3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Doing "black out" for HOT blind hunting?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
Doing "black out" for HOT blind hunting?
« on: May 08, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »
I have a potentially hot hunt coming up in August, long days in a hot blind. I usually do black turtlenecks or long sleeve black cotton tshirts depending on weather.

Last time I was doing all day sits in 100+ degree weather I used a mesh running shirt and a lot of Carbo Mask. I thought this combo worked pretty good, but I hoped to have room for improvement.

Searching around the internet I don't seem to find any great firsthand experience. What do you guys wear into the blind on really hot/long days to keep comfortable and in the shadows?
Thom

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Doing "black out" for HOT blind hunting?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 05:17:00 PM »
I use netting and wear shorts and a grey or tan T-shirt.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 11:28:00 PM »
My son raised the back of thevblind with rocks for some ventilation
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 05:31:00 AM »
Black silk long underwear. It's paper thin.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 07:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ray Lyon:
Black silk long underwear. It's paper thin.
Thanks for the replies! Ray, this is where I was leaning. Was wondering if it would be better to have it loose and use an arm guard, or get some with some spandex type blend to snug it to the skin?

How about cool but black headwear? Could just do a light black boonie with vents, but I'm open to any better ideas.

I'm on the fence between Hardy and Carbo Mask, anything else I should be looking into?

Thanks all, just want to be as comfortable as possible. Thanks for entertaining my questions.
Thom

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
Don't know how warm it would get, but nylons / panty hose come in all sorts of colors ( or did anyway).  Make your own head gear from a pair.
ChuckC

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
Under Armor "heat gear" really works -- it has become very popular with baseball players as a way to handle the heat. It is the coolest cover up I can think of -- it transports sweat to the outside and that cools your skin. If I were you I would look around for a long sleeve heat gear top in black.

In a blind you can wear shorts since the windows are generally high enough that you won't be in from the waist up.

I have worn carbo mask in hot weather and it is a good option.

Good luck.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
I use Kuiu Tiberon pants and tops or the Tiberon pants and a FirstLite Llano top. I used it in WY last year and especially liked the dot technology of the Tiberon line for hot weather.

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »
It's the same way here in East Texas during bow season sometimes. Not unusual to be 90 degrees. I always were a black long sleeve Under Armor shirt, with shorts (since my white legs are hidden lol) and snake boots with a little black face paint. That's in a pop up blind.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the pointers on UA, I don't own a single piece of their stuff but in this case the Heat Gear in black looks  like exactly what I was looking for. Matching hood and facemask could be a nice bonus.

Soccer shorts/running shorts are what I wore for bottoms the last few times to this rodeo. I was very pleased with the results on that half of my body. Also took off boots/socks as soon as I entered my blind.

I've worn both Carbo Mask and Hardy, but I'm currently out of both. Pros/cons to each, now I need to figure out which one to order.

Good stuff from the TG folks, thanks!
Thom

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »
I second the thin silk... works like a charm.   Mine is so thin you can almost see through it.  I may actually keep you cooler than no shirt at all due to evaporation.  

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 10:36:00 PM »
A little Jackie Bushman trick a black neckerchief with ice or small cold packs rolled up and worn around your neck. Jackie said it's an old trick he used when he played pro tennis. Cool neck cool body.
Something to try when it get miserably hot.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »
Montanawidower has it correct.  If you're out of the sun, the black paper thin silk is no warmer than a t-shirt. You can almost read a newspaper through the stuff I have.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 02:42:00 PM »
Thom:
You might also want a Mission Cooling Towel in black. You can probably google the name and find a good online deal.

Those things work and are great for the money. There are many other brands and colors available. Home Depot even sells cooling towels in the summer. They are a great thing to have on warm nights when tent camping too.
  :wavey:
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
I wear a drifit running shirt or UA heat gear base layer.  Anytime the temperature is over 70deg, I expect it to be much warmer in the blind.  At that point I have a pair of crocs in my pack and I slip out of my boots and my pants as well.  Gotta be comfortable....and sitting in the blind in my boxer briefs is probably the best way I've managed to stay cool in a hot blind.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline rcoffelt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 07:22:00 AM »
Pick up some under armour heat gear in black. If all your doing is hunting from the blind a long sleeve and a pair of shorts really keeps you cool. The heat gear is some good stuff!
Black Widow PSA 58" 65# @28"
Robertson Puriust 64" 75# @ 28"

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 08:44:00 AM »
You can also find one of the dew rags with the cooling gel in them.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
Hello everybody, thanks for the additional responses. Last week I spent 5 days building ground blinds and doing other off-season chores around Wild Things. Being around or over 100 degrees all those days, I figured it was a good time to test this stuff out before season opens in a month.

I had a little left in my 2016 hunting budget so I went with the Under Armour "Heat Gear" long sleeve top, and the "Raid" shorts made of the same stuff. It really did an excellent job of keeping me cool and I'm very happy with them.  Perhaps some of the other options would work just as good, but some online sources weren't terribly expensive.

I did add a UA boonie hat (cause who can have too many boonies?) and that Mission Cooling Towel to my order. Joe, that towel thing is AMAZING!!! I did need to wet it every few hours but I'm very happy with it and might pick up another one just to have a spare.

If anyone is ever searching the archives I hope this extra info is helpful to them. Now I just want to black out the logos and stitching and I should be set.
Thom

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
Those "keep cool" almost shammy like things they sell had sporting goods and home improvement stores work really well.  You get them wet and put around your neck.  Gives a cooling feel even in very hot weather.  I used it on my first ever antelope hunt last August.

Also if in a blind shirts is a option and use very thin wool, hiking socks and boots with some venting to them.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 01:05:00 AM »
It looks like you are all set to be Mr Cool on that pronghorn hunt. Can't wait for the hunt story. Good luck.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©