = better Arrow flight?  (Read 897 times)

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: More grains = better Arrow flight?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 03:27:00 PM »
Agreed I feel like this solution has help me find and get closer to correct spine and makes me that much more confident I shoot the 125 points ok don't get me wrong but I shoot the 145s better. I can tell the arrow is flying better without watching it's flight just picking a spot and following through shooting instinctive.
"Take Your Bow And Quiver Full Of Arrows An Go Out Into The Country To Hunt Some Wild Game For Me"

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 03:53:00 PM »
I agree with heavier does not mean better arrow flight.

I use only 165 total grains up front (point and insert) on some 600's for my 45 lb go to recurve. Can go down in point weight 20 grains or up about the same and still get a very acceptable arrow flight. Most comfortable arrow flights for me are 165 to 175 grains total up front.

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »
Interresting points here. I shoot GT 600 my self with 52gr inserts and 125gr field points out of my 37# Cayuga. My arrows are full length at 30,5" and fly reasonably well. Maybe I should try putting more weight up front?
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
Way back when, before people were having penetration problems on whitetail deer, when Acme cedars, Microflite and 1918 aluminum arrows were normal,  a lot of excess head weight was  not a desirable thing.  That 125 grain head weight was agreed on as being just about right for almost everyone, but if you had a heavy bow you could always go for those over kill heads, a four blade Delta or a Herters or heaven forbid a Deadhead.  We even preferred swaged aluminums to get the point weight down. With there only being three basic spines to pick from with carbon shafts, I understand all of the messing around and experimenting, and all of the threads talking about how to get them to behave.  For those of us that use the arrow length as a draw check device, carbons are an increased complication.  I tried some 190 grain heads on Surewood arrows that the charts say are over spined with 160 grain heads.  No way, I am cutting those Ribtec 190s down to be Ribtec Hills.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »
with an arrow saw a few spine choices.
then bare shaft and paper tune,and a good arrow saw you can get an arrow to fly with anything you want to use. my move to heave FOC was due to the lack of grain weights of carbons when I was shooting my 80lb bamabow tribute. unless I wanted to go Easton FMJ DG and push heavier than I wanted arrows I had to experiment. my goal was 9.5-11gpp I managed to hit right near 10gpp.
After that time learning how to tune I found that I liked the way my arrows flew, hit and felt. They run right about 10gpp now and zoom. I droped poundage to a 58lb McBroom. and went from a 300 spine to a 400 spine GT velocity.still at that 10gpp range with 585grain arrows with about 28% foc. no mater what you do it comes down to a perfectly tuned arrow matched to the bow, with the shooter shooting their best.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 07:56:00 PM »
Putting a broadhead on your arrow will let you know if you're arrow is tuned real quick.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 08:00:00 PM »
As the saying goes, too much of anything is not good.  I try to find a balance w my 42 pound whip that is used for hunting, stumping, and 3d.  Bareshafting determines my point weight w full length 600 gts or bemans.  This happens to be 200 grs.  This works GREAT on our big white tails and I don't shoot over 20 yes in my hunting situations so having an arrow approaching 14 gpp works for me.  Now if I was really trying to get every edge I could in 3d I'd flatten my trajectory by going to a lighter spine arrow which should allow me to reach tune w less weight up front and have a lighter overall arrow.  Once you develop solid form your bow will tell you what weight up front is ideal.  Best of luck.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
The science behind what happened could be illustrated if you would shoot bare shafts with the two different points, and see which flew straighter.  By comparing the angles the bare shafts made with the target, you would have an objective measurement of which combination was better tuned for your bow, as opposed to a subjective feeling that one combination was working better than another.
x2
shoot straight shoot often

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 09:21:00 AM »
I also think it wud be a good idea to try bareshafts and a great learning experience  because I've never tried it. I've looked at a few videos on the subject and am now tempted to try it.
"Take Your Bow And Quiver Full Of Arrows An Go Out Into The Country To Hunt Some Wild Game For Me"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
In the DVD Masters of the Barebow, volume 2 I believe, there is a section by Ken Beck, the former owner of Black Widow Bows, that gives a good introduction to tuning arrows.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2016, 09:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
In the DVD Masters of the Barebow, volume 2 I believe, there is a section by Ken Beck, the former owner of Black Widow Bows, that gives a good introduction to tuning arrows.
OK thanks McDave definitely gonna look into it!

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 09:28:00 PM »
I have yet to bareshaft my GT 600's but I did take it a step further with the FOC and went and grabbed three 175 points from my local pro shop and my arrows are flying even better at that weight. My total Arrow weight is now around 540 gns so that's around 275 up front. I'm also experimenting with the GT warrior brand 600s gotta love that name but they are slightly lighter at 5.7 gns per in so total Arrow weight is around 486 but with the same 275 gns up front. Both Arrow setups fly really well after the 30 gn increase up front probably the best that I've seen them fly so far my arrows are still at 32 in but I'm sure if I did need to cut if necessary. All a learning experience and if I lost anything I most certainly can't tell if feel like I gained something with better accuracy down range.

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
I have yet to bareshaft my GT 600's but I did take it a step further with the FOC and went and grabbed three 175 points from my local pro shop and my arrows are flying even better at that weight. My total Arrow weight is now around 540 gns so that's around 275 up front. I'm also experimenting with the GT warrior brand 600s gotta love that name but they are slightly lighter at 5.7 gns per in so total Arrow weight is around 486 but with the same 275 gns up front. Both Arrow setups fly really well after the 30 gn increase up front probably the best that I've seen them fly so far my arrows are still at 32 in but I'm sure if I did need to cut if necessary. All a learning experience and if I lost anything I most certainly can't tell if feel like I gained something with better accuracy down range.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©