3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead grouping 3v2  (Read 675 times)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead grouping 3v2
« on: May 16, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
just shooting yesterday and I really don't use anything but BHeads in practice anymore. Only use field points when playing with tip weight.
bow is Schafer silvertip 64" 55@28

Question/scenario @ 15 yards --

I take 5 arrows with 2 blade heads, 160 grizzly with 100 adapters.
Then 5 VPA 3 blades 250 grain screw ins.
I shoot one grizzles then one VPA alternating - -

The grizzlies group on the bulls eye, the 3 blades group about 4/5 inches high of the grizzles?

:archer2:  

anyone seen similar?

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead grouping 3v2
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
Its called planing.Three blades create more lift. Use the ones that hit where your field points do.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 09:42:00 AM »
You need to tune the bow with target points and your broadhead of choice.  Different broadheads will react and plane differently.

Like TJ said, shoot the ones that group with the broadheads.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »
Or, just shoot ONLY the ones you want to use and get used to where they hit.  Different arrows fly differently.  That right there is a really good example of why we should shoot the set ups we want to use, at the very least, to ensure it hits where we think it is gonna hit.
ChuckC

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 12:11:00 PM »
like TJ & Mike said, you want field points and BH's to fly the same.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »
Yeah field points went with the grizzles, I have used grizzles a long time. I figured it was just a design flight deal.

Should have said axis 400s too.

Think I'll switch it up to RMS cutthroats though.
Always be stubborn.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
Multi-blade heads and wide heads can give a man so many tuning headaches..I've been real happy with the grizzly two blade and haven't had to worry about perfect tuning as much. Not
That I throw it too the wind but it's less of a worry with more forgiving heads.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »
ALL by Bhead go to the SAME SPOT.

Zwickey Delta 4 blades, Zwickey No Mercy 4 blades, Abowyer Bone Buster wide 2 blades, WWS, Instinct, Zephry Sasquatches, Centaur Battle Axes, Badger 2 blades, Snuffers, Grizzlies.....I can go on and on ....these all range from 175 to 225 grains.  I have NO reservations picking ANY head I want with ANY bow I want and the arrow NOT going where I'm looking.  ALL are riding on the SAME arrow....Arrow Dynamic Trads..... even Charlie Lambs mag 2 4 blades

So do my field points and Judos...and my crazy Clarks Broadheads.

You are borderline spine.....or miss tuned somewhere.  NO reason they should not fly to the same spot at 25 yards unless something is amiss....

Sorry to go against the grain, but I'd trade heads with anyone and prove it.....done it more than once.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 07:24:00 PM »
try some vpa 2 blades, i just got some and they fly right where im looking same as field points.
aim small miss small

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
Raise your nock point just a little and shoot the groups again. It is a tuning issue.  The larger the broadhead the harder it is for the fletching to correct it.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 08:06:00 PM »

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 08:20:00 PM »
Planning is not just a tuning issue..... it can be one of many form flaws or due to wind ....if you have good form and your bow is tuned it takes a heck of a wind to make a solid head plane.....

Again, I've killed enough Hogs and deer in windy situations in Texas and elsewhere with wide four blade head to prove this is the case..... there's also a Fletching combination with your head that makes a difference in the Wind... again with your head of choice

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »
Everyone is different, however I've found the same as Terry. In all my set ups I use arrows of proper spine with sufficient fletch (mine are a touch more than sufficient  :D  ) and find I can use any broadhead I want with out anything changing with my shooting.

Though I tend to keep everything in my quiver very closely matched for weight, I will shoot a 125 gr. head right in there with 160's without a hesitation and get good accuracy.

It's also true of switching from multi-blade to a single blade head.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
ALL by Bhead go to the SAME SPOT.

Zwickey Delta 4 blades, Zwickey No Mercy 4 blades, Abowyer Bone Buster wide 2 blades, WWS, Instinct, Zephry Sasquatches, Centaur Battle Axes, Badger 2 blades, Snuffers, Grizzlies.....I can go on and on ....these all range from 175 to 225 grains.  I have NO reservations picking ANY head I want with ANY bow I want and the arrow NOT going where I'm looking.  ALL are riding on the SAME arrow....Arrow Dynamic Trads..... even Charlie Lambs mag 2 4 blades

So do my field points and Judos...and my crazy Clarks Broadheads.

You are borderline spine.....or miss tuned somewhere.  NO reason they should not fly to the same spot at 25 yards unless something is amiss....

Sorry to go against the grain, but I'd trade heads with anyone and prove it.....done it more than once.
No bossman what I wanted to hear - I like getting to the roots - - if I am doing something off then so be it! I dang sure aint the best! I am grouping like great all of em - cutting feathers but the 3s seem to stay high and the 2s stay "low" though on target.

I am going to try bare shaft field points this evening - though I have not ever done this really? got the idea of playing with my setup after watching the "push video the man posted on the forums.

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 09:47:00 AM »
Also went higher in weight as the lower weights were giving some funky off flight?? release maybe? again I aint perfect but not to new either, just playing with setup trying to get really tuned in. will bare shaft with all different weight field points. just to see.

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 10:48:00 AM »
I have always found that a 3 blade will be effected by "something" more so than a 2 blade.  Be it bad spine, wind, torqueing the grip or bad release.  I found this to be true no matter what kind of bow you shoot.  I like to rule out bad shots so I have settled on a 2 blade.  I am really liking my flight with the VPA.
T ZZZZ

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
If the heads are made right and you tune and spin test. Check the point and the knock. They should all hit the same, your arrow should be spinning and that stabilises the flight. If the heads are not spinning true that will effect it. If the spine is off that will effect it. Tune, spin test, and tune agin.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by AZ_Longbow:
If the heads are made right and you tune and spin test. Check the point and the knock. They should all hit the same, your arrow should be spinning and that stabilises the flight. If the heads are not spinning true that will effect it. If the spine is off that will effect it. Tune, spin test, and tune agin.
yep... anything else is just an excuse

I can post plenty of pictures of three blades that went exactly where the rest of my heads went where they were two blades or four blades.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
Terry,
Coincidence, I was just outside shooting my AD trad shafts before sitting down to read tradgang. During tonight's session I was playing with two different weight broadheads to see which one was more accurate and if the lighter one was flatter. I was using a screw in 3 blade 200 and a 2 blade grizzly weighted to 265 grains. (the latter is my usual setup). They hit the same at 20 yards or so. The lighter one was maybe a little flatter after that. I think so anyhow. I can't tell too much. The heavier one seemed a bit crisper flight.
I think I got a little strike plate rub with the lighter one.
That big grizzly is real accurate.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »
One of my final tests is a big magnus MA1. If that hits with my fieldpoints I know I have done my job. After that I launch cutthroats, grizzlys, VPAs, maximums. As long as they are within 15gr weight of each other the hit the same. FYI I learned to shoot the broadheads first, then a fieldpoint and only one of each at a time or you cut carbons. Now it took time and alot of paper and arrow saw work. But I am happy and confident now.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©