3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Staying Trad  (Read 838 times)

Offline actionjackson22

• Trad Bowhunter
Staying Trad
« on: May 16, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
I've had a tough time lately sticking with trad. bows. I only own a longbow but with working 50+ hours a week church board/youth group and we have a 13 month old and another due in July I've had a hard time finding time to shoot. But I tell you what I just cant quit. I was looking for compounds online and I just couldn't even look at them. I went out back and mind you I haven't shot in about two weeks and shot pretty good. Consistency was off but I had a few really good hits and it helped me to stay traditional.
Jesus saves!
Galaxy Ember longbow 60" 55#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#
PSE blackhawk 60" 45#

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Staying Trad
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
Stick with it... as long as it's fun!

Like with most things, if you stick with it long enough, you'll have a moment where things kind of click, and then it will get easier!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    

Stick with it as long as you are having fun!

Bisch

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
I've been there, and know exactly the struggle you speak of.  Stick with it, and make the most of what time you do have.  When life was more hectic for me than it is now, I would do a lot of one shot sessions.  I'd leave my bow by the back door and when I had a free minute I'd open up the slider, step out on the porch and shoot one arrow at my target.  That right there really helped me focus on making everything right for that one shot, which is 99% of every hunting shot.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
I get the same way. I work my full time job and all the side jobs I can get this time of year, plus try to spend an hour or two working out several days a week, then spending time with the family.. I just make it a point to shoot every day though, even if only a few arrows. If I have time I shoot more. For me, the first few good groups I shot with my recurve I knew right then my compounds wouldn't be seeing much action. If I can connect with a deer this year my compounds will be for sale the same day. I guess I'm just waiting to prove to myself I can do it. But if you're enjoying it don't give it up!!

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 09:11:00 PM »
Good advice above, it would probably help a lot of us to have shorter but higher quality shooting time. Often I shoot better when I have not been shooting for a few weeks.
With that said, it seems you have your priorities in order.
Good luck with your decisions.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »
Shoot 1 shot a day if that's all you can do it only takes a minute and can really help. Glad you are having fun!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 09:31:00 PM »
I am in your shoes right now! I am religious about shooting though, I get at least a few in each day unless work gets me at the station and I don't get home in time. Suffered a slight shoulder injury as well couple months ago that put me down, first time for that too. Pulled muscle nothing terrible but seemed to be a main bow pulling muscle! Go figure!

FORM! First day back shooting was comical at best! I just started at my 25 yard mark as usual! Wrong - had to move in a touch!; I realized I needed to concentrate on form over accuracy. This was just this past week. Been shooting every day at least once.

Keep it simple - concentrate on form, shoot 10/12 yards? Just be more form conscious - the bullseye will follow.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
When I first started shooting trad bows, I had a stressful life like you describe.  I first started shooting compounds for something to do with the kids, but I found that twiddling with all those adjustments just added to my stress.  The simple act of shooting a trad bow was a great stress reliever, and I never looked back.  At this point in your life, look at the process of shooting a trad bow for the benefits you can derive from it, more than the goal of reaching a certain level of expertise.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
Right there with all you guys on all points .. But I did one thing different I guess , when I decided to get a longbow I completely sold off all my compound stuff so I had no other option but to shoot my longbow it has deff payed off !! Keep with it its all going to click one day !
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 08:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by McDave:
When I first started shooting trad bows, I had a stressful life like you describe.  I first started shooting compounds for something to do with the kids, but I found that twiddling with all those adjustments just added to my stress.  The simple act of shooting a trad bow was a great stress reliever, and I never looked back.  At this point in your life, look at the process of shooting a trad bow for the benefits you can derive from it, more than the goal of reaching a certain level of expertise.
I have a leadership role at a pretty high performance demanding company, one little mistake could cost millions.   :knothead:  The last two years have been really demanding and stressful. The amount of concentration it takes to shoot 3-5 arrows into a plate slows the world down, and I have forgotten about the stressful day!   :archer:

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 08:45:00 AM »
I guess I don't understand why it's a struggle to stay with traditional archery. You said you love it and shoot well. So what's the problem?

We all wish we had more time to shoot but that doesn't mean a drastic equipment change is considered.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
IMO,,,,you need to shoot any bow a lot to get peak performance while hunting. It shouldn't matter whether a compound or trad bow, lots of practice is needed to close the deal with either bow if you expect to cleanly kill while under the throws and effects of adrenaline....otherwise you miss or miss hit no matter the bow. This is one beef I have with many modern bow users. They wait until 2 weeks before season to see if the sights are on, and think that is good enough. Compound or not physical, mental, and muscle memory is still needed and should be developed with either bow. I agree with above..if you have time to have fun with it, why change to a compound?

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »
So I see you bought a compound.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 01:17:00 AM »
It's a positive thing that you're vocalizing your thoughts / doubts / desires about shooting traditional archery vs more modern equipment.

One thing that may help is the implementation of solid form and anchor as well as a repeatable aiming system. This historically helps lessen the accuracy loss when life gets in the way of practice sessions.

Good luck with your journey and stick with it as long as it's still fun.

Shoot straight,
Matt

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
A short session of only 20 or so arrows a day can be a very effective training regimen without taxing the daily schedule too heavily. Just be closely observant of good form and picking the spot. Shooting a million arrows is only effective as long as good form and concentration are maintained; otherwise, you have simply flung a million arrows somewhere down range. Many archers shoot relatively few arrows at a time but manage to be effective. Just keep it fun.
Sam

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 09:25:00 AM »
In the winter I regularly shoot in my house, garage.  You can work on form especially.  Some days it is only a few shots.  I think it more closely represents what would happen when actually hunting-  sitting for hours and have to make one shot count.  

But when I get the chance like this past Monday, I will spend a couple of hours trying different bows, tabs, arrows - love those days.

I did have  times in my life where my priority had to be my wife and/or my kids, and archery was put on the shelf for awhile.  That is life, keep your priorities in order.  Time pressures will change.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
Action- I feel your pain, I work 50 hours a week, then teach on weekends.  What I have found that works for me, is when I get home, the first thing I do, is grab my quiver and bow.  I shoot just a quiver full of arrows.  Distance doesn't matter as much as form to me.  I find this makes me concentrate more on perfect shot, and relaxes and lets the "stress" of work go away before going in.  When rains, just a few shots in garage works.  
I know time is precious, but stay with it, as long as fun, you owe it to no one but yourself.

Offline EWill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »
I needed this bit of a kick in the pants.
The town I live in won't allow us to shoot in the city limits and the local range is 20 mins. away. Not overly far but at the end of my usual work day I'm beat. I do shoot in my garage at times but that gets boring really fast, really boring.
What I need to remember is that while boring I am still working on my form, muscle memory, and stamina.
Thanks for the reminder.
"It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Romans 9:16 (NIV)

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 07:21:00 PM »
EWill, form is the first thing to go downhill when you take a break from shooting.  So boring as it may be, if you're able to work form in your garage you're keeping the most important thing up to snuff.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©