3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Different feathers for fletching...  (Read 535 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Different feathers for fletching...
« on: October 21, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
Hey all, I was thinking of trying pheasant feathers for fletching(my brittany is itching BAD). That got me thinking about the different types of feathers others have used. I know turkey and goose have a good following, so I figured I would throw this out there and see if anyone uses anything else. If so, what- and how does it compare? Has anyone actually used pheasant?-How do they work?
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Different feathers for fletching...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
I've tried crow and chicken...neither impressed me; not very durable. Also tried turkey secondaries. Not as durable as the primaries, but easier to get a hold of and no real difference in flight...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
Peacock feathers are good, as are all large water birds( swan, pelican etc) and larger raptors.

Some of these may be off limits due to local wild life regulations.

I only use cast feathers that the birds have moulted. No live bird has been harmed for the purpose of this discussion.
Three things you cant take back, time past, harsh words and a well sped arrow

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
Love that disclaimer Outback....we arent even supposed to have raptor feathers. Peacock sounds interesting.
Chicken and crow were two of the ones I was thinking...Thanks for the info bud.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
Goose feathers are great in wet weather.

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 03:08:00 AM »
The Korean arrow I have has pheasant feather fletching.its thinner than turkey feathers.Here's a link to some pics.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=044982;p=1#000000

Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
That one fletch looks rough, would you say it doesnt hold up well?
                         -Jamie

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
Ishiwannabe,
That arrow was given to me as a souvenir by a korean archer and have been used for a long time.The two weeks that I was there,he was at the range everyday shooting and stays there until evenings shooting,drinking and just telling stories with other archers.Im sure that arrow has seen a lot of shooting days.The quill is ground very thin also.They also shoot during winter.
Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
Thanks Gil...I think I will give em a try....that is if I can get a few this season.
                         -Jamie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©