3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many were successful?  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many were successful?
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
My first season using a trad bow, I took a big doe from the ground at 8 yards in late October ...then later that winter in mid December, I took a little rag horn buck from a tree at 10 yards. That was years ago, and ive never even thought about hunting with anything else since then.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 07:22:00 PM »
I purchased my first custom stick in 1996. I shot way to much and it felt like my fingers might fall off, but I killed a doe that same year. I have shot all kinds of archery over the years and enjoyed every minute of it. Stickbows are my absolute favorite and I feel fortunate to do what I love.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
I'll echo what's been said.

I committed to trad hunting 4 years ago.  First 2 years were spent learning how to truly hunt and setup (I stay on the ground).

That first year, I had zero opportunities.  I realized I was hunting with a compound or crossbow mindset.

The second year, I started getting deer closer.  Even had some opportunities that were blown because I got caught moving.  But things were improving greatly.

My 3rd year was dismal.  I missed a whitetail at 22 yards, a Sika bull at 19 yards, another Sika bull at 19 yards, and cut hair off the back of a whitetail at 14 yards.  But, at that point, I realized I had become a much better hunter as I was having opportunities at reasonable ranges.

This past year, it all came together with a 17 yard shot on a small whitetail buck.

I started shooting trad in 2006.  Had some health issues that caused me to stop for 14 months and 6 months.

I've never had more fun and worked harder at anything with regards to hunting.  And yes, I've slowed down and now pay attention to the little details.

What a great sport we have.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »
My first morning in the woods after I had spent three months sober from wheeliebow I shot a small buck that dropped in sight. While waiting, a doe came by followed closely by a mature 8 point that looked like a plow horse compared to the buck  I had shot...but my buck season was already over. I was shooting the same Bear Grizzly I had bought, new, 44 years earlier, and shooting the same Micro Flite no 8's with Zwickey heads from 44 years earlier as well.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline J.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
I killed a small doe the first year I hunted with a recurve. Shot her at a whopping 4 yards! Man, I love trad hunting.
Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 10:11:00 PM »
I started in 95 and hunted thru 96 with dismal results. I could shoot lights out but couldn't keep it together when it counted. Missed 2 bucks in one day and grabbed up the compound. I gained lots of valuable experience in this time and don't regret it.  Fast forward 17 years and piles of game killed. Took a new job with a couple trad guys and got the bug again. Practiced every night for a while and went out in the late season and killed a doe my first time out with my old Assenheimer. Dabbled a while and then went full trad again a year later with really good success.  Going to CO on a trad elk hunt this year and can't wait.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 12:16:00 AM »
Here in MO I'm pretty well limited to hunting deer and turkey.

My first year I did harvest a doe with my Montana longbow.

However, since then I've had a season with no trad harvest, a season with a young deer, and another season with no trad harvest.

Part of that is because of a decline in deer numbers in the areas I hunt.  Part of that is because I've not had nearly as much time to be in the woods.

One thing is for sure though, the only archery harvests I will have from here on out, regardless of my success rates, will be trad harvests!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©