3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Important lessons learned through a chronograph  (Read 1557 times)

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Important lessons learned through a chronograph
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 04:13:00 PM »
That's right! As we said earlier let's keep the Arch in archery..!!  Chronographs are very useful tools, Knowing your arrow speed is just one of them...
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
I've had a lot of fun with my chronograph as well.  It made a difference in one bow in about 30 or so that I've owned.  

I dumped that bow because it was horrendous.  I didn't need a chronograph to know it though. I could tell at 13 yards with my point on test that it was under performing.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
Rod Jenkins has mentioned this on the "shooting tips" section of his site (www.safarituff.com)for years.  You can easily pick up 6-12 fps with a proper release technique.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
Hard to argue with Rod Jenkins..!! Just take what he says and applying to your bows...!!!  Trust me guys, it's Grand fun with your own chronograph and your own stuff!.....!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 11:19:00 AM »
Good post.

I was wondering if using a tab versus glove made a noticeable difference?
Thanks,
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
Curiously, we were all shooting gloves!  Truthfully a tab probably woild be minoscully faster due to a clean single point release. But needs some research.

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 03:24:00 PM »

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 03:53:00 PM »
Curiously, we were all shooting gloves!  Truthfully a tab probably woild be minoscully faster due to a clean single point release. But needs some research.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »
Well John just to correct a few tings. The widow was 53lbs it was mine, the drawl length was 27 not 27.5 it was mine, I have a pull threw release I do not pause, it was a Indian Savage 50lbs that was mine, and one of us used a tab Matt, and cronys are a lot of fun and a very usefull tool it was mine and anyone is welcome to shoot over it. That was a cool post buddy just had to correct a few things LOL.    Widow

Offline Hankem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »
Flight shooters will consistently get higher speeds than a an archer that anchors , holds, and then releases the shaft.....

The only accurate way to test one bow vs the other is using a shooting machine....That tells you what the bow is doing, the rest is up to the archer.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 01:18:00 AM »
Chrono is a great device to learn some bow physics. An interesting thing for me is to shoot through a chrono to a remote target trying to hit it( real shot) and best with first shot ( cold shot).
This way you may have the the hugiest surprises: if you are a tad overbowed the cold shot test is terrible as you will find that if you ad the effect of underdrawing and a frozen release of a too heavy bow  against full draw and slick release of a lighter one you feel immediately comfy with, most of the time arrow is faster and moreover more accurate with the lighter bow...
Though a light fast bow will always be faster than the same weight slow bow for same archer
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2016, 06:27:00 AM »
Sorry Darren...There was a lot of info to retain and Digest. ButLike I said, it was a non-scientific test... so by and large I got the proper point across I guess.  .Glad the chrony was there....made for a great day of shooting.......Feel free to add any other points of that days shooting... tried to remember them all but can't......all good.........Wass going to name some names, but thought I should not........But glad you chimed in....

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »
One way I check for consistent release is by shooting Technohunt...the machine is capable of measuring the speed of every arrow that you shoot and gives you a printout at the end...I consider that if I am getting the same velocity at the end of a 40 arrow shooting session that I was at the beginning then I am not overbowed

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »
I was very impressed with my own consistency during one session.  I was running most shots only one or two fps apart.  But, every now and then there would be a shot that ran six or seven fps high.  Naturally, I attributed the variations to the Chrony.   :)  

Now, after reflecting on this topic, I realize that my consistent release is horrible and the high shots were me accidentally making a good release.   :biglaugh:  

The dilemma; do I try to perfect the release or try to make every shot release consistently horrible?

Gonna try not to think about it any more.   :cool:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
This arrow was too light to even get into the area where you would see a real difference in performance as the "high performance" bows are more optimized for heavier arrows. That does not always mean big differences in speed with lighter arrows. And release can make about 10 fps easily.
More interesting would have been, what your rigs did in comparison with each other in relation to what gpp each of you shoots with a matched arrow.
Will one bow shoot an 11gpp as fast as the other with 9gpp? Will the bow with the shorter draw and heavier arrow outshoot another bow with a longer draw and a lighter arrow?
Were some of the bows laid up and tillered for a specific draw length?

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
Well guys when I shoot a arrow and I can't  catch it  well it's fast  enough for me . Keep the arch in archery
Dan Breen

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »
Velocity was the least important lesson learned on that day! Differences in draw length And release were the important ones.!!As I stated earlier some of us did go back later and shot our normal hunting arrows. We basically lost 8 to 10 feet per second over that light arrow. Lots of information to be gleaned from over a chronograph.......light. s. heavy arrow velocity.....release differences....etc.....it was all good.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©