3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for a hunt - advice  (Read 563 times)

Offline Irish Girl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Remember, it’s about the journey
Looking for a hunt - advice
« on: May 16, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
I am thinking about a hunt this fall.  I have not been able to get to hunt much for a couple years.  Divorce, work, life.  The fire flickered to get out, but it is back.  Understanding that I am a 65 year old female at 142 lbs.  I only can pull about 45 at 28" (max).   I really can't hunt by myself anymore.  Safety and age being the most overriding concerns.  So...where and when?  I would like to go in the fall, not big on cold weather and would like to stay on the ground (no high stands).   Suggestions?
Marsha Riley

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for a hunt - advice
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 07:56:00 PM »
I see you are in Kansas.  Are you asking in General? Were you looking for a  destination hunt or trip?

I would check out Hunt Wild Things, email Andrew about options at his lease.

Good luck!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
Whitetails in Kansas is pretty hard to beat!

There are some great walk-in hunting areas in Kansas too!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 09:39:00 PM »
Life has a way of stepping doesn't it Marsha?? I'm with ya lock step....hang in there as time will help.

X2 on Wild Things. Estill is not to be missed and Andrew is a true gentleman. Stand hunting (tree stand or the ground) or spot and stalk.....take your pick depending on how you are feeling. Happy to answer any questions you might have. Check it out on Facebook or at his website.  www.huntwildthings.com

Take care and good luck.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 10:08:00 PM »
Maybe you could do a group hunt, call them up and post it here. How could you not fill a group!

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »
You have about 2 weeks to get your application in for Wyoming antelope.  You need a couple of preference points to draw the special tag where we are hunting.  Eastern Wyoming tags are easier to come by.  I am not hunting there this year and not going to be much help to you for that area.
 I am going to Texas next week to sign up another ranch for hog hunts. We are booked up for now but I should have more January - March dates available after this expedition.  Regards

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
Irish Girl, I would recommend that you do a little research for ground hunting. People our age often just don't do well in tree stands, and it is not difficult to build a brush blind. A leafy suit would also be a good idea.

I went fishing in the North Georgia mountains over the weekend and fell on the rocks, so I am still bummed up now. I hurt my knee and my wrist and am still not quite over shoulder surgery in February. I am feeling very, very cautious regarding safety right now. Therefore, a group hunt as suggested by rraming would also be a good idea. Since I have never been to Kansas, I have no suggestions as to locations or guide service, etc. Good luck.
Sam

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 10:53:00 AM »
Marsha:

I will be 67 next month and like you, shoot a 45# longbow and recurve.  However, with a scary sharp broadhead, you can kill most anything in North America.  If you are concerned about elevated stands, like said above, hunt from the ground.  Having fallen from a tree stand about 15 years ago and fortunately no permanent damage, I still climb into tree stands however, I now use a ladder with a platform to step directly into my  tree stand.

If you want a fun hunt, try a Canadian Spring Bear hunt.  If you go in late May or early June the weather is better but the skeeters and biting flies will require a thermacell.

Best of luck.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Flying Dogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 12:48:00 PM »
I would second on the Canadian Spring Bear hunt. A good outfitters can provide a ground blind and many offer full guided service to have a guide with you if you are not comfortable being left alone. As mentioned preparing for the bugs necessary.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »
You might want to try a winter javelina or hog hunt in Texas.  I have been doing it for over 15 years now.  It is a nice winter "get away" and the weather is usually in the 60's and over.  No tree stands or blinds, just stalking an a lot of fun.

Online Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 02:20:00 PM »
I agree with acolobowhunter.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 02:33:00 PM »
You can get a over the counter antelope tag in Colorado.  No tree stand worries cause trees and antelope don't often go together.   :)  

A portable blind at a water hole or a fence crossing can be effective.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 04:00:00 PM »
Agree with the winter Javelina hunting.

Offline Lady Frost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 12:04:00 PM »
I think Sam is right, Marsha.  A ground blind or a leafy suit are good options. I have a 35# bow and most people I meet say that if I really fling that arrow, I could take game with it.  I am in your shoes, divorce, work, life tends to get in my way too.  Go to 3D shoots, I met a lot of great people at those including a lot of female hunters.  We are hoping to go on an all female hunting trip in the future.  Take things slow, be patient and it will happen.  Here in GA our autumns are definitely warmer, and we don't have much of a winter.  We rarely see snow.  If you know anyone with a little bit of land, you can ask them if you can hunt on it.  Good luck.
My cup runneth over

Traditional Bowhunters of GA
North GA Traditional Archery Club
South GA Traditional Archery and Primitive Skills Club

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 02:46:00 PM »
Not to repeat myself, but javelina hunting can really be fun.  Take at least a dozen arrows and a few extra broadheads.  Seems every night we are repairing and re-sharpening arrows.  Don't give up when the sun goes down, take a headlight and keep hunting.  Many times the "pigs" shift to night feeding and you can really get close, IF you play the wind correctly.  
Have fun - check out some of the websites for javelina hunting.

I have been hunting the same ranch for over 15 years now and have become good friends with those folks.  A nice gift after the hunt, usually assures you can go again.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
WY antelope hunt can be a lot of fun and not a high stress hunt with physical demands.  Good recommendation from MO Sherpa
T ZZZZ

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
There are a bunch of opportunities around the west and south for javelina, pigs, pronghorn, and Canadian bears.  All of them can be hunted with limited physical exertion and danger.   There is no reason at all that one or several of these could be pursued within the next year for reasonable cost
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
Marsha,
You and I already hunted Andrew's place way before  it was Wild Things.  I'm now in Aiken, SC all fall, winter, and spring.  So if you want to set up a time next year, You are welcome to fly into August, GA and we could go down together...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 05:32:00 PM »
Javelina are a good choice and bears also. I'll be hunting deer in your home state on public land this year

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »
A few folks here mentioned Wild Things. I sent Andrew an email about this thread a few days ago, and he called me last night with this to say.

If four or so women would like to come hunt together, he would close off a week for a ladies-only hunt.

For anyone who hasn't been to the new camp, the bunkhouse is just for the hunters, and it has two full bathrooms with the showers running off a tankless hot water system. Andrew has his own quarters over the lodge, so the bunkhouse would be all yours for the entirety of your trip.

All hunts in Aug - Dec are combo deer and hog hunts. If hunters want to hunt bucks and does they need to buy a Big Game license on top of the base license. Jan - May is hunting for hogs only.

All meals, transportation on the property, tracking/skinning/quartering, etc are provided. It's a "just show up and hunt" kind of place.

There will be several permanent blinds done before the next season starts. A few popup blinds can be put out if requested, advanced notice appreciated. All other stands are sturdy ladder stands between 8' and 12' tall.

If that sounds interesting to anyone you can contact Andrew via the website, also the schedule for next season is posted there. Of course you can PM or email me too, I'm happy to answer general questions about the property and accommodations.
Thom

Oh, here is that link:    huntwildthings.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©