3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Successful stand or blind placements  (Read 496 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Successful stand or blind placements
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 02:44:00 AM »
Good stuff guys!

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 10:51:00 AM »
Mine isn't actually one stand, but more a honey hole of mine with several stands I've hunted over the years.  First, a little background.  I hunt land that my family leases from a timber company.  Typically, when they clear cut a tract of pine, they only leave maybe 50-100 feet on either side of most small creeks, so we don't have a lot of hardwood in most places.  This location got a pine beetle infestation 30-40 years ago that killed a patch of pine on either side of this little creek.  The timber company cut the infected timber, but left the pine around it because it was still younger than they like to harvest.  Since it was a small area, they didn't replant it and the hardwood understory grew up in place of the pine.  Fast forward to today and there's an area of hardwood about 150-200 yards wide at the widest and maybe 400-500 yards long that is currently surrounded by a few hundred acres of about 12-15 year old pine plantation with a very thick understory that makes for perfect bedding area.  So this hardwood gets hit by deer from a few hundred acres when the acorns hit the ground.  I haven't actually killed a deer with trad gear yet, but I didn't sit anywhere in this bottom last year without seeing deer, and I saw as many as 11 in one sitting, so I'd say it's still successful.  I did get my first trad shot last year at a doe, but I blew it.  She jumped the string, but I should have anticipated it at that range, so it's still my fault.  Here's three pictures from the stand where I blew the shot.  It's a 14' ladder at the convergence of 4 trails that travel both along the creek and across the bottom.  I don't have a picture of the stand itself.

Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 10:58:00 AM »
And here's a couple pictures from stump shooting with the kids in the same bottom the last couple years.

Oh, and this dead end timber company road runs right along the edge of it for about 75 yards (left side of road), so it's quick easy access for evening hunts after work.

Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©