3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer and Minding the Wind  (Read 948 times)

Offline Terry Johnston

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer and Minding the Wind
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »
i have been fighting the noses of  whitetails for most of 4 decades.Until last season I was convinced,just hunt the wind, thats all that works.. I still think one should only hunt the wind, but was absolutely stunned at the effectiveness of the ozonic units. Unfortunately, very few days offer me a pure wind, so i tried a ozonics unit at the recommendation of a friend. I was stunned at the number of deer that walked right under me with very suspect winds and even directly down wind. This happen on numerous occassions, not just once. It would be foolish to think that ozone works all the time, but it definitely helps a bunch.. Want hunt without it on those variable wind days..Take it for what its worth..

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »
I hope they never find a way to completely eliminate human scent while hunting. It would definitely take a lot of the challenge out of our game. Having said that one thing I do that does help somewhat is to take chlorophyll pills. Start about 2 weeks before season. Even if Ozonics worked 100 percent is never be caught dead carrying one around the woods with me.

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »
I may have over looked it, but I didn't see anyone post about what affect thermals have on deer movement. This is besides the primary wind direction because more times than I can recall I've seen the wind and the thermals moving in completely opposite directions.

Grouse

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »
Thermals are a real pain that way.  I still get caught getting it wrong when the temps drop in the evening.   I have seen it on one slope where the wind is coming from the west at sundown and ten yards away and down the hip it is the opposite.  I used my glove powder to check the wind there once.  the powder went west up the hip and a minute later I saw it passing below me in the sun shine.  Oh yes,  deer do not like the smell of Dr. Schulze foot powder.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 01:14:00 AM »
I got one siting on the ground last year wearing old spice deodorant...at under 10 yds...not my usual approach.    :eek:   I try to play the wind, and be scent conscious most of the time. If it's the rut, I don't know if any of it matters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©