3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Doing "black out" for HOT blind hunting?  (Read 1360 times)

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Doing "black out" for HOT blind hunting?
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 08:09:00 AM »
If it's hot and dry, wetting your clothes can be very helpful!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »
Very enlightening thread!  I was just resigning myself to being hot and sweaty in my lope blind this August. Now, maybe not! Thanks for the Q & A!

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 09:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
Very enlightening thread!  I was just resigning myself to being hot and sweaty in my lope blind this August. Now, maybe not! Thanks for the Q & A!
Yeah Roy, I've learned a bunch in this thread too. Not just the few posts I responded to directly, but all of the posts. I'm glad this thread will be out there for people who search for it! But now it's time to get ready for speed goats, 31 days!
Thom

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »
Ah Thom those legs! You can't just be showing us pics of those ugly things! Cover them up with a sack or something!

My eyes burn! They Burn!

Oh the humanity!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
I saw this on another forum. Might come in handy!  
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »
Dave, HA! Glad I've got buddies who keep me in check!

Randy, that is some contraption! I assume it's basically a swamp cooler using low voltage fans to  push air down into the cooler where it's cooled by some big blocks of ice then pushed out the exhaust vent?
Thom

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 10:15:00 AM »
You got it! You can run it off a 12 volt battery. I'm thinking about making one just for fun. Then I'll have it if I ever go hunting speed goats!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2016, 03:44:00 PM »
We just prefer to hunt early. 90 percent if the goats we kill are from first light to about ten in the morning. Noon is the latest we hunt. After ten years of all day sits ive learned my lesson. Our goats here water early.
 That being said if it gets hot im just in my whitie tighties in the blind!
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline TexasKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
Great stuff, but Thom, I'm more interested in the ground blinds you built. Mind sharing in another thread or in an email?

Sick of pop ups that tear up! Bout to go build a half dozen myself and looking for inspiration.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2016, 11:54:00 AM »
Thom....get out of the blind before u roast....rake out an area behind the blind and set your chair behind it.....the hogs will know no difference.....you can move right to left and make a shot....if they come from the rear just be still.....full camo would be best...

done it before....more than once.....hogs will assume you are part of the blind or a bush...

stay cool and shoot straight.....best of luck !!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2016, 07:19:00 PM »
He's goat hunting Terry.

Thom, Robin Conrads of TBM used to sell a bandana that had some stuff inside it that would soak up ice water and remain cool for a long time. You might call/email to get one.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2016, 08:00:00 PM »
Boy, I'd been busy on this thread since I've been out!

Randy - Thanks for confirming, might be fun to build and I have most of the parts already.

Chris - Good tip, I hear folks say "if you get hot just shoot a doe" but I've only had two shot opportunities in 2 years the last few times I tried this. I pray the new property does much better.

Tim - I have a whole post just for you.

Terry - I was just using some summer hog weather to test out my gear for Wyoming pronghorn. I "think" I'm starting to get these hogs figured out pretty good     :goldtooth:    

Chuck - the local farmer's market has someone who sold them a few years ago. I have one and it's on the gear pile already. Thank you very much for letting me know where I can get another one!
Thom

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »
Oh....Sorry Thom....thought you were hog hunting....trying to read and post on a cell phone aint the best.

I killed mine sitting on a stool in knew high sage at the top of a valley entrance it a guillie suit.

Best of luck to you....might could get one of those little battery operated fans (sorry if that has been mentioned)

Can't wait to hear the story.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2016, 10:48:00 PM »
Thanks Terry, it should still be a fresh story in October (and you'll probably get the long version at the campfire if it's a good one!) I do have one of those battery powered fans blind fans, and I'll be taking it just for a little extra comfort if needed.

Tim, here you go about that blind! Here are the four links I think you should read first:
   First thread.  
   Second thread.  
   Third thread.  
   Irv\\'s hog blind thread.  

After spending a bunch of time comparing notes with Irv, I decided to go the square route.

I used two 16' panels per blind, cutting them in half. That results in one panel being 8' and the other being 7'.  I used the two 7s for front and back, the two 8s for the sides.

I set the forward wall square to each feeder at 10 yards and drove the 2 stakes and laid the short panel up against it. From here I laid one side wall at 90 degrees, then posted the second side and back ensuring it was all square.

Next I put a seat in the blind and cut the window with bolt cutters.

Front wall has carpet on the inside with black side out. Other 3 walls are hunt on the outside with green side out (meaning all 3 other inside walls are black.) Create a "hinge" with zip ties on the back door. Cut shooting window. Use bungie and zip tie to make a improvised garden gate latch system.

After this we did our hoops out of conduit. Although I liked the loop idea, I think Charlies angle brackets will make a better roof. Top will be water proof, front and back of roof will be landscape cloth to allow heat to escape.

I hope that's enough to get you going, give me an email or PM if you want more exact details.
Thom

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2016, 12:42:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©