3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Vanes off of a feather rest?  (Read 543 times)

Online Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Vanes off of a feather rest?
« on: May 10, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »
Hi Gang,
I've seen lots of discussion about shooting vanes off of a bear weatherrest but what about a feather rest?  I tried some today with mixed results. Some seemed to fly like darts while others appeared to kick up on release and enter the target a little diving point down.  Really concentrated on getting clean releases so as not to throw off the results.  Do I need to rotate the nock a little to get complete clearance? Raise the nocking point a little? I shoot split and my nocking point is 3/8-1/2" above square. I would like to be able to carry a couple of vaned arrows for those rainy days. Thanks in advance for any feedback.  Take care - Jeff

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Vanes off of a feather rest?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 03:57:00 PM »
Instead of vanes go with goose feathers on the rainy day arrows and you won't have to mess with your tune.

IMHO you will never get consistent performance with vanes other then with an elevated rest.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 04:40:00 PM »
Mike, thanks for the recommendation. Never tried goose feathers. Worth considering. You don't consider a feather rest to be an elevated rest? Thanks again, Jeff

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 01:26:00 AM »
A feather rest is an elevated rest, just not the same as the bear weatherrest and types like that.

Bisch

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 05:54:00 AM »
Never had a problem with vanes off a feather rest. My '63 Tamerlane came with a red feather rest when it was new (made a year before Bear put the side plates on that model bow) and I shot with Plasti-fletch hard plastic vanes with no problems.  Might review the nocking point height.

Online Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »
Thanks Bob. Yeah, I was wondering if I should raise it just a tad. How high do you put your nocking point? Thanks - Jeff

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Joe2Crow:
Thanks Bob. Yeah, I was wondering if I should raise it just a tad. How high do you put your nocking point? Thanks - Jeff
How high someone else puts their knocking point has no real bearing on how high your nocking point should be. Tuning will tell you how high yours should be.

Bisch

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 10:49:00 AM »
go on youtube and search "shooting vanes off a shelf".  There is a video of a guy shooting them off of a shelf with no problem.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©