3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: lack of traditional shows?  (Read 631 times)

Offline sticks&stringz

• Trad Bowhunter
lack of traditional shows?
« on: May 16, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »
so i recently emerged into the trad world and quickly realized the extreme lack of traditional hunting videos/shows on tv. i was watching the RMEF hunting show last night and happened to catch an episode where a trad guy was hunting bull elk.he didn't manage to kill a bull even though he had 3-4 opportunities and a few missed shots at them.and i seemed to feel like i had more in common with the show than the shows with guys shooting deer and elk at 70+ yards with compounds.i used to be one of those guys and now i realize how much of hunting i'm missing when i'm taking long shots on deer.my first bow kill was last year at ten yards after contant missing at longer ranges due to the deer hearing me and ducking the arrow and it was so exciting because i watched that arrow go through him and could see blood pumping right away,at long range you miss those details and excitement.i enjoyed the show more than any other episode of any show i have ever seen. it made me wonder why more people don't have trad shows. the only one i can think of is fed eichler and Easton bowhunting. is it that hard to have a show on the outdoor channel? is there not enough trad guys out there to record and produce hunting videos/shows of trad bow kills?
browning medallion 38#@28
carsage 45#@28
superjet 45#@28
homemade/custom ilf bow 45-50#@28

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: lack of traditional shows?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 06:58:00 PM »
I thought you were talking about Expo type shows. I can't afford any more of them   :D
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »
A couple years ago there was an editorial in "Buckmasters" mag that brought up the same thing.....  the editor stated that the 'success' rate was too low and the 'shooters/hunters' didn't have the time to commit to learning and staying proficient with traditional gear.  There was a response to the editors reply that was very well put and I cannot do it justice from memory, but in a nutshell said HOGWASH!

Good luck, shoot straight and God Bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 07:07:00 PM »
Traditional hunting shows would be full of good times and failed stalks, and that does not sell new tech. To many of the new breed hunters only care about tech toys and antlers. They pay millions for the newest bows every year. The best rangefinder, sights, stabilizers, strings,dropaway rests, mechanical release, mechanical broadheads. To many feel a hunt is only good if you kill, or even worse if its not a record animal it was a waste of time.
I shoot traditional  gear with compound hunters, most of them like the idea if the old bows. Yet they are to scared they will miss the chance at some trophy at 80yards.
I have have nothing against wheelbow hunters, I just Judge my success different than most of them.
I tempt the ones I can with traditional gear. The rest, we just shoot what we like.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
It's all about "sponsors"... There's no money in traditional bow hunting. Folks make thier own gear, shoot the same bows for years, and simply don't try to "buy" thier way to success. Just look at the Super Bowl!!! A 4 hour show, for a hour long football game... It's all about the commercials!  :(
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
Fred Eichler proved that you can make an entertaining show with trad gear...

But that didn't sell enough stuff which is why Hoyt requires him to hunt with the compound some if he wants to keep his sponsorship.

I like Fred, but even his shows have become a little too "commercial" for me more recently.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
We here at tradgang are making an attempt to promote shows by making the trad events forum an archived read only forum and allowing trad events and shoot threads on the powwow for more exposure to generate more interest in traditional functions.

And I am talking about traditional shoots and events
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
I liked Fred's show when he was shooting his Palmer recurve. Bowhunter Magazine use to have a show where I think it was Mike Carney and Dwight Shue would hunt with recurves.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
Money and cash.  But they have no idea what a 15 yd. shot can  do. Don't fight them but don't join them. I've been there I personally like close.  Bob
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 08:50:00 PM »
I actually really miss Tred Barta's show.  I think a lot of us are more like him than we care to admit.  He definitely was all about the adventure, and everything he did was from his heart and soul.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »
The overall answer and it's been mentioned here already is very simple.  "Follow the money!"

Actually these shows are no different than the fishing shows now and in the past.  They are outdoor shows of course, whether oriented towards bow hunters or anglers, but the shows are designed as infomercials, not so much about the sport itself.

In fact in my younger days I truly enjoyed the fishing shows until this concept had gotten so bad that not only were many of the shows totally focused on the sponsor's products, each show many times became totally focused on touting one specific lure or one specific piece of equipment.

Now, the hunting shows have simply followed a proven pattern to sell product.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 07:26:00 AM »
There are several accomplished trad bowhunters who are making excellent videos and distributing them online. Clay Hayes comes to mind instantly. I'd post some links to his and others, but I don't want to run afoul of the prohibition on external links.

When it comes to recruiting new members to our ranks, I think we longbeards should pay some attention to where younger generations are actually getting their entertainment. It's all about online content for them, and they really aren't inclined to watch TV in the usual way. If you want to reach them, the Internet is the most effective means, with Youtube and the like.

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 09:36:00 AM »
Like others have said it's all about the Benjamin's. I can't stand to watch 98% of the tv shows out there. None of them are realistic to me. Everyone is sitting on a food plot and watching untold number of nice bucks parade by and when the Hunter decides to shoot one, most of them are hit " a little far back " Gut shot. The hole time they are showing all the guys high fiveing and chest thumping.

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 10:37:00 AM »
I would consider myself in the younger generation of traditional bowhunters. I mainly hunt and shoot with traditional but also hunt and shoot a compound. I enjoy both so I can't see giving one up for the other.  Over the last couple of years I watch 99% of my hunting videos and shows online. Vimeo.com has alot of well made videos, as does youtube. The outdoor channel and others wouldn't exist if they couldn't sell us something.

Gabe

Offline Mike Faith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »
Hello everyone! New here and glad to be here! As one who left traditional ways for wheel bows for some time, I didn't realize how much I had lost sight of just enjoying the process of the hunt, it became more about gadgets and gizmoes! Glad to be back enjoying my longbow and the mystical flight of the arrow. I enjoyed spring turkey this year more than any season in a long time, even though there was no harvested bird, I still experienced this wonderful creation on a much more personal and intimate way!! My point being, all the hype created by the techy side of the hunting industry causes many to join the race of fastest, newest, etc, I lost sight of why I was truly drawn to the woods, it wasn't gadgets! So true, follow the money!
focusing on the problem is not a solution-anonymous

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
Like everyone said, the revenue has to be there, for a network to pay.  It cost a LOT of Money to film, edit a show for tv.  I pitched an idea I had few years back to a few networks (not just sporting).  My concept was to role history of archery into a show, like take a hunt from an archery legend, and have it re enacted, and rolling some history and concepts. I was told would be interesting but though they know the people are there, the revenue of sponsors are not.  Air Ad time is where the money has to come from for a show to succeed.  I then replied with an overview of how easy it could be to do 5 seasons with no repeats, and the influence it would have.  Still no deal.  I am still trying to figure out, how to get a series even if just DVD of some of the legends (Bob Wesley, John Schulz, Wensel brothers, Ron Laclair, and many more who are members here)still among us to record the information for our future

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 01:19:00 PM »
toddster that would be worth watching. I hope you can do it. I know I would purchase something like that.

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »
As an insider in the outdoor industry I can tell you all any hunting program is a commercial.  To many people fail to recognize that.  What makes a good show is when.we enjoy watching the commercial.  The ones with subtil and suggestive endorsement vs cram it down your throat will always get my vote.  As far as trad how many truly good bowyer's need a longer waiting list?  If they did then sponsorship would be a good option but when was the last time you got a, Blackwidow, Silvertip, Talltines, or such in two weeks.  Yes there are guys out there who are capable of producing both the technical and in the field side of things but until the dollars are there it's likely not happening.  The only way it would is through assesories and gear.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »
I think everyone is looking at this from the wrong perspective. It's all how the show is marketed. You assume that the only networks are the hunting/outdoor channels. What about shows like Sasquatch, mountain man? What is he pushing? And Mountain Man on the history channel? Some of the Sitka films and others on Vimeo, and other ideas mentioned above, could certainly be marketed as quality entertainment or a sort of "reality" type show. It just needs to be presented in the right light to the right person.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »
There is only one that I care to see and that's Easton's by Fred E. In fact, it is my favorite of all outdoor hunting shows.

Frankly, if a trad show was going to be anything like what most of the compound shows are, I hope they don't do em.  

Only 11% of archers are using recurves or longbows so probably not enough eyes for the tube.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©