3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Seeking advice on USPS shipping damage  (Read 901 times)

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
Seeking advice on USPS shipping damage
« on: May 17, 2016, 07:28:00 AM »
Gang,
I figure this or worse has happened to someone and I'd like to get some advice on making a claim. I did insure it although not for replacement cost, my fault. I sent a bow to a friend for him to try out and the tube became bent in the process which did atad of damage to the bow. I'm in North Idaho and the bow is in Louisiana.
Here are some pics. All advice is appreciated. The damage is on the riser section of the bow limb, non working part. Looks to be shootable still. First time I've ever had a damaged tube.

64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Seeking advice on USPS shipping damage
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 07:32:00 AM »

64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 07:47:00 AM »
How in the world could they have bent that pvc like that?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 08:10:00 AM »
How much did you insure it for?  That will be the maximum you will get for damage reimbursement.  If the bow is straight and shootable, with no detectable structural damage, maybe you can get a refinishing quote from the bowyer and put in a claim for that amount.  But I would inspect the bow very closely for potential damage, and if it looks OK I'd put a lot of shots through it and check it over to make sure it's structurally sound.  If damaged, process your claim for the amount to repair or replace the bow.  But as I said before, most you'll get is what you insured it for.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 08:14:00 AM »
If it can be done, they will do it. Damage looks cosmetic. Would be difficult evaluating it. And, proving the bent tube caused it. If it is still shootable, maybe best approach would be to just give the buyer a rebate if acceptable to him. The hassle with the USPS might not be worth the aggravation. Good luck.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 08:19:00 AM »
Round tubes roll off conveyors and airport trucks, causing the packages to get jammed in machinery and run over by trucks and wagons.

A cardboard box over the tube fixes the problem.

You may need to get the Bowyer to give you a written estimate of the cost of repair/ refinishing and turn the claim into the post office. If they turn you down, keep after them.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 08:32:00 AM »
Yep, I'd make a claim for the cost to have bowyer inspect and refinish bow if still shootable
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »
I accepted claims as part of my job for about twenty five years.

Everything has to be taken into the PO when claim is filed.  I don't think you will have any problem getting a partial claim accepted, given the damage to the tube. Only issue I see is if there was not sufficient packaging around the bow on the inside of the tube.

Make sure it is cosmetic damage only.  If so get a couple of quotes from bowyers to refinish and submit that with claim.  I think Allen Pope (Blacktail) and Allen Boice (Liberty )  might be helpful.

Good luck,
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 10:21:00 AM »
The bow was packed in a sleeve and with bubble wrap. I didn't sell the bow, just lending it out for him to try to see if he liked the style. It's a Toelke Super D. I'll fill out the online form and go from there. I appreciate all the advice, thanks!
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »
It may be a bit after the fact, but I would take pictures of the bow exactly the way it was wrapped when it came out of the tube.  Improper packaging is the leg they may try to stand on in denying a claim.  You want to have documentation that you did everything you could have to properly protect the bow.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 06:00:00 PM »
I accepted claims as part of my job for about twenty five years.

Everything has to be taken into the PO when claim is filed.  I don't think you will have any problem getting a partial claim accepted, given the damage to the tube. Only issue I see is if there was not sufficient packaging around the bow on the inside of the tube.

Make sure it is cosmetic damage only.  If so get a couple of quotes from bowyers to refinish and submit that with claim.  I think Allen Pope (Blacktail) and Allen Boice (Liberty )  might be helpful.

Good luck,
Gary

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 07:07:00 PM »
Looks like it would wipe right off

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »
Dan charges $125 for a refinish, sent him one today.  I'd try and at least get that, maybe a touch more to cover shippibg.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 10:35:00 PM »
Looks like they stamped the tube damaged also. It is stamped received in damaged condition. I'll talk with Dan and see what he has to say
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 12:10:00 AM »
How much did you insure it for?  That will be the maximum you will get for damage reimbursement.  If the bow is straight and shootable, with no detectable structural damage, maybe you can get a refinishing quote from the bowyer and put in a claim for that amount.  But I would inspect the bow very closely for potential damage, and if it looks OK I'd put a lot of shots through it and check it over to make sure it's structurally sound.  If damaged, process your claim for the amount to repair or replace the bow.  But as I said before, most you'll get is what you insured it for.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
long tubes no matter the material are prone to damage.  I had schedule 40 tubes broke in half a couple of times when shipping one piece bows.

I was told they get caught in the corner of a conveyor and hammered by the stuff behind.

USPS is great with claims and you should have no trouble recovering the cost of repair.  But don't sit on it.  Get down to the USPS and fill out the forms and talk with them.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 11:27:00 AM »
I recently had a longbow damaged in a PVC tube also, I went back to post office to file a claim on the damage, the clerk told me that they had to confiscate the bow! And that was insured for the full amount!
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »
A USPS insurance claim is a NIGHTMARE to go thru, I did it 1-1/2 year ago. It took talking to 14 different people and getting 14 different answers.
I finally got my insurance claim funds 6 months later. I now always have a signature conformation and go priority 2-3 day.
What I had happen was the bow was sold and sent to a gentleman's address and there was no bow in the PVC tube when he pulled the PVC tube cap off, the cap had been put back on ???????? I had enough great packing tape on the tube cover, it was cut by someone and put back on. His address was in a area with no body close.

Good luck it will take time and lots of time and lots of talking on the phone!!!!!!!
Odds are with the prepared..

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 09:24:00 AM »
Yes, if it is a total loss the USPS usually keeps everything. If it can be repaired that is what the claim should be for- cost of repairs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©