3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What target?  (Read 725 times)

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What target?
« on: May 14, 2016, 11:36:00 AM »
What kinds of targets are you guys using? I'm about to buy a new one next week. I've had bag targets, block targets, all different brands but I'm wanting to get a really good one. If you were going to spend up to $200 what would be your pick? I have a small target to take on trips. This will be strictly a back yard target so size isn't an issue.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What target?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 11:57:00 AM »
R & W deer. If you can swing more $$$ then I'd get a Rinehart. You may be able to find one of their blend as well.
SWA Spyder

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
for a fieldpoint block target I use bulldog, they have a lifetime warranty, and come in several sizes. with free shipping in the US. for 3D I like Rinehart. but I shoot to much and tear them up to justify a 3D so I go to the local 3d range and pay the fee to wear out theirs.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »
A Rhinehart Broadhead Buck is self heal foam in core and throughout the body. For another 30 bucks added to your budget, you'd have the best target material on the market today, that holds up to more shots, weather and climate, and about anything you are going to throw at it. Easy arrow removal with no lubricants needed... for the money, you absolutely will not do better then the Broadhead buck. I just came off of a month long of research and shopping, and now I am reaping the benifits of my work. Ive already got nearing 600 shots into it with field tips, and any "damage" is insignificant. The guy at Rhinehart estimated with field tip use for me, the target could easily last 8-10 years. The replaceable core is common and affordable.

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shadowhnter:
A Rhinehart Broadhead Buck is self heal foam in core and throughout the body. For another 30 bucks added to your budget, you'd have the best target material on the market today, that holds up to more shots, weather and climate, and about anything you are going to throw at it. Easy arrow removal with no lubricants needed... for the money, you absolutely will not do better then the Broadhead buck. I just came off of a month long of research and shopping, and now I am reaping the benifits of my work. Ive already got nearing 600 shots into it with field tips, and any "damage" is insignificant. The guy at Rhinehart estimated with field tip use for me, the target could easily last 8-10 years. The replaceable core is common and affordable.
Awesome. I just got done reading the reviews at Cabelas on this target and it may be the one I get.

Offline Arrowcraft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 03:20:00 PM »
Spider Web if you are shooting carbon
    Pacific Bow Butts for carbon & woodies

Black Wolf 68" 57#@28-------
   -----Tall Tines 60" 52&45#@28-----

Offline KodaChuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »
Look at the Ironman made by Big Shot Targets ...extremely durable. Their 450K is an exceptional bag target.
Palmer Recurve 64" 46# @ 30"

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »
My bulldog range dog with legs has been going strong for over 15 years with minor maintenance, replaced the legs with pressure treated wood and repacked with plastic and resurfaced with a piece from an old trampoline once. Well worth the initial investment for me.

For 3D I pick up a rhinehart blem from Big Jim when he has them in.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 10:07:00 PM »
I won (lucky day) the traditional class at a small local shoot last weekend and received a Rhinehart 18-1.  I'm having a blast with it, and I'll bet I get >2 years out of it.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 12:50:00 AM »
I've been pleased with Glendel Full Rut Buck

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 02:06:00 AM »
Just finished building a 33 x 33 x 15 carpet target after 9" compression. Inexpensive,quite effective and reportedly many times longer longevity than even the best targets. Painted face black and initially seems excellent.

Cutting the carpet is the most challenging task.

You tube build videos are readily available. Target will recieve an adequate test since it should expect to absorb approximately 400 rounds per week. ...have utilized various bag targets, three Morrel Outdoor Range targets, other Morrel bag targets and various blobs and several  other types of targets.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 08:13:00 AM »
I have the Glendale full rut buck and I've been shooting thousands of arrows into this thing for 4 years.  I just put a new insert in it and it cost me $69 buck for the replacement.  It's awesome and I expect another 4-5 years
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
As Brent indicated above, the Rinehart 18-1 is a very nice, durable target if you don't want a 3D animal target.  If your looking at 3D's be aware that the Rinehart Broadhead buck, is very small compared to most other deer targets.  They say it is supposed to be a 100 pound deer but I just don't see it.  That being said, it is a wonderful target in true Rinehart fashion.  

I have a few Rineharts, several R&Ws, and a Delta Elite Antelope that I like quite a bit as well.  I don't care for the Glendel that I have due to the plastic legs, the way it goes together, the type of foam material used, and the skinny top lid piece.  Unless they have changed these, I will not own another one.
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 11:34:00 AM »
The best and longest lasting target I have ever had was self made.    I used cardboard panels cut @ 15" x 30", stacked about 3" high.  The stack of cardboard was sandwiched between a top and bottom wooden frame, compressed by a threaded rod on each side.    Over time the cardboard can be 'shuffled' to prevent wearing a spot out, and the rods can be tightened for more stopping power. Total initial cost for everything was @ $150.  When the cardboard is pretty much spent, that is the only cost to make it just like new.  It isn't 3d , or very portable, but for around the house is pretty nice.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 04:49:00 PM »
I would get the best quality I can for the available money. I like Rinehart. Also, get the species you plan to hunt most frequently. For example, if all you hunt is deer, don't get a bear target. Also, get a target that reflects the average size animal you are most likely to find in your hunting area so that you practice the most likely shot you will encounter while hunting. For form work, it is also good to have a flat target.
Sam

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »
I think I'm going to go with the Rinehart. I'll be at Cabela's next week so I can check one out in person.

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 09:27:00 PM »
I made about 8 bag targets out of burlap sacks stuffed with old shopping grocery bags. I set them up in the woods and walk around shooting them.  Covered one with an old black sweatshirt for a 'bear' target....works good!

Dan

Offline Ken Sorg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 01:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by BWallace10327:
I won (lucky day) the traditional class at a small local shoot last weekend and received a Rhinehart 18-1.  I'm having a blast with it, and I'll bet I get >2 years out of it.
I've had the same 18-1 since they cam out and it still stops arrows! It is pretty much shot in half,,,but we'll worth the cost!

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 03:56:00 AM »
I also say Bulldog.  Lifetime warranty and that's with the intention of today's compound bows and the wear and tear they will put on a target.  With trad equipment the target will last and last only will ever need to replace the cover and that's only a few bucks.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 08:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by oldrubline:
I made about 8 bag targets out of burlap sacks stuffed with old shopping grocery bags. I set them up in the woods and walk around shooting them.  Covered one with an old black sweatshirt for a 'bear' target....works good!

Dan
I did the same thing with plastic postal sacks tied to saplings along a short circular trail that I can shoot both directions. Since I made my bag course I rarely shoot my range targets.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©