3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question on breaking in a new bow....with pix..a Ky hunting story  (Read 779 times)

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Is the first arrow you shoot at a critter out of a new bow supposed to look like this....

pretty tired right now,be back in a bit....
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question on breaking in a new bow....with pix..a Ky hunting story
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
if you were aimin for that leaf then ya fell short,,, i think a big DeerThingie may have altered your arrows flight. looks excellent if the DeerThingie was your intended target though. That looks like the best possible way to break in a new bow to me though,,, very very nice intro too. Rest of story and pics please  :thumbsup:
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
Every arrow you shoot at a critter hopefully looks like that.  I know it doesnt but we call all dream cant we!!  Looking good cant wait for the rest of the story!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
Alright, I will get the coffee ready and read the rest in the mornin!!
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
WHAT!?! THAT"S IT??!?!? I just hate suspense!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Ken Allen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »
Nope, they are suppose to be clean and pretty when you shoot at them. That picture shows what they are suppose to look like "after" you shot it:)
Ken Allen

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 04:04:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 04:36:00 AM »
WHY THE HECK CAN'T PEOPLE JUST COME ON, POST THE PICS AND STORY ALL AT ONCE.  :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 05:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by Danny Rowan:
WHY THE HECK CAN'T PEOPLE JUST COME ON, POST THE PICS AND STORY ALL AT ONCE.      :banghead:      :banghead:      :banghead:      :banghead:  
:D  :D  'cos none of us would ever get anything done, for sitting here & reading!  :D  :D
The suspense gives us all time to go do the little things that keep us fed (like, work!)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Glenn Carl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
Ok its morning, coffee is done now out with the story and pics!!!!   :coffee:
"This is cool"  My 7 year old son Ian after shooting his new youth bow built from Elk Ninja's build-along

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »
Our black powder season opened here yesterday(2 day season).Hate the
thought of having to sit in a tree with my bow with orange on but you
gotta do what ya gotta do.Called Pap(my dad) at dinner & gave him the run
down on this morning,he wasn't able to go...& I couldn't be gone but for a
little while.....Busted some going in this moring but didn't see anything
on stand but some turkeys....didn't hear a muzzleloader go off anywere
near where I was hunting...O.K...Mountain Dew break be back in a few....

Offline BONES in Virginia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
We should add a new "man law",that says you are not allowed to leave us hanging this way....LOL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
After talking to pap & we put together a little game plan & he told me he
would be down in another hour or so.When he got there we decided on which
stands to hunt.I'd hunt the one toward the back of the property which is
between 2 bedding areas & he would hunt the one down next to the clover
bottom.Then we would meet up at dark & go over what we saw....

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
Headed to our stands somewhere around 3 or so.Made sure he got in his alright.Had been in there for a couple of hours...had seen a couple of squirrels,didn't exspect much to happen till it got closer to dark.Had a redheaded woodpecker trying to drill a hole in a tree not 10 yards from me.So I try to be real quiet & video tape him doing his thing.I guess I watch him for close to 15 minutes or so,then he finally left....

I was pretty relaxed sitting there,wind hitting me right in the face.....not a care in the world....I could here some squirrels up behind me & didn't give the commotion they were making much thought,then all the sudden I hear a deer make about a half hearted snort(more like a sneeze).I froze just as still as I could,figured it may have been up in there watching me video the woodpecker.I sat there still as a statue,not moving a muscle.

I was hunting pretty high up in the tree but was still afraid to move,I wanted so bad to ease my head around & see what kinda deer it was.You could hear it walk a few step & then stop.It was so close to me I could hear it breath but still couldn't turn around to see it..

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
holy makeral, do you guys all work at gitmo?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
Just keep in mind this deer is down wind & I think it knows their is something that aint quite right just can't pinpoint were the danger it got a nose full of is lurking...

Now let's put this story on hold for a few....I want to take you back to a few days ago.I purchased a Lewis Hollow 3 pc t/d...maple & wenge 62" 52lbs.Just got it in this past Thursday...having exchanged e-mails with the bowyer(Chris Sparks)about how much I liked it,I was bound & determined to make meat this with smooth shooting beuty...I had packed her to the woods every time I'd went hoping to connect.Without any luck I'd been playing musical tree's with the current doe population with most encounters turning up just a few yards further than I was wanting to shoot...but I wasn't going to give up....I was having to much fun for that...

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »
Funny, my bows typically break me in..  :knothead:
Nice shot. You must be shooting one of those new infared super duper tracking device thingie arrows on that new bow?   :clapper:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
O.K. were was I....Alright then,this deer is slowly making it's way down & around my right side...still haven't seen it yet but can hear it's every step.The whole time I'm betting it a buck(no tag for a buck).For what seems like an eternity I sat there motionless waiting for this deer to come around far enough so I can at least see it.....out of the corner of my eye I finally make out the shape of a deer...it comes on around & I can see it a doe...this deer looks like someone sprayed painted the backs of her ears solid black...they really stood out on her.She's finally under the tree looking directly away from me.I real easy slide up & tun on the video camera.She's starting to walk & I carefully ease up out of seat.....

She's now at about 12 yards & quartering real steep away from me.The shot doesn't feel right so I wait.She turns just a little & puts her left leg forward.Still slightly quartering, that feeling you get when you know it's getting ready to happen.I pick my spot draw & away it goes.....When the arrow strikes her I can tell it's forward of were I was wanting,but I knew immediately by the blood on the ground that it was good enough.she's was spurting blood like I've never seen before....be back in a bit....

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
She takes off running & she can tell she's really having trouble...crashing & falling over everything..The commotion stops what seems like a 100 yards or so up in the thicket.I'm setting there reliving the shot & knowing it's a little forward but not really concerned.I ease out of the tree & inspect my arrow.There is blood everywere & I do mean everywere....I check my GPS to see what time it is...it's about 5:45 now...still early.I'm gonna sit here & let pap hunt & I'll go get my deer....Naw, he said come on out if you get one.So I started to get him,got to almost 50 yards of his tree & busted 2 deer...I knew I should of stayed till dark...I'm putting on my best poker face I can & walk up to his tree & tell him how sorry I'm am about spooking thwm deer.Trying not to crack a smile I listened as he's telling me what has happened so far....

He's say's....you hadn't even got out of sight & a big doe come out in the  clover field...she messed around for 20 minutes or so then left.Then a big doe came out & she knew something wasn't right & she tore out of here....then those 2 you just run off have been around here for a little while....What about you,you see anything...BTW what are ya doing coming out so early..I tell him I've just seen the one....still not cracking a smile....was it a big one little one or ??Well it was by itself & there real hard to judge when their alone...Looked like a small doe yearling doe but really didn't pay that much attention to her..I do know she has the blackest ears I've ever seen..

He said if it's the black eared one I seen a couple of days ago she aint no yearling...she'll probably dress 100 lbs or so...were did she go when she left.I tell him she went up the real thick hollow & in a big hurry..What happened did she wind ya...she may have but she's leaking red stuff all over the leaves & ground....

I tell him how it unfolded & to go to the house & get Jacob(8 year old son).I think it would be a good one for him to track.Plus I keep telling him I'm gonna let him help but this usually happens when he's in school...

So about 30 minutes later they arrive & Jacob is all smiles...were was she standing daddy...I don't need no help,just show me which way she went..I'll find her daddy ...So jacob led the blood trail with his pappaw bringing up the rear while I was videoing it.... I hear Jacob say here she is daddy......I found her..way to go Jacob you found her all by yourself...we sat there looked at her & I ask jacob if he's gonna help drag...yep I'll help ya & pappaw can run the camera......Jacob even helped skin it...

She's not the biggest but is really one of my more memorable deer I've killed.How many times do ya get to kill a deer with the first arrow shot out of a new bow & have 3 generations of your family take part in it & capture it all on video.....doesn't happen often ....Thanks for letting me share.....

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
OUTSTANDING MARK!!!!!!!!!
  :bigsmyl:  And Jacob  :clapper:  Good Tracking Job!
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©