3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Northwest NC Public Land Tradgang Hunt (HUNT DATE SET PG.5)  (Read 1783 times)

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Guys,

Ive had a couple of guys inquiring about the hunt idea that mentioned on the NC turkey bowhunting thread. Seems there is quite a bit of interest, with that being said, i  thought i would start a thread on it and see where it goes.

I was thinking about hunting some game land here in Ashe, (there are 3) I dont really want to put too much info out on the internet about it but there seems to be plenty of good sign on it. By good sign i mean plenty of rubs and scrapes and such, i have also bumped several deer while scouting.

I don't want anyone thinking however that this would be a cake walk with 5k deer running everywhere begging to get shot because that simply isn't the case. I have been lucky enough over the years to have access to a lot of properties, and when i scout this i don't get the impression that there are a million deer, but i do get the impression i could kill a stud in there. The terrain is steep, and a lot of walking will be a necessity.  Climbing stand will be your best bet, and i can promise you that you will want a light one.

There is no hunting on public ground on Sundays, so a Thursday-saturday evening or friday and saturday would be our best bet i would think. I am still looking into campgrounds in the area, but at most it would be 12-15min away from the hunting area. Camping will be a blast, maybe we can put together a meal plan and eat good while we are "roughing it."

As far as dates, i really need to know what works best for you guys, i live here so i can hunt almost anytime so long as it doesnt interfere with a weekend i will be in OH. I plan on going to a PBS hunt sometime in late October early November (maybe both) put on by Mr. Holchin, so that kinda rules out late Oct as i can think of at least 3-4 that want to be on this hunt that are lined up for OH those weekends too.

That leaves us with the 3 weekends in Oct, the weekends of the 1st, 8th, and 15th. Maybe the end of September would work better for some? Like i said, we need to discuss that.

To be legal you will obviously need your NC license, as well as a Game Land license, which you can get for $15 at anywhere selling licenses.

For any flatlanders interested, it can get cold in Oct up here, I've hunted in snow in bow season plenty of times. More than likely though, it will be a nice temperature.

Forgive me, i am sure i have forgotten a ton of info, just point out all I've forgotten. You don't have to be from NC to join, but there really should be a limit of around 6-8 or so, but I'm sure life will happen, and people will have to cancel, so if you're interested let me know.

Well, lets see where it goes. Info i need to know from you guys is
1. Are you interested/coming.
2. What dates work best for you.
3. Any clever ideas for the hunt name

What say ye?

Dalton      :coffee:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Online Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Northwest NC Public Land Tradgang Hunt (HUNT DATE SET PG.5)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
I am interested.

I have not hunted in NC, in the 18 years I have lived here.  That is going to change this year.  I went north-west of here 2 weeks ago, on a driving/exploring trip of NC game lands, but didn't make it to Ashe Co.  

I can make most dates, as long as I know a bit in advance - need to make sure my work can be covered in my absence.

My skills are rusty as an old iron gate, I know.  I may be lucky to see a white flag, much less have a shot.  But I will do whatever needs to be done.  And that means not for a deer, but to help ensure the quality of the trip for everyone involved.

If there is room, I am interested.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 06:56:00 PM »
I am interested, maybe pin down a.month to set dates in? Do we stay in bow season or do we compete with rifle crowd? Don't bother me either way. I thing y'all's rifle opener is later than ours is in the east? I was just thinking be cool to camp when it is COOLER! LOL

Hunt name? Let me think
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »
I'm interested, also….

When do acorns start to fall in the mountains? If we could time it with mast on the ground that might make for a better hunt and easier to pinpoint some good stand locations…

I like the end of September weekend just because its still hot here in the piedmont and I'm assuming it will be cooler in Ashe county which would be a good thing…
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
Still blazin here on the coast as well -
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »
You better hope the acorns dont hit, nothing makes for harder hunting than when every oak tree on the mountain hits, total shot in the dark. Hopefully they will miss this year and we can find a few that produce and the deer will concentrate on them.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline monk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
Interested

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 07:38:00 AM »
Great Idea Dalton.

I usually find when setting up trips like this is, you will never have a  date that works for everyone.

Best thing to do is set a  date now based on what you want and then see who can make it.

I look forward to hearing how this thing goes this fall.

Good luck and have fun.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 11:11:00 AM »
True on the oaks if a heavy mast crop - Few trees producing is better but early season a food source we can focus on is a good thing….I'm assuming no food plots or anything like that on the GL...

I'm sure you mountain boys can help us on what they like to eat at that time of year in the mountains….
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
Sounds like it's destined to become the Three Top Trad Trek!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
I do the best hunting the "hallway" between the bedroom and kitchen, matters not whats on the table in the kitchen if you can figure out the hallway. With that said, if the kitchen is 2k acres of oak trees its hard to figure out which part of the kitchen theyre going to!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 07:39:00 PM »
1) Definitely interested in coming    :wavey:  
2) Early October would work the best for me!
3) BBD in NC (that'd be nice), The Ashe Deer Bash, Husky & the Boys. Haha there's a few options

I'm in Sneads Ferry right now but would be willing to make the trek. Been meaning to make one of these TradGang hunts    :thumbsup:
Semper Fidelis

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 06:53:00 AM »
Dalton I'll try to help ya out on this one.

Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »
I'll definitely need it if 6 or 8 make it.

Another thing that is going on in oh this fall is a scouting trip. Would anyone be interested in doing that one weekend this summer?
------------
Dalton Lewis

Online Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 05:56:00 PM »
I'll make a summer scout trip.  Whatever I can do to help.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 04:52:00 PM »
Here are a few pics i finally got around to loading. I just snapped some shots of rubs while i was scouting to prove to my buddy ethan i had found deer lol. A couple of these are dang good rubs and the picture doesnt do it justice.

[/[URL=http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/huskyarcher/media/1BB608D8-D1B1-4B2D-9E55-5D37087EF6E9_zpswlkepjqp.jpg.html]

I was snapchatting the photos to ethan, and found a little bench that has deadly written all over it, loaded with rubs and scrapes.

------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »
Wow Dalton those are some immense rubs!

Offline James Parker

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Huntworthy Productions
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2016, 12:32:00 AM »
hey guys ,,i would like to get in on some of the hunting  you may be doing this season ,,  i live  no more than  three minutes from the three  top game lands,, I also used to be a private conservation officer  right across the road from the game lands ,, I may be able to help    guide you around , let me know...
 james parker

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
Dalton, I'm definitely interested, can come over for a day of scouting and can help with the cooking/planning.

Are you thinking about trying to get stands up or ground hunting in GMA?
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
You are more than welcome Mr. Parker, on one condition-you bring some of your sweet bows to play with!

I was thinking climbers, you can try the ground, but winds up here litteraly blow in circles so i dont think that it would be very productive.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©